Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
434 Posts
My 98 Passport had the spare tire mounted to the tailgate, and I remember wishing it was mounted underneath, but having it on the back did prove useful when a Ford Expedition rear-ended me one night.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just realized that my new 18" wheels use Spline lugs for mounting. Does anyone know if those will work with the stock 20" wheel? I doubt they will. That means they won't work with my donut spare tire if I were to need it! I'm carrying an even more useless spare now!. I gave the black wheel lugs (and a locking one) away when I sold my factory tires and wheels. Now I need to get a new set ASAP in case I need them!

And I was thinking the donut was to work with the original tires and my replacements are only about an inch bigger (½" more lift) so even with the Jsport lift kit is should work for short distances. Useless off road I know but at least if I call AAA to put the spare on in town it should work. When I get the lugnuts for it - or am I missing something?

Anyone know where I can get 5 cheap lug nuts that will work with the 2019 Passport spare donut tire?

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
245 Posts
I just realized that my new 18" wheels use Spline lugs for mounting. Does anyone know if those will work with the stock 20" wheel? I doubt they will. That means they won't work with my donut spare tire if I were to need it! I'm carrying an even more useless spare now!. I gave the black wheel lugs (and a locking one) away when I sold my factory tires and wheels. Now I need to get a new set ASAP in case I need them!

And I was thinking the donut was to work with the original tires and my replacements are only about an inch bigger (½" more lift) so even with the Jsport lift kit is should work for short distances. Useless off road I know but at least if I call AAA to put the spare on in town it should work. When I get the lugnuts for it - or am I missing something?

Anyone know where I can get 5 cheap lug nuts that will work with the 2019 Passport spare donut tire?
You may be greatly over-thinking this . . .

Don't know what kind of aftermarket wheels you have, but most of them share the same seat pattern as most OEM wheels . . . 60-degree tapered (aka acorn) seat:

The depth and diameter of the lugnut well determines length and diameter of the lugnut required for attaching wheel to hub (of course, lugnut and stud threads must be identical)

However, Honda Passport OEM aluminum wheels use a ball style seat lugnut, where the contact area between wheel and lugnut are more rounded than common taper design.

You stated you have spline drive lugnuts . . . which are typically manufactured with common 60-degree seat, also.
The ONLY difference is the method of attachment, requiring use of an adapter to engage outer surface:

Passport OEM spare tire uses common steel wheel, which has a standard common seat. The only (very unlikely, but possible) issue may be that since steel wheel flange is thinner than most aftermarket non-steel wheels, the wheel stud will have slightly more threaded length exposed, so it is important that your spline-drive lugnuts have adequate depth to fully contact and secure spare wheel to hub.

For vast majority of installations, if your spline-drive lugnuts are 60-degree, everything interconnects . . . . you're worry-free to run over some screws/nails 😲

Reactions: Cilles

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, thanks for the detailed info! I will try it to be sure but I believe you are correct, they went with Spline types because A) that is what they know (4WD shop) and B) what is used on off-road wheels. It also may have required more depth than the stock lug nuts. Thanks again, excellent info!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts