Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Check out this thread from a few months ago.

I posted several pictures of stock handsfree bracket/sensor, and 'relocation' bracket/sensor.

They can unplug the 2 long sensors, cut the stock plastic bracket (which is identical to the bracket supplied with the relocation kit), and reinstall the modified bracket without sensors attached. If you wish to have handsfree later, you can order it at that time; when you receive the kit, simply unplug the stubby sensors from new kit, and install (plug'n play) them into the plastic bracket that installer already modified and installed.
Thanks PANDA!
Will give them a call and might go that route,

·
Registered
60 Posts
With a hitch rack installed you will likely find that you will want to turn off the hands free sensor.

Mine would automatically open when walking really close by the back of the car while parked in the garage. If this happens when parked in a tight garage or with the hitch rack on, the result aren't going to be good.

I have also placed a plastic cover over the rear tailgate switch on the driver door which I have to lift up to operate the switch, just to make myself think twice before opening the hatch when the bike rack is installed.

If I would have known this before installing the hitch I wouldn't have paid for the relocation.

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
With a hitch rack installed you will likely find that you will want to turn off the hands free sensor.

Mine would automatically open when walking really close by the back of the car while parked in the garage. If this happens when parked in a tight garage or with the hitch rack on, the result aren't going to be good.

I have also placed a plastic cover over the rear tailgate switch on the driver door which I have to lift up to operate the switch, just to make myself think twice before opening the hatch when the bike rack is installed.

If I would have known this before installing the hitch I wouldn't have paid for the relocation.
Good idea. Since my hands free has never worked, it will probably be super sensitive with my luck!

Would there be any repercussions to leaving the OEM sensor in place and the hitch covering the sensor and NOT installing the relocation Kit?

BTW - did your tailgate get jacked up? Can you post a photo if so?

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
243 Posts
Good idea. Since my hands free has never worked, it will probably be super sensitive with my luck!

Would there be any repercussions to leaving the OEM sensor in place and the hitch covering the sensor and NOT installing the relocation Kit?
OEM Handsfree Tailgate Sensor bracket occupies same space as the Honda hitch; resulting in requirement to cut the bracket to remove the blockage, and the shorter sensor rods.

As posted earlier, suggest cutting and remounting OEM bracket without OEM long sensors rods. Your sensor wiring connector (attached to the plastic bracket) will remain in place (so you don't have to resecure it somewhere else under vehicle). And you can also go thru your Display Audio [Engine on - Home - Vehicle - Power Tailgate Handsfree - Off] to turn off power to the Liftgate Handsfree circuit.

·
Super Moderator
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OEM Handsfree Tailgate Sensor bracket occupies same space as the Honda hitch; resulting in requirement to cut the bracket and the shorter sensor rods.

As posted earlier, suggest cutting and remounting OEM bracket without OEM long sensors rods. You can also go thru your Display Audio [Engine on - Home - Vehicle - Power Tailgate Handsfree - Off] to turn off power to the Liftgate Handsfree circuit.
Yeah, I’ll have them do the Disconnect and turn it off in the display too. I have your screen shot of how to do that still. Thanks bud!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts