Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking of getting the 2019 passport over the pilot. One of my concerns are the tires. I read that they 20" do not run smoothly. I also fear that they will not do well in the snow. Are there tires I can put on these wheels that will do well in the snow? Suggestions and economical ones please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking of getting the 2019 passport over the pilot. One of my concerns are the tires. I read that they 20" do not run smoothly. I also fear that they will not do well in the snow. Are there tires I can put on these wheels that will do well in the snow? Suggestions and economical ones please.
Thanks.
The ride feels very smooth to me and quiet. Some of the quietest tires I've had on my last few vehicles. As far as snow, I don't know.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,040 Posts
The ride feels very smooth to me and quiet. Some of the quietest tires I've had on my last few vehicles. As far as snow, I don't know.
Same with mine, very smooth, handles fine, tastes great AND less filling...!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had concerns at first as well but after a month of ownership I have no complaints. Smooth quiet ride and it handles great for a car of this size and height. On a side not, I often think 20" tires look odd and too large on some cars, but I don't think that happens on the Passport. Maybe it's the wheel well size and general bulk of the car, but they seem to even look just right. I've changed my mind and think Honda made the right choice. I will however reserve judgment on the Continentals as a choice of tire brand until after I've racked up some more miles.

·
461 Posts
My stock tires have been great but I really like 407’s wheels and was liking David’s tires too, uh oh, more money ? (I recently shopped tires and didn’t see 407’s)

·
461 Posts
Well I chose to keep our stock wheels as I just returned from Tires Plus with a warranty including rotation that I just learned about from Passporter (didn’t know they did that) so I think that bodes well for our tires cause I chose to stay with them (choice, 100 or 1000+ for 407s tires, so easy one for me) ??

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well I chose to keep our stock wheels as I just returned from Tires Plus with a warranty including rotation that I just learned about from Passporter (didn’t know they did that) so I think that bodes well for our tires cause I chose to stay with them (choice, 100 or 1000+ for 407s tires, so easy one for me) ??
Scooter Dude,
I missed the passporter’s tip. Could you explain. Realized I have a tires plus store 24 miles from me.
Thanks

·
461 Posts
Sorry dude, wasn’t paying att / it was discount tires / pls don’t hate me now ?‍♂

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry dude, wasn’t paying att / it was discount tires / pls don’t hate me now ?‍♂
No hate on my play ground. Found out called America’s tire in my zip code but closed until 3 pm in observance of Good Friday. Could you share what you paid and the specifics I.e how many miles and years. Just need a ball park figure to see if worth it. Sometimes good at finding dealer coupons for synthetic oil change and tire rotation for 49.00 but can’t always find coupon.
Thanks

·
461 Posts
That’s a cool way to live and look at life too (at least that’s what I tell the kiddos) and I was kidding but realize I loose sarcasm with the interwebs ?. I paid a 100 quid for basically a tire road hazard warranty on my tires for the next 3 years which includes rotationss and cheaper than my Honda dealer (I’m going to Ireland in a few weeks and preparing by using quid ?) / it’s unlimited miles but it needs to have legal tread length on it (don’t have the papers on me to say what the actual # is but I remember the legal length pretty clearly as I work in the legal world... I found it worth it for me/damn nice tires there tho ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
That’s a cool way to live and look at life too (at least that’s what I tell the kiddos) and I was kidding but realize I loose sarcasm with the interwebs ?. I paid a 100 quid for basically a tire road hazard warranty on my tires for the next 3 years which includes rotationss and cheaper than my Honda dealer (I’m going to Ireland in a few weeks and preparing by using quid ?) / it’s unlimited miles but it needs to have legal tread length on it (don’t have the papers on me to say what the actual # is but I remember the legal length pretty clearly as I work in the legal world... I found it worth it for me/damn nice tires there tho ?
Thanks my quote was 36 per tire so 144. I think it includes balance also. They also stated on phone as long as still have tread remaining will still work with you. But as a legal guy that was probably off record. I did find out could goto any America tire. That was good to know because some get better yelp reviews and seem not to be as crowded.
Thanks for tips Scooter Dude and Passporter

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello,

Thanks.
The 20" tires run smoothly but are useless if really going offroad. We drive on a beach and need a taller tire that can be aired down for more surface area. I'll be getting a set of 18" Ridgeline wheels to solve that issue.

As for snow, no personal experience yet but I think the OEM Contis would be pretty bad. I run dedicated winter tires but if you need one tire for year round then get a set of Nokian WRG4's. They are fantastic on snow & ice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts