Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good morning PG,

For your MSM living in the moist PNW now, I would recommend this:

Easy to apply to a properly prepped and polished vehicle, 2 coats done in your garage, allowed to cure. 50ml should be plenty as you use it sparingly. Last sedan I did w/ CQuartz UK, there was enough left over for me to apply 2 coats to a Honda scooter.

Good morning PG,

For your MSM living in the moist PNW now, I would recommend this:

Easy to apply to a properly prepped and polished vehicle, 2 coats done in your garage, allowed to cure. 50ml should be plenty as you use it sparingly. Last sedan I did w/ CQuartz UK, there was enough left over for me to apply 2 coats to a Honda scooter.
That’s for sure more in my current budget.
With the Xpel PPF, do you think I can polish it before app

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
an
It is suggested but not required. If you do back they do a decontaminate wash that removes anything that may have adhered to the ceramic that normal washing may not remove. I don’t see much of anything that would stick because it is so easy to clean off. If they see any spots that didn’t hold up for any reason they will reapply that area no charge. I am 100% impressed with the coating. I will do it to every car I own.
Some industry insider info for you, your coating is also subject to contamination and will require a clay and chemical decontamination at some point, the manufacturer claims of 6 years are incredibly optimistic for a daily driven vehicle.It's a sacrificial layer to protect the Clear, it's not bullet proof. I inform my clients that they can expect with meticulous up keep with proper products and care, keeping it in a garage, limiting excessive UV exposure/Elements, you will come reasonably close to that claim of 2-6 years, depending on what brand. The real world can expect from a daily driver, about 65-70% of that claim. Again all this depends on many factors, preparation, application process and environment, storage, maintenance, products. Blah, blah, blah... It's all part of their sales pitch, this is an expensive service. Guess who the target market is? Well to do, financially comfortable folks that like the idea of keeping it look good but really don't want to actually put forth the effort. It's big $ for dealers to add on as an option, they find economical options like Armorall extreme shield, Permeplate, etc.
The benefits are many, I use them my self. It's all the rage and has been for the last 10 years, Big $$$$
That's why the buzz words like SiO2 and Graphene are used to nauseam.
Gotta keep it fresh and new and exciting, Marketing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
an

Some industry insider info for you, your coating is also subject to contamination and will require a clay and chemical decontamination at some point, the manufacturer claims of 6 years are incredibly optimistic for a daily driven vehicle.It's a sacrificial layer to protect the Clear, it's not bullet proof. I inform my clients that they can expect with meticulous up keep with proper products and care, keeping it in a garage, limiting excessive UV exposure/Elements, you will come reasonably close to that claim of 2-6 years, depending on what brand. The real world can expect from a daily driver, about 65-70% of that claim. Again all this depends on many factors, preparation, application process and environment, storage, maintenance, products. Blah, blah, blah... It's all part of their sales pitch, this is an expensive service. Guess who the target market is? Well to do, financially comfortable folks that like the idea of keeping it look good but really don't want to actually put forth the effort. It's big $ for dealers to add on as an option, they find economical options like Armorall extreme shield, Permeplate, etc.
The benefits are many, I use them my self. It's all the rage and has been for the last 10 years, Big $$$$
That's why the buzz words like SiO2 and Graphene are used to nauseam.
Gotta keep it fresh and new and exciting, Marketing.
Wow thanks for the info. I know that the coating is not bulletproof but I can say that it is better than any wax I have ever applied. I guess I fall I the target market, but I'll also add "has kids who are involved in every activity available and don't have time to properly detail the vehicle". LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those of us that had a professional Ceramic coat put on our vehicles I take my passport to a hand car wash every other Thursday and touch up spots they might of missed. For 12 dollars it’s worth it and they vacuum the weather tech floor mats.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
For those of us that had a professional Ceramic coat put on our vehicles I take my passport to a hand car wash every other Thursday and touch up spots they might of missed. For 12 dollars it’s worth it and they vacuum the weather tech floor mats.
Where is the hand car wash? There is only one super dicey looking drive thru and 2 self wash bays that are a hot mess here. I can’t wait for a garage and driveway. I’m buying something like this and a 6’ ladder among many things…

2 in 1 Microfiber Car Wash Mop Mitt with 45" Aluminum Alloy Long Handle,Chenille Car Cleaning Kit Brush Duster with Scratch Free for Washing Car/Truck/RV,2 Mop Head and 1 Towels and Air Vent Duster

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
That’s for sure more in my current budget.
With the Xpel PPF, do you think I can polish it before app
Yes, you'll need to tape off the ppf edge as it should not be polished. That has it's own and specific coating application if ever wanted.

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
108 Posts
In NJ There are Car Hand washing all over the place. A lot of people believe that the mechanical car wash affects the paint over years of doing it.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
In NJ There are Car Hand washing all over the place. A lot of people believe that the mechanical car wash affects the paint over years of doing it.
I am one of those a lot of people, once is all it takes, not years. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to those that have to, need to or want to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the PNW, you don't have to worry about road salt which is a scourge in the rust belt and NE. But, you do have to be concern with moss in the PNW. Surprisingly, a neighbor (keeps his car relatively clean but parks outside) was scrubbing out moss between the seams of his car. I no longer have a photo of another that would scare you... moss growing along the seam of a black vinyl bra and the car's hood. However, that car was neglected and had been sitting there for awhile. Buy a good boar's hair detail brush for cleaning between the car's seams if you handwash your car.
Sorry for a super late reply but there is lots of salt applied here in W.WA state. Liquid and rock.
We had lots of snow last week, my F150 is covered with liquid salt residue.

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry for a super late reply but there is lots of salt applied here in W.WA state. Liquid and rock.
We had lots of snow last week, my F150 is covered with liquid salt residue.
this last week has been crazy here for weather too! 🥶🥶
And here they put sand down with little pebbles that fly up.
thankfully, I have a short 3 mile drive to and from work and that’s about it.

In the PNW, you don't have to worry about road salt which is a scourge in the rust belt and NE. But, you do have to be concern with moss in the PNW. Surprisingly, a neighbor (keeps his car relatively clean but parks outside) was scrubbing out moss between the seams of his car. I no longer have a photo of another that would scare you... moss growing along the seam of a black vinyl bra and the car's hood. However, that car was neglected and had been sitting there for awhile. Buy a good boar's hair detail brush for cleaning between the car's seams if you handwash your car.
I saw moss on a coworkers car in the parking lot at work today! Yuck!
but this still gives me anxpiety.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Tire

Reactions: BigJosh

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Our "sand" is more like pea gravel. All over our driveway from melted snow
same here. And it fly’s up from the road and hits vehicles! 🤷‍♀️

where about in the PNW are you at?

·
Super Moderator
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Reactions: BigJosh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes. OR coast gets crazy wind tho.
It kinda cleared out here yesterday, 38°.
Cloudy 32 now, roads starting to ice up.
PP is wife's rig, I drive 15 F150 daily.

·
Registered
2022 Passport EXL
18 Posts
Dealership talked me into Zxilon coating. We'll see if it works.
Bad part is that I can see a section of the hood that they missed. I'll take a closer look at the rest of the vehicle to see what else they missed then I'll take it back to have them fix it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts