Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for other people who are towing the max or close to it with the passport on a regular basis. Can't find a towing thread anywhere to discuss with said people.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There isn't one yet. This forum is new and it takes a while for the administrators to add sub-forums in the correct place. But you can make a request in the "Issue, Help, and Feedback" forum and they will eventually add it. If they would just make stevenD a moderator, this place would be a well-oiled machine. :whistle:

·
461 Posts
Recently added the ATF cooler so I will be able to tow about 4000 to 4100 pounds of boat starting after Memorial Day for the cabin season in MN - will be towing about 2x mo 220 miles each time / will report back if any issues

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recently added the ATF cooler so I will be able to tow about 4000 to 4100 pounds of boat starting after Memorial Day for the cabin season in MN - will be towing about 2x mo 220 miles each time / will report back if any issues
Did you get ATF cooler from dealer? Did you install or dealer? Price for ATF cooler install?

·
461 Posts
Did you get ATF cooler from dealer? Did you install or dealer? Price for ATF cooler install?
I had the ATF installed at the dealer very recently (I’m somewhat handy but any electrical things I will not tackle plus ithe installation is under warranty too / sorta how I justified the cost in my mind?) I had the oem hitch and harness already on it but I needed to tow more than 3500 / I paid 500 for the whole kit (atf with installation) the dealer price matched the atf and gave me a pretty good discount for installation, as it was over 650 total and I also had tailgate welcome lights installed at the same time which they discounted too - so pretty convoluted but I’m a happy camper ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the ATF installed at the dealer very recently (I’m somewhat handy but any electrical things I will not tackle plus ithe installation is under warranty too / sorta how I justified the cost in my mind?) I had the oem hitch and harness already on it but I needed to tow more than 3500 / I paid 500 for the whole kit (atf with installation) the dealer price matched the atf and gave me a pretty good discount for installation, as it was over 650 total and I also had tailgate welcome lights installed at the same time which they discounted too - so pretty convoluted but I’m a happy camper ?
Is 650 for the whole hitch? or 1150? either way seems steep! thanks

·
461 Posts
Is 650 for the whole hitch? or 1150? either way seems steep! thanks
It was for the atf and installation only and it was Hondas advertised price and it was like 20 more than the 650 but I didn’t pay that - if u add the hitch and harness cost I bet it’s well over a grand

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined the forum with questions about towing which I posted in New Member Introduction Section. Looking for the maximum tongue weight after the ATF etc is installed, seeing as how I can't find it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just joined the forum with questions about towing which I posted in New Member Introduction Section. Looking for the maximum tongue weight after the ATF etc is installed, seeing as how I can't find it.
500lb for the AWD model. Doesn't matter if the ATF is installed or not for the tongue weight, just the overall trailer weight.

Also always try and keep the tongue weight as close to 10-15% of overall trailer weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked at the installation instructions for the trailer hitch. The dealer had to disassemble the entire rear bumper area, which looked like more than a regular mechanic could handle (and we all know how they like to leave out screws or strip threads). Any new rattles upon reassembly?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I insta
I looked at the installation instructions for the trailer hitch. The dealer had to disassemble the entire rear bumper area, which looked like more than a regular mechanic could handle (and we all know how they like to leave out screws or strip threads). Any new rattles upon reassembly?
I installed it myself. No need to take the entire bumper off and then separate the two pieces. It can be done with bumper still on the vehicle.

As far as rattles afterwards, it's as quiet as the day I bought it but I can now tow.

Hardest part was the wiring for me. It wasn't super clear, and you do have to remove brand new pieces from the cars interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m looking for an aftermarket hitch for a bike rack. Research reveals no listings for Passport.Does anyone know if those for 2019 Pilots will work?
Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m looking for an aftermarket hitch for a bike rack. Research reveals no listings for Passport.Does anyone know if those for 2019 Pilots will work?
Thanks
Yes the pilot hitch fits with modifications. I'd say it's easier just to buy from the dealer than to worry about screwing up. I got mine for $260 OTD from dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for other people who are towing the max or close to it with the passport on a regular basis. Can't find a towing thread anywhere to discuss with said people.
Just bought 4000lb travel trailer and a Passport to pull it. Highway speeds out the automatic transmission. POOR POOR performance. Mileage was 4 miles to gallon. Gear shifting was comical. Took state roads back in S instead of D . manually shifting the last 200 miles worked nicer 11 mph. The tongue weight was within manual specs but still have my low beams as high beams. And left rear wheel camber is noticeably off . Need now to look into air shocks after maket, dealer says they have nothing to help Other than the rear tail gate not going all the way up. And when in reverse with the trailer hooked up the cars yells at me that I am to close to something.

·
461 Posts
Just bought 4000lb travel trailer and a Passport to pull it. Highway speeds out the automatic transmission. POOR POOR performance. Mileage was 4 miles to gallon. Gear shifting was comical. Took state roads back in S instead of D . manually shifting the last 200 miles worked nicer 11 mph. The tongue weight was within manual specs but still have my low beams as high beams. And left rear wheel camber is noticeably off . Need now to look into air shocks after maket, dealer says they have nothing to help Other than the rear tail gate not going all the way up. And when in reverse with the trailer hooked up the cars yells at me that I am to close to something.
I’m towing about 4K next weekend (Memorial weekend) and hope I get much better gas mileage and performance honestly a little nervous now ? so we shall see ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is hearing a horrible "squeaking noise" coming from the area where the hitch attaches to the frame. I'm towing a 910# trailer, with a 900# motorcycle. Add the people and luggage, maybe coming in around 2500# (liberal estimate). The engine performs pretty well, but this sound I'm hearing almost makes me feel like the hitch is going to rip from the vehicle and is making me nervous to go on a long, long haul.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts