Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a Garmin fan, I own two for my "old" vehicles and my 2016 Pilot has the NAV option also by Garmin. I have three issues:
1) The map itself is not as good as my old Garmin's and the Pilot. Its 3D perspective just isn't as nice as what I'm used to.
2) Putting in a destination is clumsy. The "old" Garmin's started with zip or state/city. The new Garmin wants an address; it assumes that you are near to where you want to go. Once it can't find the address, it then asks you for city/state information.
3) The default route programmed by the NAV isn't the shortest time route, at least not for the one road trip I took a week or so ago.

One positive attribute I found was that the NAV did not bug me too many times when I took a different route. The Pilot NAV could not figure out I didn't like the chosen route and I would have to tell it to detour. The new NAV suggested turning around about two times then did an auto recalculation and stopped being a pain.

Anyone else have issues with the NAV? I may just let my Iphone do the work and give up on it.
Greg, I've owned Garmins for many years so I have been a big fan. I don't have Nav in my Passport but I do have Nov in my 2018 CRV. Honda is behind Garmin units is updated maps. There have be two roundabuts that have been on my Garmin units for at least two
I'm a Garmin fan, I own two for my "old" vehicles and my 2016 Pilot has the NAV option also by Garmin. I have three issues:
1) The map itself is not as good as my old Garmin's and the Pilot. Its 3D perspective just isn't as nice as what I'm used to.
2) Putting in a destination is clumsy. The "old" Garmin's started with zip or state/city. The new Garmin wants an address; it assumes that you are near to where you want to go. Once it can't find the address, it then asks you for city/state information.
3) The default route programmed by the NAV isn't the shortest time route, at least not for the one road trip I took a week or so ago.

One positive attribute I found was that the NAV did not bug me too many times when I took a different route. The Pilot NAV could not figure out I didn't like the chosen route and I would have to tell it to detour. The new NAV suggested turning around about two times then did an auto recalculation and stopped being a pain.

Anyone else have issues with the NAV? I may just let my Iphone do the work and give up on it.
Greg, have used Garmin GPS units for about 15 years and they are not as good as they were several years ago. It's been a few years now but Garmin switched the map company it was using and that started the problems. There are many errors in the current maps. I just installed the latest updates a few days ago and now the unit sometime shows it on a different road than it is supposed to be. I haven't compiled enough data to contact Garmin yet, but I will. Secondly the Honda Garmin updates are way behing the updates for the Garmin units. I don't have Nav in the Passport but I do in my CR-V Touring. There are two roundabouts in my area that have been on my Garmin units for two years or more. The Garmin software quit the annoying "Recalculating" a while back, not so with Honda They finally showed up in the latest update about a month ago. I am giving up on the Garmin GPS in the Passport and I using my Smartphone with Google Maps. Big improvement. It also bugs me that Garmin has lifetime updates which update about four times a year. Honda gives you free updates for five years and then wants $99/year thereafter. Talk about a profit center. Trouble is they are still supposed to be the best units on the market.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Greg, I've owned Garmins for many years so I have been a big fan. I don't have Nav in my Passport but I do have Nov in my 2018 CRV. Honda is behind Garmin units is updated maps. There have be two roundabuts that have been on my Garmin units for at least two

Greg, have used Garmin GPS units for about 15 years and they are not as good as they were several years ago. It's been a few years now but Garmin switched the map company it was using and that started the problems. There are many errors in the current maps. I just installed the latest updates a few days ago and now the unit sometime shows it on a different road than it is supposed to be. I haven't compiled enough data to contact Garmin yet, but I will. Secondly the Honda Garmin updates are way behing the updates for the Garmin units. I don't have Nav in the Passport but I do in my CR-V Touring. There are two roundabouts in my area that have been on my Garmin units for two years or more. The Garmin software quit the annoying "Recalculating" a while back, not so with Honda They finally showed up in the latest update about a month ago. I am giving up on the Garmin GPS in the Passport and I using my Smartphone with Google Maps. Big improvement. It also bugs me that Garmin has lifetime updates which update about four times a year. Honda gives you free updates for five years and then wants $99/year thereafter. Talk about a profit center. Trouble is they are still supposed to be the best units on the market.
Sorry about the first reply. Hit the wrong button.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Doesn't seem to be much discussion about Garmin here so bumping this old thread. Thank goodness this 2019 Passport is wife's cuz I think I'm learning to hate it, and this nav system isn't helping that. At least, in the county in Northern WI where we are now the Garmin sees all the roads as long-archaic numbers and not current road names. Yes it's an Indian reservation but still--our other navs i.e. Nissan/HERE and TomTom show everything proper & current. And the other navs have speed-tracking capabilities the GARMIN does not i.e. the Nissan lets you set a "how close to the posted speed limit do you want to stay?" and then will alert you if you're going too fast. Oh and don't get me started on how convoluted the maps update process is...not a great system.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Glad I don't have those problems. I had a 2016. Toyota, a 2018 Chevy Equinox and those Nav systems were the worst I've ever used. I like the Garmin based system in my Passport.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts