Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got the car and had 40 miles, now it has 290 miles, the engine sounds a bit rough is this an issue or it will smooth out with usage?

·
Registered
113 Posts
My Touring has 800 miles and couldn't be running smoother. It has been like this since day one.
I would have it checked out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Touring has 800 miles and couldn't be running smoother. It has been like this since day one.
I would have it checked out.
Thanks Steve,

It drives smooth but the engine sounds rough when listening to it closely.

I called the dealer and he is saying it's normal for new cars.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Reply #1: That's normal for new/used/old/dirty cars. Circle the right word.
Reply #2: We were unable to duplicate the item.
Reply #3: We have our best man working on it.

Reactions: ErnieD2

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
2,246 Posts
What kind of vehicle did you have before? Could you have had a Prius with a tiny engine or mostly battery charged car?

I noticed my Passport sounds ‘beefier’ - if that’s the right word? My CRV was a 4 cylinder v-tec and the Passport is a 6 cylinder v-tec so it has much more umph that’s noticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of vehicle did you have before? Could you have had a Prius with a tiny engine or mostly battery charged car?

I noticed my Passport sounds ‘beefier’ - if that’s the right word? My CRV was a 4 cylinder v-tec and the Passport is a 6 cylinder v-tec so it has much more umph that’s noticeable.
I had Azera and before a Benz, so in general had mostly sedans.
I asked a mechanic and he said it's the A20 oil that Passport takes, something to do with the viscosity of this oil.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had Azera and before a Benz, so in general had mostly sedans.
I asked a mechanic and he said it's the A20 oil that Passport takes, something to do with the viscosity of this oil.
I would not consult with that "mechanic" anymore. His statement is a load of BS.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would not consult with that "mechanic" anymore. His statement is a load of BS.
That's for sure;
"Has something to do with the viscosity of the oil" is technical BS' that , in this case a 'mechanic', might use is to easily impress and confuse someone. ALI does not say what car manufacturer the 'mechanic' specializes in. Obviously not a Honda mechanic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Could it be with the new type aluminum hood, the engine noise is just more prominent now?

I've tried a couple times to step on it on the highway to get that cool, little engine sound I've seen on some Youtube vids reviews. Mine hasn't done that yet. Of course with just over 400 miles in 3 weeks, I'm not trying to over-rev the RPMS too much on this new engine. Maybe after a couple thousand or so miles, I'll really give it the beans to listen for that cool little engine roar(?) . ;?)
Car dealers mechanics' saying, "that's normal" reply is the most frustrating thing I can have them say. Or " it didn't do it for us:". Grrr....

So far, my Passport has been very smooth sailing. peace, e.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could it be with the new type aluminum hood, the engine noise is just more prominent now?

I've tried a couple times to step on it on the highway to get that cool, little engine sound I've seen on some Youtube vids reviews. Mine hasn't done that yet. Of course with just over 400 miles in 3 weeks, I'm not trying to over-rev the RPMS too much on this new engine. Maybe after a couple thousand or so miles, I'll really give it the beans to listen for that cool little engine roar(?) . ;?)
Car dealers mechanics' saying, "that's normal" reply is the most frustrating thing I can have them say. Or " it didn't do it for us:". Grrr....

So far, my Passport has been very smooth sailing. peace, e.
Try it in sport mode. The higher RPM's makes it give the satisfying vrrrooom sound you are searching for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Try it in sport mode. The higher RPM's makes it give the satisfying vrrrooom sound you are searching for.
Yepper, was thinking that might do it. I've only kicked it into Sports mode once on the hiway the other day and just for a few seconds. Sure can feel the difference. I didn't gas it then cause I was heading to a gas station and didn't want to chance running her dry with a lead foot, LOL. And again, new engine, only 400+ miles, taking her easy for a few more miles.

I have a fool tank and heading to the Hill Country Saturday. Might try it then. I've been trying out ECO mode, sure feel the difference but I think on a long highway run, I could live with it. Retired; so I aint in no hurry to be nowhere soon, ? Wait, what? peace y'all, e

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it stumbling or is it more like a "chatter"? The chatter is the direct injection that can be quite prominent when the engine is warming up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi guys,

I got the car and had 40 miles, now it has 290 miles, the engine sounds a bit rough is this an issue or it will smooth out with usage?
Mine smooth as silk from mile #12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts