Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a bunch of issues associated with this topic and I wanted to discuss them and see what others are doing and what your thoughts are?

The Honda Passport comes with a Compact Spare Tire. My recollection of this mini-me spares, is that they are good for something like 50-100 miles and a maximum speed of 55mph.

So what happens if you are on a long road trip, 150 miles from the nearest tire repair, heading home on a Sunday night?

My camping trips are always 700-900 miles in length, so this is of great concern to me.

I think someone measured the depth of the current Compact Spare area and found that it is not deep enough to hold a full size tire.

Second the Compact Space area is not big enough to even hold a full size spare. My 1985 Prelude came with a mini spare, but Honda was forward thinking enough to make that area big enough to hold a full size tire, which I went out and bought and kept in there and threw the mini spare in the garbage!

So what are some of our options?
1) Buy a used full size take off from someone, buy a bag to hold it and simply carry it in the cargo area, on long trips? This is the simplest and the option I will probably go with.
2) Buy a Top Rack and store a full size spare there? This is expensive and us older people (and short girls) are not gonna want to put a 50lb tire up and down, especially when the Passport top is high already...
3) Buy or make some sort of spare tire mount, that will fit into the Trailer Hitch? Also expensive, especially if you do not already have a a Trailer Hitch. And it would stick out a foot or two from the rear end.

Any other options or thoughts?????

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have same concerns, esp since I have upgraded wheels to 18" (downgrade?) and tires that are a bit bigger and a bit more off-road worthy (Nitto TerraGrappler G2). Running off-road with those and a donut spare is just a bad idea. I have a roof rack and thats the obvious place. Front Page | Jsport USA has a new front bumper and might eventually have a new rear one that can hold a spare tire holder. But first I have to get a suitable wheel and tire! Then I can take the donut out and use that space for additional storage. ;-)

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
173 Posts
So what are some of our options?
1) Buy a used full size take off from someone, buy a bag to hold it and simply carry it in the cargo area, on long trips? This is the simplest and the option I will probably go with.
2) Buy a Top Rack and store a full size spare there? This is expensive and us older people (and short girls) are not gonna want to put a 50lb tire up and down, especially when the Passport top is high already...
3) Buy or make some sort of spare tire mount, that will fit into the Trailer Hitch? Also expensive, especially if you do not already have a a Trailer Hitch. And it would stick out a foot or two from the rear end.

Any other options or thoughts?????
4) Tire sealant + inflator is also an option, and Honda already uses this procedure on no-spare-tire-equipped vehicles like 2017-2020 Accord Hybrid. Not advocating these systems, but it is another temporary option, and retains full-size tire. Many tire shops also charge extra (due to messy cleanup) when this goo is used.

For me, likely go with something similar to your option 1, using an 18-in wheel/tire.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
243 Posts
Years ago, my brother-in-law drove a piece of junk Chevy Cavalier around that had four bald tires. One of the tires went flat and couldn't be repaired, so he drove around with the donut tire until it was bald too. I don't recommend that anyone do that, but I think the donut will get you to a tire shop even if it's a couple of hundred miles away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As for the donut tires you are supposed to be able to drive them 500 miles - total. So if you have multiple flats they add up. And never above 50 or 55 mph which is also a problem (though I've seen people doing more I sure wouldn't!).

·
Registered
62 Posts
4) Tire sealant + inflator is also an option, and Honda already uses this procedure on no-spare-tire-equipped vehicles like 2017-2020 Accord Hybrid. Not advocating these systems, but it is another temporary option, and retains full-size tire. Many tire shops also charge extra (due to messy cleanup) when this goo is used.

For me, likely go with something similar to your option 1, using an 18-in wheel/tire.
And if it is a serious blow out off-road this won't help at all unfortunately.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where have people bought their wheels and tires? I got my entire kit at JSPort and made it easy except for ridiculous problems with shipping that were eventually worked out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you drive 150 miles versus 100 miles on the donut spare, it will still get you to your destination.

Unless you have no other options, it is not advisable to use a tire sealant because it may ruin the TPMS sensor and makes a mess for your tire installer as @P-A-N-D-A noted.

Another option is a decent tire inflator, tire plug kit and pliers (or multi-tool) if the puncture is in the tread area. Plugging a tire is an easy process and was part of my son's drivers education... skills that he has put to good use. Damage to the tire's sidewall is not repairable. Legally, tire shops are not allowed to plug a tire within 1" of the tire's shoulder. If it is an emergency, do as you must. You can opt to repair it properly with an internal patch & plug once you can get to a tire shop.

During a cross country road trip (6,000+ miles) in a different vehicle, I had a nail puncture one of my tire near the start. The car was equipped from the factory with tire sealand, inflator, roadside assistance and no spare. I could have waited for roadside in the middle of Iowa (which could have taken a couple of hours), but opted to plug the tire myself. The tire survived the remainder of the round trip. My wife couldn't resist capturing the moment, somewhere in Iowa...

Puncture Repair - Cropped.jpg

We've done multiple cross country trips and that was the only incident with a punctured tire. Minimize risk to your tires, if possible. Stay off the shoulders, look far ahead for road debris and swerving vehicles. Don't let road gators bite! Today, come across road debris in the left lane of the interstate that had shredded the tires of a couple cars already pulled off to the shoulder as I passed.

Also if you go off-road and will need to use your jack, helps to have a 3/4"x12"x12" board to act as a stable platform.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The distance limitation on the spare is because the spare and opposite tire have a different diameter which will cause the transmission or differential to heat up as the tires are turning at different speeds. They want you to take a break every 50+ miles to let everything cool down and not cause mechanical damage.

The spare should have two valve stems. One for use while it is in use on the car, the other on the opposite side so that I can check the pressure and fill it while it is stored and not need to remove it. They could also put a TPMS unit in the spare so the car knows what the pressure is. How many people check the pressure in the spare.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
801 Posts
They could also put a TPMS unit in the spare so the car knows what the pressure is. How many people check the pressure in the spare.
That is a fantastic idea for the TPMS in the spare, and have the low pressure alert on the dash like the other tires. How many times have people needed the spare only to find it flat? Probably hundreds of thousands, at least.

Honda was kind enough to give us a tiny funnel for fueling from a gas can. That’s the extent of their generosity. A 10 cent funnel versus probably $30 extra bucks, in volume, to include an extra sensor. Nah, won’t happen. I’d just like the features that are included in my model to actually work. IMO, Honda is slipping all around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve used a hitch tire carrier that can be folded down to get to the rear hatch. I also used a double hitch so I can carry the tire on top and utilize the bottom to tow a trailer. Although it is a little expensive but I find it works for me. The tire hitch cost around $200.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve used a hitch tire carrier that can be folded down to get to the rear hatch. I also used a double hitch so I can carry the tire on top and utilize the bottom to tow a trailer. Although it is a little expensive but I find it works for me. The tire hitch cost around $200.
That's funny as I was laying in bed this morning with the same thoughts, a spare tire mount that mounts into the Trailer hitch and folds down for access to the read cargo area, Any links to such a critter?

·
Registered
2019 AWD Passport, EX-L, Silver with black interior
8 Posts
There are also swing-away carriers that mount on the side and swing around to the back. That is an option if you are towing a trailer and need the hitch for that.
Just be real careful not to hit the tailgate lift button when either swing-away or hitch carriers are blocking that!

I have had many Honda's and been told many times in many forums that using a smaller tire (or even letting one go underinflated). Front or all wheel drive, still causes wear. The trans cooler might help but the solution is a full size spare.
Even our old 2008 Pilot takes a full size spare....not flat in place but it does barely fit at an angle.

All of our CRV's (four to date) have had full size spares, so this is new to me....but will probably get a hitch carrier that sits up high and can swing down to open the gate.
Also have a really good 12 VDC compressor that we carry in our RV because sometimes you need to add air just to get a jack under the lifting pad.

M96Cobra, what brand did you buy and from what outlet?
The double hitch optin is a thought too as we sometimes do pull a trailer.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, for one, do check the spare tire pressure in the Passport every 6 months. My Mercedes has no spare, and as already suggested, I carry a plug kit. I recommend the Safety Seal kit. It comes with good, sturdy tools and quality plugs. When we go on the road I grab the Safety Seal kit and put it and a small tire inflator in the Passport. Of course, this won’t help with a blowout or sidewall puncture, but that’s what roadside assistance or the donut spare are for.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
I measured the back cargo space and yes, a full size spare will not fit.

A few months ago, I did some asking in our area and no one had any recommendations to have someone modify the cargo tire space to fit a full size spare. That would be the ideal. When I get back, I’ll do some further investigation.

When I’m gone for my long work trips of 6+ weeks, there is no room for a tire!
And with Discount Tire/America’s tire closed on Sunday’s...😢
So my plan, is to call a tow truck!

Plus I’ve always had the upgraded Michelin tires and never had an issue except in my civic when I turfed a curb during a dust storm so badly that it blew out, and I called the boyfriend.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
2019 AWD Passport, EX-L, Silver with black interior
8 Posts
I have always ran Michelins myself and for thise unaware, Michelin has it's own emergency service for as long asa the tires have tread. They will cover tire changes and repairs as needed, tow if necessary.
The emergency number is 1-888-553-4327.
FYI, I have never had to use it as never had a problem on a Sunday and as I also buy from Discoun t tire, that's always an option.
I carry a patch kit and compressor just in case and have used those to get me to the nearest Discount tire/Tires America store.
Hope this helps.....

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
I did not know that about Michelin - thank you!
Saving the number in my phone. Is it 24/7 as well?

And would keeping a patch kit be a bad idea if your vehicle is exposed to extreme heat or cold?

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
173 Posts
I have always ran Michelins myself and for thise unaware, Michelin has it's own emergency service for as long asa the tires have tread. They will cover tire changes and repairs as needed, tow if necessary.
Michelin Roadside Service is limited to 3 years from date of purchase, according to Michelin Owners Manual. :geek:
Michelin Warranty Website

Edit Note : "This service does not cover the repair or replacement of your tire. Service applies only to motorized passenger and light truck vehicles and specifically excludes trailers, recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles and any vehicle used for farm, ranch, agriculture, racing, or off-road service."

Still a nice perk if you plan on purchasing Michelin replacement tires :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Michelin Roadside Service is limited to 3 years from date of purchase, according to Michelin Owners Manual. :geek:
good to know too. I will check the manual out later, I’m just on my iPad for a while.
i did just purchase my tires in October, so have another 2 1/2 years!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts