Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to thread a wire into my passport via the passenger firewall grommet - big mistake - it turns out the loom splits AND there's the ventilation/air handler unit in the way. I've done this 2x before, and this was the worst attempt I've ever made that was unsuccessful. Two things made this hard:
1) There's a hard plastic firewall skin on the cabin side of the firewall at parts.
2) The loom splits in multiple directions as soon as it gets past the grommet.

I used a coat hanger, and made an ultra tight curl around a 3.5mm jack for my camera that I was wiring through the grommet. I poked through the top of grommet and then angled the wire to the passenger side of the car to get around the air handler. I took the glove box and glovebox trim off for better access, but the air handler was still in the way.

I found the coat hanger, and pulled on it but it was really stuck. I realized the tight curl for the 3.5mm was probably snagged in the OEM wires. I tried to push the coat hanger wire back out, but was unsuccessful. After scratching up my arm alot from all the reaching, I finally gave up and left the coat hanger in the loom. Patched the grommet back up with some 3M gasket maker, and called it a day.

Absolute waste of time, and super sad about it. I've done this in my s2k and my honda fit with no issues at all, but this car really stumped me. If the air handler wasn't in the way, I think I could've made this work out.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions to remove the air handler behind the glove box? It looks difficult to remove...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hate to say this, but you might want to consider spending $25 for a one day subscription. American Honda Motor Company, Inc. - Service Subscriptions

These things are so new that I am not aware of any repair manuals out for either the 2019 or 2020 models.

You could also consider speaking to the dealers service manager. They may be willing and able to print out for you what you need to know. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
209 Posts
yikes! probably requires some thing like removal of the dash...
Do you have a reputable audio installer you could have a look at it? Can't leave the hanger hanging. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry, didn't notice that you are in Canada, the subscription is only $10 for a day for the Canadian models.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like most of the parts on this car are shared with the Pilot, so I actually found someone's extensive set of downloads for the 2016 pilot service manual on the pilot forums.
Yeah, I looked, and it's called the HVAC control unit which requires removing the entire dash. Oof.

My temporary measure was to push the hanger through the grommet and then seal it up with 3M weatherstripping tape. At this point, it can just stay there since that are doesn't deal with movement of any sort, but I was just hoping for an easy way of getting the hanger out short of cutting the grommet open (and even then, trying to get to it from the engine bay side seems crazy hard).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I thought that they was a trap door, under the passenger floor mat, for wiring the lights to the running board accessory.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Huh. I'm way late to this thread but maybe this will help the next person:

I was able to get through both grommets on the firewall, driver and passenger side, without trouble, with 8 gauge wire. I did passenger first and then realized the driver side was much easier and more direct routing for what I was wiring (power).

I used a fish tape and caused no large damage to the grommets, they will probably self seal. I did cover them with high grade OEM-like electrical looming tape after the job.

Coat hangers are really not a great way to go through firewalls in my opinion, despite the popularity of using them this way. They snag and are sharp and a little too rigid top direct. A good fish tape can be had for like 10-15 bucks with a soft round end and very stiff but with enough give to direct.

The driver grommet is WAY easier to get through even though it seems harder because you cannot tell where it comes out and it feels like you cannot get through when you are pushing. The hole actually goes straight through and pops out behind one of the visible modules in the footwell, so if you get the fishtape to go upward after crashing into the module, you are done without all that hassle of structure in the dash that is in the passenger well. Also, the battery is on the driver side, so to anyone routing power cable, avoid the crazy routing to the passenger grommet and back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Huh. I'm way late to this thread but maybe this will help the next person:

I was able to get through both grommets on the firewall, driver and passenger side, without trouble, with 8 gauge wire. I did passenger first and then realized the driver side was much easier and more direct routing for what I was wiring (power).

I used a fish tape and caused no large damage to the grommets, they will probably self seal. I did cover them with high grade OEM-like electrical looming tape after the job.

Coat hangers are really not a great way to go through firewalls in my opinion, despite the popularity of using them this way. They snag and are sharp and a little too rigid top direct. A good fish tape can be had for like 10-15 bucks with a soft round end and very stiff but with enough give to direct.

The driver grommet is WAY easier to get through even though it seems harder because you cannot tell where it comes out and it feels like you cannot get through when you are pushing. The hole actually goes straight through and pops out behind one of the visible modules in the footwell, so if you get the fishtape to go upward after crashing into the module, you are done without all that hassle of structure in the dash that is in the passenger well. Also, the battery is on the driver side, so to anyone routing power cable, avoid the crazy routing to the passenger grommet and back.

Could you give an idea s to where that grommet is located on the drivers side? Im gonna install a light bar soon and would prefer this routing method for the on off switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may, or may not, help but there are some diagrams online that could direct you to where the different grommets and acces points are.

Best of luck.

Thanks so much, i appreciate the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts