Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
The ride is nice and quiet. Seating is comfortable. Visibility is good.

I don't like the ACC at all. To abrupt with corrections. I thing the Auto Hi-Beam is a total joke and unusable. I hate the auto Start Stop. Generally, an idling car uses somewhere between 1/5 to 1/7 gallon of gas per hour. This is absolutely zero value to me when you compare the wear on the starter system. When we live, it would take a month to sit at idle for 10 minutes. I plan on buying the device that removes the variable cylinder management. Infotainment is just OK. I lose contact with my iphone 11 periodically.

All in all, this is a good vehicle that could have been great with some electronic refinement. Hopefully it will come with time. As I sit today, I would not re-buy this vehicle due to the lack of electronic refinement. I would probably buy a Mazda CX-9 even though it has a 3rd row seat and the paint is super thin.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I accept what you're saying but it would seem to me that it would be easier to see if light was built into the mirror that you're looking at instead of it being in a different location away from the mirror. :unsure:
I’m with you on this. I have 16k+ miles on the car and still find myself having to look for the light on the drivers side. The passenger side light is within my peripheral vision when I look to the right.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I’m with you on this. I have 16k+ miles on the car and still find myself having to look for the light on the drivers side. The passenger side light is within my peripheral vision when I look to the right.
I've even thought that it might be useful to pop the small covers off of those LEDs and switch them out for brighter ones that would really catch your eye when you're looking at the side mirrors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I HATE that the Blind spot detection is not standard. (I have a Sport)
I hate the lower gas mileage than my 17 Ridgeline.
I don't HATE...but the ACC is definitely not a smooth as a 19 Jetta that I recently drove. Man, that was SMOOTH...I didn't even realize I was slowing down until I looked down.
I'm pretty worried about the 9-speed tranny. I got the cooler and now I'm going to be thinking about that a lot.
I HATE the location of the oil filter.
I HATE the rather often maintenance schedule of the rear diff fluid. (IMHO)

·
Registered
933 Posts
That's definitely a matter of personal preference. I had a Telluride and they were on the mirror. I prefer it where it is on the Passport, actually.
I like where the blind spot marker light is located. Having it inside the cabin eliminates me having to turn my head to see it, whereas outside the vehicle, it requires me to turn my head away from the road ahead.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I like where the blind spot marker light is located. Having it inside the cabin eliminates me having to turn my head to see it, whereas outside the vehicle, it requires me to turn my head away from the road ahead.
But don't you turn your head to look at the outside mirror anyway?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hate the fact that there's no "auto hold" brake option. Loved it on all my previous cars. The lane departure, auto brake, intelligent cruise control, etc., whatever Honda calls these features are horrible, but I don't give two F's about those anyway. No unlock on rear doors is dumb... sometimes i want to throw my backpack in the back and then open my door...

·
Registered
2021 Passport Touring AWD
11 Posts
Hate: No hand actuated emergency brake. This is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't have one. I was really surprised to see that the foot actuated emergency brake was still a thing.

HATE: It's 2021...where the hell is wireless Android Auto? My 3yr old Pioneer head unit had it in my previous vehicle. Honestly, this would just be a dislike, but having wireless phone charging as an option just adds insult to injury. It seems like a no-brainer to have both. I also hate that the required hardware might actually be in place and all it needs is the software to make it work.

Dislike: The premium sound system. It's not that great. I would have preferred a 7 ch or 13 ch equalizer as well to clean the sound up.

Dislike: The placement of the cup holders right next to the push button shifter. That seems like a debacle waiting to happen.

Dislike: The lack of an additional cup holder in the front doors. It's nice to have a spare drink within reach on long rides.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hate : auto lift hatchback (wished the glass could open separately)
Engine shut off
most of the techy stuff (simpler the better)
Need more or better paint options
20” wheels and Honda’s terrible wheel designs for decades

Like : cargo rooms (not as good as my Element but good)
Power
Comfort
Snow driving (as long as you don’t put it in SNOW mode)
not as many on the road (i.e. white Four Runner black wheels)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't hate anything PP overall pretty good.

Dislikes:
Auto stop/start, I always forget until the first stop sign
push button shifter, why reinvent the wheel? If so, put it on the dash and free up space!
Auto high beams that never work
False brake alarms
Very slow to pull off since it starts in second gear, if it shifts into 3rd and you give it gas there is a very weak spot there where it bogs down. Shouldn't be an issue since there are 9 ratios for the designers to work with
Slow, slow downshifts unless you plan ahead and use the paddles
20 inch wheels not necessary
Rear doors could open more
The assembly of the body panels is still sub par. HMA apparently can't get its act together. ( My Ridgeline was much worse FWIW).

Loves
Value, EX-L comes loaded, value, value, value
The interior space, I'm a big dude and love all the extra room inside even with a sunroof
great long trip car
I actually like the layout of the infotainment system
The led headlights and fogs would be perfect if the auto high beams worked
utility

With all that said, I recently purchased 2 RAV4's one of which is a hybrid. The hybrid logic makes for an even better driving experience, instant power, an E-CVT is drives much better than a conventional CVT and MPG's almost double that of my Passport renders the Passport almost obsolete. I was always caught up on Honda V6's or a Honda without a CVT or a turbo. When I tried to purchase a CRV EX-L in June and the dealer didn't move on price due to Covid, that was the best thing that ever happened and first brand switch in over 20 years. I love my Passport but it's the end of an era. My thinking is that I'll ride out my driving days with Toyota/Lexus as I tend to be a very loyal buyer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2+ years with my wife's 2019 EX-L AWD. Here's my list:

Dislike:
  • Auto Engine Idle at stops. More mild than my 2020 CR-V was, but wish it could be set to disabled by default
  • Can't adjust the tailgate height.
  • That I had to take it to the dealer TWICE now to get the crackling sound fixed with their wiring harness TSB. Better be fixed for good now! Otherwise, back to Hate.
  • 20" gray wheels on our black EX-L. Should be FREE option to get the black version of the same style that is standard on the lower Sport trim. 18" would have been preferred too.
  • Ratcheting driver arm rest. Just give me a full flip up or down like the passenger side.
  • Audio does not turn off when I turn off the car. Only once I also open a door after turning off the ignition.

Hate:
  • Brake mitigation system. WAY too sensitive. Goes off when tree shadows on road and not a car in sight. Almost had to change my pants a couple months ago.
  • Left steering wheel control. When in fuel economy display, left/right can skip songs, change presets. But up/down does NOTHING! Why not cycle through the audio inputs (like on my CR-V)? Lazy Honda software engineer! Get consistency across the vehicles!

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 Sport Steel Metallic
77 Posts
Really no hates but the adaptive cruise control is nice when coming up on slower traffic and not having to adjust your speed manually, but the slowness of the throttle response when lane changing to go around those slower vehicles is a pain.
Other than that everything else seems to work great.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Sport
13 Posts
2019 Sport owner with 20K miles
Hate:
  • Idle off/on that I immediately disable
  • Auto-braking/collision warning
  • Push button shifter
Dislike:
  • Front armrests
  • Keyless not opening rear doors
  • 20" wheels designed to be proud of the tires (swapped to '21 Ridgeline 18" wheels)
  • Front wheel wells not allowing larger tires without modifications
  • Hitting the seat height adjustment lever nearly every time I get in the driver's seat
  • Loud knock in the transmission upon slowing from 45 MPH to around 30 MPH and then accelerating
  • Slight minivan-ish feel
  • Lack of a real cupholder in the front doors, my preferred spot for a bottle or cup
  • Digital dash could be better with more display options
Like:
  • NA V6
  • Non-CVT transmission (though it could be improved, probably 7 speeds instead of 9 and better shifting)
  • Interior space
  • Visibility (no blind spot monitoring on mine but I don't feel it needs it)
  • Ride is well composed and the AWD works well
  • Overall interior design (I have not really liked Hondas interiors in the recent past)
  • Overall value of the vehicle, a lot of capability for the money
Overall I feel good about my purchase. I wish the new Pathfinder had been available at the time. I'm not sure if I would have still made the same decision or not, they each have their own advantages. I don't need the extra length or third row the Pathfinder offers but I like the return to body on frame construction and the higher tow rating.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts