Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,708 Posts
Crx’s were great cars to. I had a 81 Prelude that was a fun car.
I had an 89 CRX, this is the only photo I have.

I wanted a Prelude, about 89-91 so bad, however, the insurance was too high for a teenager!
No idea why? Did they really have more HP or what was the deal?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
94 Posts
I had an 89 CRX, this is the only photo I have.

I wanted a Prelude, about 89-91 so bad, however, the insurance was too high for a teenager!
No idea why? Did they really have more HP or what was the deal?

View attachment 7162
Those were great, dependable and fun. My 81 Prelude was fun and I had it in high school. I loved the power moonroof. I got it used in 83 but they were hard to get and I got stuck with an automatic. It had the worst transmission and it used to bang into gear and shake the dashboard. It only had like 32,000 miles when I got it, but I sold it after a year.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Those were great, dependable and fun. My 81 Prelude was fun and I had it in high school. I loved the power moonroof. I got it used in 83 but they were hard to get and I got stuck with an automatic. It had the worst transmission and it used to bang into gear and shake the dashboard. It only had like 32,000 miles when I got it, but I sold it after a year.
Mine was a manual transmission and I didn’t even know how to drive it home from the dealership! 🤣

Do you recall if your prelude had a lot of HP?
I am still thinking about why their insurance was so high.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My 1985 Prelude had a 1,751cc engine, If I recall correctly. I had a 5-speed and yeah it was plenty fast. Once I was heading west on Warner and was stopped at Springdale and a Lamborghini Countach (look it up) pulled up along side me and I made damn sure I took him off the line (although I seriously doubt he knew we were racing)...

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
My 1985 Prelude had a 1,751cc engine, If I recall correctly. I had a 5-speed and yeah it was plenty fast. Once I was heading west on Warner and was stopped at Springdale and a Lamborghini Countach (look it up) pulled up along side me and I made damn sure I took him off the line (although I seriously doubt he knew we were racing)...
How is it I just know this is a true story...🤣🤣
- - I seriously doubt he knew we were racing)...

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine was a manual transmission and I didn’t even know how to drive it home from the dealership! 🤣

Do you recall if your prelude had a lot of HP?
I am still thinking about why their insurance was so high.
No my prelude had like 75 hp. I was driving a VW beetle so it felt much quicker. I think in 84 they got more power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I'm honest, my worst car was my first car, the 65 Mustang. It lived up to the ”found on road dead” joke, but it was 30 years old, and I loved it.

My 88 Chevy truck always had something wrong with it, and my 98 Passport’s motor blew up, so they were awful too.
Wasn't that year passport an izuzu rodeo?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Worst vehicle (‘s) 1st was my ‘83 Subaru GL wagon which I purchased in ‘87, my first and biggest complaint with it was an absolute lack of power and my second issue a common Subaru problem burning oil.

My second worst vehicle was a brand new 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon, we went to pick it up then drove it home and parked it the garage, the next morning we jumped in the car backed it out of the garage only to see approximately two quarts oil on the floor. After calling the Volvo dealer they showed up with a loaner car and put our new car on a flatbed to repair it, a week later we went back to the dealer to pick up our new car only to have the same problem happen that night. It goes without saying that we sold the vehicle several months later

·
Registered
384 Posts
70 VW Squareback hand me down, and another 74 VW Dasher hand me down. 2015 CRV was the only car I had a transmassion fail on other than my 77 Nova V8, Ironically, the car that frustrated me the most was my 2017 Ridgeline, all build quality related. Have had some Fords that were great and many Acuras and Hondas that were great. My dad had a 91 Legend that was fantastic and my sister's 86 Prelude Si felt like it was an extension of my extremities.

·
Registered
2019 Elite B.F,2020 Ridgeline
202 Posts
I’ve had several that were a POS but I’ll just name an early 70’s Renault, 70’s K5 Blazer and a 1980 MGB. The MG was a lot of fun but that Lucas electrical system was a nightmare.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
103 Posts
This is easy. My very first car which was a used '87 Chevy Cavalier.in 1989. Unfortunately, it was totalled in an accident (blown tire and rollover) which thankfully, I walked away from. I bought another Cavalier. Reason being that I still lived in my native NYC, was just 22 y/o, in my first full-time job and insurance was insane for me as a young and relatively new driver. After numerous engine issues/trips to the dealer... they finally got it right and it was reliable for a few years. One day about 4 years later it developed a serious engine problem. Since I had a better paying job by then... I let the Chevy go and bought my very first Honda which was a '92 Accord LX sedan. I was immediately floored by the quality/refinement and sweet smooth engine. That was the start of my Honda love affair and there were nothing but Honda/Acura cars from then to my current vehicles.

Reactions: Hubb

·
Registered
78 Posts
Years ago, I had a Chevy Camaro. In three years I spent as much on repairs to that car as the purchase price. I traded for a new comer on the planet, a Honda. Since then, I have only owned Hondas with the exception of one Acura TL. So lemons or POS has not been part of my vocabulary with the exception of a 95 Accord. I traded that car for a CRV simply because the car would not change gears correctly when going through a turn. Used to drive me crazy. You power through a corner, you don't coast through and then put the gas on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
1993 Eagle Summit (Mitsubishi product) - that car was cursed. Hail damage, I rear-ended a truck on ice - bent the hood and cracked the radiator, camshaft broke bending all the valves - dealer reassembled it incorrectly and it had to be completely redone, and it was rear-ended in two different accidents. Over it's life with me, each repair was never enough to total it, but added up to be $2K more than I paid for it. I traded it in on my first Honda CR-V. I filled out the repairs disclosure, the salesman laid it on his desk and made me a decent trade offer. It looked in good shape at the time. He didn't look at the disclosure until the deal was closed and realized he screwed up. View attachment 7104
My wife almost bought it's clone the Dodge Colt in 1993, we ended up with a Civic hatch. Loved that car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before we got married, my girlfriend purchased a Ford Granada . . . cause her father convinced her it would be a great 'family' car for a soon-to-be-married 19-year-old?!? At the time I was driving a non-family-friendly MGB, and despite the overwhelming criticism of LBC and Lucas unreliability, I spent little time working on my B compared to the hours of cursing and trying-to-repair her $H!~~¥ underpowered noisy oil-leaking gas-drinking overheating 6-cylinder engine with stability problem suspension and electrical gremlins and crappy brakes on that pitiful excuse of a car.
Convinced her to finally sell it, and we bought her a new '79 Honda CVCC, our first Honda car.
Just seeing this picture still brings me mental and emotional pain:
View attachment 7091

Though I wish I still had that MGB, I have other projects that give me love/hate moments of reflection . . . . . .
View attachment 7096

View attachment 7102

View attachment 7098

View attachment 7099

View attachment 7101

Still a work in progress, but time will tell if this becomes one of the worst MONEY-EATING vehicles I have ever owned :unsure:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting and entertaining thread. At age 72 I’m sure I have owned more car than most here. Most cars of the 60-80’s were fairly unreliable and short lived even maintained well. Few got much over 100K without major overhaul. Most any car today is far superior in reliability if not character. I’m still driving a 1967 MGB I’ve owned for over 30 years. I purchased a used 1980 Peugeot 505S which was love/hate. (Running/not running) mostly the latter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My wife and I bought a new 1997 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon which I was very hesitant about buying because it wasn’t my typical Honda purchase. After we left the dealer we went straight home and parked it in the garage, the next morning we were heading out for the day and as I backed out I noticed approximately a quart of oil on the floor. I called the dealer and they sent a flatbed to grab it, 2 weeks later we went and picked it up from the dealer and put it in the garage only to back it out again to find 3 quarts of oil on the garage floor and another visit by the flatbed. I knew better to not go away from Honda but I read a bunch of reviews that said they were GREAT cars. I guess reviews are like azzholes everyone has one

·
Registered
37 Posts
That MG needs a S2000 engine/ running gear swap
My engine and overdrive gearbox only have 2200 miles in them. A lot of different engines have been swapped into them but the original 1.8 liter with high compression pistons has adequate power. She will cruise all day at speeds higher than I’m willing to in an open 53 year old car. She won’t win any stoplight races but I’m over that. I’d love to have a S2000 as a toy but one toy car is my limit due to space and retired budget constraints. I had two GTIs p, a 15 & 16 that were little rockets. They encouraged hoonigan behavior.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting and entertaining thread. At age 72 I’m sure I have owned more car than most here. Most cars of the 60-80’s were fairly unreliable and short lived even maintained well. Few got much over 100K without major overhaul. Most any car today is far superior in reliability if not character. I’m still driving a 1967 MGB I’ve owned for over 30 years. I purchased a used 1980 Peugeot 505S which was love/hate. (Running/not running) mostly the latter. View attachment 10542
That’s a nice looking MGB. The big problem with was the electrical system, once you sort that out they are pretty reliable. My dad had a Peugeot 504 diesel wagon which was a great car and he had a 505 which was fairly reliable. The Peugeots were quirky, but thats what I liked about them.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts