Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can Name Names (Models) if you like or just name the Auto Manufacturer. I'm sure we have all owned some money-pit or POS's... I'll go first:

I've owned one Ford, one Chrysler and one GM vehicles in my life and by a fairly large margin they were collectively the worst vehicles I ever had the displeasure own owning, they were poorly designed, broke down a lot, were noisely, rattled, leaked oil, burned oil, etc. etc. (oh and 2 of the 3 were purchased new!).

And once rid of them, my life improved, food tasted better, I was more successful in business, the air felt cleaner, birds were signing, you know, all that stuff...

Reactions: Clentsch and neuron

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Touring
54 Posts
First post: Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer): Filler pipe rusted out (which should never happen), 302 engine gaskets sounded like a muffler after 6 years, 6-disc stereo and CD changer broke and had to find one at a junkyard for replacement, wasted my arms changing out a cooling pump because that failed after 5 years, rear-sensing backup failed, forgot what else happened... Sold it for $2000 and the person asked "how do I know this is not going to fall apart when I drive it home?" and I said "you don't, that's why it's sold as-is".

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
If I'm honest, my worst car was my first car, the 65 Mustang. It lived up to the ”found on road dead” joke, but it was 30 years old, and I loved it.

My 88 Chevy truck always had something wrong with it, and my 98 Passport’s motor blew up, so they were awful too.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
47 Posts
1990 Dodge Spirit...purchased new with the employee discount...they should have payed me to drive it...it spent more time in the shop than on the road...tech's could not diagnose a squeak in the engine of this brand new car...tore down the engine and found the crank was "out of spec"...replaced crank, still squeaked...tore down the engine a 2nd time...this time it was a camshaft "out of spec"...replaced camshaft, still squeaked...on a whim, they replaced the water pump and that fixed it...apparently it was also a bad product...all of this over a two (2) year period, plus the fact the dealer wrecked it in the dealership parking lot, was enough for me to drive straight to the Toyota dealer and purchase a Camry station wagon...drove that thing over 236k miles with ZERO problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1993 Eagle Summit (Mitsubishi product) - that car was cursed. Hail damage, I rear-ended a truck on ice - bent the hood and cracked the radiator, camshaft broke bending all the valves - dealer reassembled it incorrectly and it had to be completely redone, and it was rear-ended in two different accidents. Over it's life with me, each repair was never enough to total it, but added up to be $2K more than I paid for it. I traded it in on my first Honda CR-V. I filled out the repairs disclosure, the salesman laid it on his desk and made me a decent trade offer. It looked in good shape at the time. He didn't look at the disclosure until the deal was closed and realized he screwed up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Easily my first car in about 1970. I wanted a European car and all I could afford was a Renault Gordini. Piece of junk but it was mine. Lots of stories of high school antics with that car.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
474 Posts
Before we got married, my girlfriend purchased a Ford Granada . . . cause her father convinced her it would be a great 'family' car for a soon-to-be-married 19-year-old?!? At the time I was driving a non-family-friendly MGB, and despite the overwhelming criticism of LBC and Lucas unreliability, I spent little time working on my B compared to the hours of cursing and trying-to-repair her $H!~~¥ underpowered noisy oil-leaking gas-drinking overheating 6-cylinder engine with stability problem suspension and electrical gremlins and crappy brakes on that pitiful excuse of a car.
Convinced her to finally sell it, and we bought her a new '79 Honda CVCC, our first Honda car.
Just seeing this picture still brings me mental and emotional pain:

Though I wish I still had that MGB, I have other projects that give me love/hate moments of reflection . . . . . .

Still a work in progress, but time will tell if this becomes one of the worst MONEY-EATING vehicles I have ever owned :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,708 Posts
I had a brand new 1993, Red Geo Storm for about 30 days until I got it returned under a lemon law.
Never made a car payment and it spent more time in the shop than it did driving on the roads.

