Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Noted you have a 2019 model.
Stated it typically happened after engine warmed up,
but workorder stated techs removed the timing covers (to eliminate possibility of timing chain noise??) which is related to this TSB . . . ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd believe it was the fuel injectors if it wasn't intermittent but it comes and goes regardless of throttle or engine temperature. For example, it started immediately this morning then disappeared for a bit and when I pulled back in after a 45 minute drive, it was doing it again.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The noise comes and goes at will but is relative to the RPM of the engine and no apparent relation to throttle. It can happen for a 20 minute drive, not at all, show up half way through the drive then disappear just as quickly.. it's super strange.
[/QUOTE]
dumbtick19 - The noise is not normal. I have been following your posts. I do not recall any other PP owner saying their PP makes the noise you recorded. I know mine, after 20k miles does not. You gave Honda an opportunity to remedy the situation. Now is the time for you to initiate some action on your part. As I suggested previously, look in your manual and do the necessary work to file for binding arbitration. It is a simple process and It does not cost anything. Honda has to participate. The independent arbitration company works to keep the timeline very short. Honda will send a representative to the hearing. The arbiter will go along for a drive with you. You may be told it is a design defect. If so, you will lose. However, if it is a manufacturing defect, you will win. If it was a design defect all PPs will be making the same noise under the same conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm at my wits end! Our 2019 Honda Passport started having a ticking noise late last year and so far two different dealerships have not fixed it. The first claimed the sound was normal and the second the technician there actually told us to stop driving it because it wasn't supposed to be making that noise, yet here I sit months later and it's still ticking. The problem seems to be that Honda corporate sent a technician and he wasn't able to reproduce the intermittent noise which means Honda corporate can't make a recommendation to fix it, therefore the dealership can say "well we tried!" and gave the car back to us. That was two days ago and while the noise seems to have gotten quieter, my wife and I have both heard it again.

I'm not sure what else to do since I've already spoken with the GM of dealership #2 and he didn't seem very interested in helping us out, saying talk to corporate about it, which I already have and they said talk to the GM of the dealership... I've also heard multiple times how everything is documented so if something were to happen, Honda will cover it. When I hear that I hear "We don't know what's wrong so lets wait until the engine blows up and your family is stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.. THEN we'll fix it."

Check out the video of the noise for yourself
and see what 11 weeks of being at dealership #2 produced for a write-up. What else do I do? Create a twitter account and start tagging Honda in it to get something to happen? I'm not sure what else to do. View attachment 11733
OK - I had a similar problem with the 3.5 V6 on my 2006 Ridgeline RTL which nobody could or would fix. It sounded like engine knocking from low octane gasoline. We even tried Valve Medic thinking that the lifters were sticking. The dealership was just a den of vipers.

Check your plugs! Sometimes the plugs can start to back themselves out with this engine. Mine had done that and the ticking sound was actually the plug arcing. It wasn't until it actually 'exploded' before I got a check engine light and the problem became obvious. If you do not have a code scanner - best $110 you will ever spend - go to a parts store like Advanced Auto Parts, etc and see if they'll run a scan for you. Mine came up with a reading "Number 2 cyl misfire". Changed out the plug and replaced the coil pack, made sure the other plugs were secure and I haven't had the problem since. Still driving it. It's really the only problem I've ever had with my Ridgeline.

Good luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts