Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
722 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is hearing a horrible "squeaking noise" coming from the area where the hitch attaches to the frame. I'm towing a 910# trailer, with a 900# motorcycle. Add the people and luggage, maybe coming in around 2500# (liberal estimate). The engine performs pretty well, but this sound I'm hearing almost makes me feel like the hitch is going to rip from the vehicle and is making me nervous to go on a long, long haul.
Have you checked the bolts that attach the hitch to the frame rails? There are just six bolts (three on each side) that are easily accessible and should be torqued to 63ft-lb or 85Nm.

·
461 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else is hearing a horrible "squeaking noise" coming from the area where the hitch attaches to the frame. I'm towing a 910# trailer, with a 900# motorcycle. Add the people and luggage, maybe coming in around 2500# (liberal estimate). The engine performs pretty well, but this sound I'm hearing almost makes me feel like the hitch is going to rip from the vehicle and is making me nervous to go on a long, long haul.
Great idea to check the bolts of the hitch as I have towed about 770# twice without a problem and no noises at all/I’m towing much more soon and will be reporting back, but the loud hitch you have makes me think somethings up with the hitch - good luck out there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought 4000lb travel trailer and a Passport to pull it. Highway speeds out the automatic transmission. POOR POOR performance. Mileage was 4 miles to gallon. Gear shifting was comical. Took state roads back in S instead of D . manually shifting the last 200 miles worked nicer 11 mph. The tongue weight was within manual specs but still have my low beams as high beams. And left rear wheel camber is noticeably off . Need now to look into air shocks after maket, dealer says they have nothing to help Other than the rear tail gate not going all the way up. And when in reverse with the trailer hooked up the cars yells at me that I am to close to something.
Found out no one has anything available for air shocks. Dealer or after market. Come on Honda... help me out here.

·
461 Posts
Hey folks, just returned from a little mini adventure and was towing about 4100 pounds on highway and fire roads and the PP did pretty good, and didn’t whine or make noises the only thing I wasn’t happy with was the mileage, about 12 is what I got and was shooting for 16 ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have towed my boat with the Passport and was satisfied with it, it seemed a bit better than my 2017 Pilot I previously had.. My fully loaded towing weight was about 4,500 lbs, tongue weight 360lbs, the trailer has surge brakes. I towed in the sport mode.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did you ever get the noise figured out? If not, and you haven't greased the ball on the hitch, I highly suggest it. It seems like noises are amplified by the hitch and frame of the passport.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey folks, just returned from a little mini adventure and was towing about 4100 pounds on highway and fire roads and the PP did pretty good, and didn’t whine or make noises the only thing I wasn’t happy with was the mileage, about 12 is what I got and was shooting for 16 ?
Was that an RV that you were towing? Also, what speeds?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just returned from a 1,000+ mile trip pulling a snowmobile trailer, estimated at just under 2,000 lbs loaded. Passport did OK on the highway at 75 MPH, it did great in the snow and very steep inclines, no slip what so ever. Was impressed with the performance in the snow, in both normal drive mode as well as Snow mode, either seemed to work fine. Gas mileage on the other hand is not so great. On the way up to New Brunswick from New Hampshire average MPG was 8.5, over all after returning home (total of 1,055 miles) average MPG was an even 10. Tried with and without ECO on, doggy on the highway with it on. Drove most of the time with it off. We have the JSport Pre-Run package on with the small lift kit and bigger tires so that did not help with the gas mileage either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just returned from a 1,000+ mile trip pulling a snowmobile trailer, estimated at just under 2,000 lbs loaded. Passport did OK on the highway at 75 MPH, it did great in the snow and very steep inclines, no slip what so ever. Was impressed with the performance in the snow, in both normal drive mode as well as Snow mode, either seemed to work fine. Gas mileage on the other hand is not so great. On the way up to New Brunswick from New Hampshire average MPG was 8.5, over all after returning home (total of 1,055 miles) average MPG was an even 10. Tried with and without ECO on, doggy on the highway with it on. Drove most of the time with it off. We have the JSport Pre-Run package on with the small lift kit and bigger tires so that did not help with the gas mileage either. View attachment 4836 View attachment 4837
Nice looking passport! That gas milage though ?

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
Driving at 75 (over snowy roads) while pulling a trailer are not optimal for efficiency (or safety).
But it does look good!

·
Registered
47 Posts
On a trailer like that at any speed over 55 it's the frontal area rather than the weight that really determines mpg. A low trailer with little frontage or much more streamlined would get much better mileage even if it weighed 4000 lbs. When towing a blunt nosed trailer of any size (regardless of weight) if you will not exceed 55 mph you will be surprised how much the mpg will go up. Wind resistance goes up exponentially with speed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just returned from a 1,000+ mile trip pulling a snowmobile trailer, estimated at just under 2,000 lbs loaded. Passport did OK on the highway at 75 MPH, it did great in the snow and very steep inclines, no slip what so ever. Was impressed with the performance in the snow, in both normal drive mode as well as Snow mode, either seemed to work fine. Gas mileage on the other hand is not so great. On the way up to New Brunswick from New Hampshire average MPG was 8.5, over all after returning home (total of 1,055 miles) average MPG was an even 10. Tried with and without ECO on, doggy on the highway with it on. Drove most of the time with it off. We have the JSport Pre-Run package on with the small lift kit and bigger tires so that did not help with the gas mileage either. View attachment 4836 View attachment 4837
How much taller are those tires vs stock? Taller tires will cause the speedometer (and odometer) to register lower spped and mileage. Did you factor in for tire size? Mileage seems pretty low for the load you were pulling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 4000 lb dry weight most wouLd agree your rig too heavy for a 5000 lb capacity tow rating. Easy to hsve 700-800 lbs of gear in RV. You need to keep AT MINIIMUM 20% cushion between loaded RV weight and tow capacity. You're too close to limit. Especially true with unibody vehicles. Google how much can I tow and listen to experts. No wonder your tow experience not ideal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have towed my boat with the Passport and was satisfied with it, it seemed a bit better than my 2017 Pilot I previously had.. My fully loaded towing weight was about 4,500 lbs, tongue weight 360lbs, the trailer has surge brakes. I towed in the sport mode. View attachment 4127
How is it working out pulling it out of the water? I am looking at a 4700 lb boat... Planning on towing it with the Passport. One of the old timers I am in the Coast Guard Auxiliary with told me I will have a hard time pulling it out of the water with awd instead of locking 4x4.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have not had any problems pulling the boat up the launch ramp.
you say your boat is 4700#s, is that your total towed weight (trailer+ boat + fuel and equip’t)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not had any problems pulling the boat up the launch ramp.
you say your boat is 4700#s, is that your total towed weight (trailer+ boat + fuel and equip’t)
Correct its a Bayliner VR6, dry weight 3700 with trailer and fuel should be about 4700 according to dealer

21 - 40 of 55 Posts