#lessonlearned

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
94 Posts
My first car was a VW Beetle and I had a lot of them over the years and I drove them since high school. I had a new beetle, GTI, Jetta and The Tiguan and all were junk. I loved my VW’s and I was to loyal and stupid and I learned the hard way. I kept thinking I’m going to get a good one. The two BMW 328’s I had were mediocre, money pits but more dependable than the VW.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
My first car was a VW Beetle and I had a lot of them over the years and I drove them since high school. I had a new beetle, GTI, Jetta and The Tiguan and all were junk. I loved my VW’s and I was to loyal and stupid and I learned the hard way. I kept thinking I’m going to get a good one. The two BMW 328’s I had were mediocre, money pits but more dependable than the VW.
So my never having a VW beetle was not a lose? I still want a really good looking one or bus someday when I have more garage parking. My SIL has the Tiguan (aka Tijuana) and yes, it’s junk!
I drive it often as it’s easier than moving my nephews car seats to mine and it has zero motor power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My worse car was a 2004 BMW 320. Since day one, it was a POS. My second one was a Volvo 240. Then a couple of Fords. I stopped buying these cars, got into Honda’s and Toyota’s, no more problems since.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
474 Posts
Is that the car from Pulp Fiction? What happened in the back seat? 🔫:unsure:
🤣

Unlike our Passport, this is no family car . . . no place for Child Seat tethers or anchors. ;)

But it would hide that Pulp Fiction 'accident' better than the white interior of that Malibu.

Reactions: neuron

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can Name Names (Models) if you like or just name the Auto Manufacturer. I'm sure we have all owned some money-pit or POS's... I'll go first:

I've owned one Ford, one Chrysler and one GM vehicles in my life and by a fairly large margin they were collectively the worst vehicles I ever had the displeasure own owning, they were poorly designed, broke down a lot, were noisely, rattled, leaked oil, burned oil, etc. etc. (oh and 2 of the 3 were purchased new!).

And once rid of them, my life improved, food tasted better, I was more successful in business, the air felt cleaner, birds were signing, you know, all that stuff...
My dad was a tailor and owned a mens clothing store., One of his customers owned the neigborhood Chevy dealership and gave him a really "good deal" on a electric blue, 1971 Vega. I didn't want the car, I was perfectly happy with my European spec 1968 Opel Kadette Rallye with Hella rally lights 1.2 liter DOHC engine and dual Strombergs that his other customer, the owner of the local Buick dealership sold me. It looked like a Nova had really cool wheels and fat black rally stripes. My mother hated it and was scared of it. She wanted me to have a more "substantial" , less foreign car, in this case the accursed Vega. Ugh. Shifting gears was like churning butter, the brakes were lousy plus during the first year it would stop running periodically when the wiring harness would periodically get fried by the exhaust and short against the chassis. After three warranty replacements I simply duct taped the loom on the firewall ,away from the exhaust header ( problem solved) and the factory mounting points The hatch and drip rails rusted out in less than 2 years, after three years and 25K miles it leaked and burned oil at a prodigious rate, What a POS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Though I wish I still had that MGB, I have other projects that give me love/hate moments of reflection . . . . . .
View attachment 7096

View attachment 7099

Still a work in progress, but time will tell if this becomes one of the worst MONEY-EATING vehicles I have ever owned :unsure:

View attachment 7099

View attachment 7101

Oooh, AMX this does bring back memories. My Dad's car was light blue with built 390, I remember taking a 69 Hemi Charger by a full second...

Thanks for the memories. I would really like to see pics when she is back on the road!

·
Registered
94 Posts
So my never having a VW beetle was not a lose? I still want a really good looking one or bus someday when I have more garage parking. My SIL has the Tiguan (aka Tijuana) and yes, it’s junk!
I drive it often as it’s easier than moving my nephews car seats to mine and it has zero motor power.
I‘ve been looking around for an old beetle. I used to have a 74 super beetle sun bug that I wish I kept. Avoid new Volkswagens at any cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
I‘ve been looking around for an old beetle. I used to have a 74 super beetle sun bug that I wish I kept. Avoid new Volkswagens at any cost.
oh yeah, I’d never buy a new one!
we have so many old classics for sale in SoCal., I just have nowhere to park it.

and don’t most of us wish we kept at least 1 of our old cars! I wish I had my little Honda CRX still all the time!

·
Registered
94 Posts
oh yeah, I’d never buy a new one!
we have so many old classics for sale in SoCal., I just have nowhere to park it.

and don’t most of us wish we kept at least 1 of our old cars! I wish I had my little Honda CRX still all the time!
Crx’s were great cars to. I had a 81 Prelude that was a fun car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts