Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been here since 9/14 now and already washed it twice.
We will have about another 5-6 days break in the rain for now.
I know leaving it out in the apartment parking overnight makes it worse.
And before I left HB, I did get a good coat of wax on it.
Hopefully once I get in my garage at night that will help!

And how often should I be washing it as well?

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
Well, it all depends on what is important to you and how meticulous you like things. It also depends on your time, detailing set up, routine, weather and desire. I wash mine 1X a week religiously, whether or not, some times more as needed ie; Beach/SUP trip, daytime sprinkler testing, etc. I'm known in the hood as the" 🤪guy" who washes his clean truck. I employ 2 routines of car detail washes, some of these are of the rinse less variety when only a superficial clean is in order. It saves a bit on time but that is debatable, again it's a superficial wash and I'm on the fence about it. If I'm going to do it, it's all or nothing. With the rinse less method you really cannot do the wheels and tires properly or what I would consider proper. Since my PP is coated, I've been toying with a pre-wash foaming prior to an actual 2 bucket hand wash. I'm seeing nice results from the process of pre-wash alone. Again, this is what I do and I'm set up well. How many nut jobs do you know that use a $1500 pressure washer set up to detail vehicles? I can further direct you to more info if you like,(tutorials, products, etc.) to your comfort and budget, of course, send a PM. 😉 Have a great Sunday.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The main thing is that it's protected with the wax. The rest is all subjective. Here in NY, I put the hoses away (early November) when the leaf raking season is over which means no more washes until spring. I try to get a good coat of wax on during one of the last warm days. I'll never go through an automated car wash so there are those self service places where I will just spray but really, once the salt goes down your car is dirty on the back and lower half as soon as you go on the side roads. That's why I value having a color that doesn't show too much dirt. Of course if there is a nice day I'll bring the hose out of hibernation.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, Chef…like you, I’m meticulous. I will have to adjust to the rainy season and getting my all weather mats dirty. I do keep a cordless dirt vac in the cargo area, but I’ve found it won’t pick up fine sand. And I even recently discovered a trail near my rental apartment that I can walk to and walk to the beach to avoid the sand. In my 17 or so years in HB, I walked or rode my bike to the beach to avoid this. Here my bike sits in the storage room until I get out of here and not have to bring it up and down stairs.

But not having access to my shop vac., amongst many things right now is driving me nuts! 🤪

I have always been religious about putting wax on all my vehicles 2x a year. I should probably up that here once I get the house? I did put the PPF on the front end of the Passport, side view mirrors and fenders for what that’s worth as well. Unfortunately, I couldn’t budget the ceramic coating before leaving. It had been a tough 600 days with no work and I needed to save where I could for my money pit (house).

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
The main thing is that it's protected with the wax. The rest is all subjective. Here in NY, I put the hoses away (early November) when the leaf raking season is over which means no more washes until spring. I try to get a good coat of wax on during one of the last warm days. I'll never go through an automated car wash so there are those self service places where I will just spray but really, once the salt goes down your car is dirty on the back and lower half as soon as you go on the side roads. That's why I value having a color that doesn't show too much dirt. Of course if there is a nice day I'll bring the hose out of hibernation.:)
Explain subjective to me or your thoughts. Having a color that "doesn't show grime, dirt, debris", doesn't mean or lessen the actual fact that there are contaminates on the vehicle surface. How long do you honestly believe your wax's micro thin porous layer of protection is going to actually protect the clear coat?

·
Registered
444 Posts
No doubt the protection isn't the best but it's all I can do and it's better than nothing or the sandblast high pressure car washes.. I've been using nu-finish for decades now and when I get rid of the cars they look awesome, family members line up for my cars.

For colors, I've found the charcoal gray colors the best at hiding the spots. I had a white Ridgeline and it drove me nuts how the wheel overspray would be all over the sides on the rear. Blues and Silvers are ok. I just got a Red RAV4 so we'll see how that goes, never had red before. If I want to get upset, I take a look at the undercarriage in February of car that was purchased in October.

By subjective I mean if you feel your car looks clean (not under a microscope of course) it's up to you if you want to wash it. Obviously you are OCD about this subject so even your efforts are probably falling short but in the end these are cars that for me start rusting and getting scratched the day they're born. I'm not convinced that constantly rubbing on these cars is the best for the paint so IMO, there is a balance, that's where the subjective is. I dread the day the salt goes down, usually within the first week of December, anything before that is a shame because it's there until April, gets in the garage, gets in the dog's paws so it gotta be dealt with.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
So, Chef…like you, I’m meticulous. I will have to adjust to the rainy season and getting my all weather mats dirty. I do keep a cordless dirt vac in the cargo area, but I’ve found it won’t pick up fine sand. And I even recently discovered a trail near my rental apartment that I can walk to and walk to the beach to avoid the sand. In my 17 or so years in HB, I walked or rode my bike to the beach to avoid this. Here my bike sits in the storage room until I get out of here and not have to bring it up and down stairs.

But not having access to my shop vac., amongst many things right now is driving me nuts! 🤪

I have always been religious about putting wax on all my vehicles 2x a year. I should probably up that here once I get the house? I did put the PPF on the front end of the Passport, side view mirrors and fenders for what that’s worth as well. Unfortunately, I couldn’t budget the ceramic coating before leaving. It had been a tough 600 days with no work and I needed to save where I could for my money pit (house).
Understood and completely feel the pain of not having what you want/need. All good. I bring a second pair of shoes, flip flops, slippers if it suits you to change into outside of the vehicle after hiking or beaching. You could always source a coin-op vacuum, be it either at a 7-11 or carwash. Remove them, shake them out and give them a quick rinse if you have a hose bib.

A good carnauba paste car wax will give you 3-4 months of protection, or, water beading (hydrophobic properties) depending on the temperature, storage environment, weather, washing, sun(uv) etc.
PG, if I may address you like that,😉... My issue with "conventional waxes, quick detailers, spray waxes" is that you need to excessively touch(rub) the paint surface. The more often you touch the more opportunity to introduce micro marring. As modern paints evolve and costs increase, paints and clear coats have become not only thinner, but softer complicating things thus further. What I'm saying is less is more, proper maintenance w/ quality tools and products combined with good washing/drying techniques, will add years to your painted surfaces. Eventually over time, even if careful and employ quality products, you're gonna introduce swirl marks and marring. Then you polish and protect.
You'll have a garage, ++
Rain is ok, it's when its left to dry and bake is where water spots develop, thus the importance of a good sacrificial layer of protection.
Don't let her get excessively filthy. Rinse at a minimum if you can't properly detail. Use quality products and techniques.
And for the good love of God, get a paint enhancement/correction and a ceramic coat when you can invest. It'll make all of this SO much easier and momma will be that much happier.

At the end of the day, it's a car. I just choose to keep it pristine.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
No doubt the protection isn't the best but it's all I can do and it's better than nothing or the sandblast high pressure car washes.. I've been using nu-finish for decades now and when I get rid of the cars they look awesome, family members line up for my cars.

For colors, I've found the charcoal gray colors the best at hiding the spots. I had a white Ridgeline and it drove me nuts how the wheel overspray would be all over the sides on the rear. Blues and Silvers are ok. I just got a Red RAV4 so we'll see how that goes, never had red before. If I want to get upset, I take a look at the undercarriage in February of car that was purchased in October.

By subjective I mean if you feel your car looks clean (not under a microscope of course) it's up to you if you want to wash it. Obviously you are OCD about this subject so even your efforts are probably falling short but in the end these are cars that for me start rusting and getting scratched the day they're born. I'm not convinced that constantly rubbing on these cars is the best for the paint so IMO, there is a balance, that's where the subjective is. I dread the day the salt goes down, usually within the first week of December, anything before that is a shame because it's there until April, gets in the garage, gets in the dog's paws so it gotta be dealt with.
Completely, overwhelmingly so, you have no idea...🤪. I appreciate your thoughts and words. TNX. I concur about the automated variety of car washing options, I'd just as soon chew glass but choose to leave it dirty. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chef - PG (or heather) is cool.

I use the Xpel ceramic boost spray on areas with the PPF, was using the last of this Meguires liquid wax on all other areas. And after my last sand castle I brought home on my pants and boots, I’m walking to the beach from now on.

I am not a fan of those waterless car washes either. Swirling around dirt with some chemicals, seems stupid? 🤔

I avoid the drive they brushed washes until the absolute last resort. There is a coin op wash down the street, their spray wash machines are crap. I spent $10 in quarters arguing with the sprayer settings yesterday. I’d put it on rinse and it was soap water, wax was rinse, tire cleaner was soap water, or something of that sorts, Super annoying. Their vacuums are great, just the layout of the driveway is a joke. You have to wait in line for the two car wash bays, drive thru them, get parked at a 90* turn to access them and you have to park close enough so those that don’t vacuum can drive thru, then you can’t open the passenger side doors because you had to park close. To say the least I was…🤬

I should be able to at least vacuum in my garage in a few weeks, it will be 2-3 weeks after escrow before I can move in so I can scrape the popcorn ceilings and put some flooring down.

And I will look at a ceramic coat, any DIY’s to save some $$ you recommend?

thanks for your suggestions!

Liquid Plant Human body Fluid Cosmetics

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive care

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
718 Posts
And how often should I be washing it as well?
In the PNW, you don't have to worry about road salt which is a scourge in the rust belt and NE. But, you do have to be concern with moss in the PNW. Surprisingly, a neighbor (keeps his car relatively clean but parks outside) was scrubbing out moss between the seams of his car. I no longer have a photo of another that would scare you... moss growing along the seam of a black vinyl bra and the car's hood. However, that car was neglected and had been sitting there for awhile. Buy a good boar's hair detail brush for cleaning between the car's seams if you handwash your car.

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the PNW, you don't have to worry about road salt which is a scourge in the rust belt and NE. But, you do have to be concern with moss in the PNW. Surprisingly, a neighbor (keeps his car relatively clean but parks outside) was scrubbing out moss between the seams of his car. I no longer have a photo of another that would scare you... moss growing along the seam of a black vinyl bra and the car's hood. However, that car was neglected and had been sitting there for awhile. Buy a good boar's hair detail brush for cleaning between the car's seams if you handwash your car.
All I can say is eww…but it makes sense. In the apartment the curb I park in front of never sees sun and has moss all over it. I’ve also got it on the outside of the chimney on the side that doesn’t see sun in the house I’m in escrow on. It’s one of the first projects when I get it and a tall enough ladder! But to grow on your car…🤢

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Btw - this will not defeat me keeping a clean Passport! I now walk…
Sky Cloud Plain Aeolian landform Landscape

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think if a car is parked out front, keeping it regularly washed alongside well maintained grounds helps maintain property value. It also tells everyone that cares to know that the occupants of the home are meticulous and attentive so do not try any funny business.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I used to wash, blow dry, and wax (Carnauba P21S wax) my cars twice a month, until I found Soft99 Fusso Coat.
I apply it very, very sparingly and it lasts (in direct sun) 9 months and lasts over a year if the car is kept in a garage. It's great at beading the water and allowing you to just rinse the car and blow dry it or take it on the Interstate, to wind dry.
There are a lot of You tube videos comparing it to almost everything on the market.

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
601 Posts
Once a week!
If you keep a good wax on your PP, then a costco pressure washer is all you need (during the rainy months). Takes 10 mins to knock off the dirt. I also have one of those foam cannon attachments, but doesn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
Chef - PG (or heather) is cool.

I use the Xpel ceramic boost spray on areas with the PPF, was using the last of this Meguires liquid wax on all other areas. And after my last sand castle I brought home on my pants and boots, I’m walking to the beach from now on.

I am not a fan of those waterless car washes either. Swirling around dirt with some chemicals, seems stupid? 🤔

I avoid the drive they brushed washes until the absolute last resort. There is a coin op wash down the street, their spray wash machines are crap. I spent $10 in quarters arguing with the sprayer settings yesterday. I’d put it on rinse and it was soap water, wax was rinse, tire cleaner was soap water, or something of that sorts, Super annoying. Their vacuums are great, just the layout of the driveway is a joke. You have to wait in line for the two car wash bays, drive thru them, get parked at a 90* turn to access them and you have to park close enough so those that don’t vacuum can drive thru, then you can’t open the passenger side doors because you had to park close. To say the least I was…🤬

I should be able to at least vacuum in my garage in a few weeks, it will be 2-3 weeks after escrow before I can move in so I can scrape the popcorn ceilings and put some flooring down.

And I will look at a ceramic coat, any DIY’s to save some $$ you recommend?

thanks for your suggestions!

View attachment 12711

View attachment 12713

Good morning PG,

For your MSM living in the moist PNW now, I would recommend this:

Easy to apply to a properly prepped and polished vehicle, 2 coats done in your garage, allowed to cure. 50ml should be plenty as you use it sparingly. Last sedan I did w/ CQuartz UK, there was enough left over for me to apply 2 coats to a Honda scooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
443 Posts
Have you looked into Ceramic coating? I got mine ceramic coated and it is so easy to take care of now, plus I never have to wax it for at least 5-6 years.

see my post here:
Ceramic Coated
That is the beauty of a quality coating. Does their 5 year warranty require you to go back to the installer 1x a year for evaluation?

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is the beauty of a quality coating. Does their 5 year warranty require you to go back to the installer 1x a year for evaluation?
It is suggested but not required. If you do back they do a decontaminate wash that removes anything that may have adhered to the ceramic that normal washing may not remove. I don’t see much of anything that would stick because it is so easy to clean off. If they see any spots that didn’t hold up for any reason they will reapply that area no charge. I am 100% impressed with the coating. I will do it to every car I own.

·
Super Moderator
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you looked into Ceramic coating? I got mine ceramic coated and it is so easy to take care of now, plus I never have to wax it for at least 5-6 years.
see my post here:
Unfortunately, I couldn’t budget the ceramic coating before leaving. It had been a tough 600 days with no work and I needed to save where I could for my money pit (house).

Reactions: PNWGarageDad
1 - 20 of 36 Posts