Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking it's past time to replace my 30+ year old Sears Roof Box. Compared to what's available nowadays it's big, boxy, old, ugly and flimsy .
I haven't physically looked at either product, I just know these (Thule/ Yakima) are now the most popular (aerodynamic) offerings.

Which brand would y'all recommend? Yes money would be a concern but over another 20+ years it really won't matter; chances are I won't be here that long, let alone still driving.

Another question: what is the roof length of our PPs? I don't want a box so long it'll interfere/ overhang.

I believe a small/ medium would easily meet our current needs (we no longer have kids at home). I guess I should clarify, dogs and grandkids don't count.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By memory I believe I purchased this around 1987 and originally used it on an 84 Sentra Stationwagon, choc brown 5 speed, w/ manual windows & seats.
As I was coming from a 4 speed I kept forgetting the extra gear.

I traded it once my dealer got in a fancy 89 Accord w/ a 5 speed stick. I kept the Sears box.

·
Registered
112 Posts
About 2 years ago I bought a new Thule mid-size roof box for about $600. While away on a ski vacation in Maine at -24 degrees the plastic sliding locking mechanism shattered into pieces and the lid would not lock. Thankfully I had Thule straps with me and was able to strap it shut for the 5 hour ride home. I replaced it with a $900 Thule Hyper 612 and this is the best roof box ever! Super sturdy, easy to install/remove and just the right size for 188 cm skis. However, I just checked Thule's website and it appears to be discontinued. When I googled it I see that Amazon still sells it. I would grab one before they are extinct.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! That is the type of response(s) I was hoping for.

I still have questions about it's fit on the PP; will it clear an open tailgate AND simultaneously not extend into the forward looking sensors field of vision?
Do you have a pic of it mounted on the PP? If so PLEASE post it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With ski season coming, I have been meaning to test fit the Thule Hyper roof box on the Passport. Just tried it and all is well. With the cross bars centered on the vehicle about 36" apart, it easily clears the open tailgate and the SAT antenna too. With Thule cross bars the box sits too high to interfere with the forward camera. I bet it would be fine if you use the Honda cross bars as well,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just saw that the Thule Hyper has been replaced by the new Thule Vector. Looks great but a little expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
I buy my duffle bag luggage from LL Bean and it has held up very well. Never tried Thule luggage.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With my old box we used garbage bags - so just about anything would be a step up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thank you! That is the type of response(s) I was hoping for.

I still have questions about it's fit on the PP; will it clear an open tailgate AND simultaneously not extend into the forward looking sensors field of vision?
Do you have a pic of it mounted on the PP? If so PLEASE post it.
I carry a 18'6" kayak and they don't interfere front or rear so a roof box should be no issue

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll bet that requires two to load (one front, one rear). Maybe a third to tie it down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
LOL!

Nope, just one old guy. I use Thule Hull-A-Vator... I load the kayak from the side... another pic. It's pretty easy loading unloading the kayak with this system. The kayak weighs 59 lbs.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I expected there to be many "strong" opinions on roof boxes; so to the two pertinent input providers I thank you.

Next question is ... how do I run this by my Chief Financial Officer? Purses, shoes, are acceptable purchases, but not car accessories. Remember I have a Sears box that still works.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Need pics of it (Yakima Showcase 15) on the PP.
Probably won't get around to mounting it until my next snowboard trip (not scheduled yet) since it's pretty heavy and really needs 2 people to mount (I used to brute-force it onto the Escape but the PP is definitely higher so not sure I can do it by myself)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts