Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would let a pro do the install be it a regular car audio shop or Best Buy. I would not recommend using the stock crossovers, the OEM Amp is handling the crossover points and I'm getting mine redone tomorrow!
Interesting, what did you have adjusted? I remember you previously had them changed to -3dB on the tweeters (very common on all the Honda upgrade threads I've read).

Also just to clarify, do you know if the OEM amp is only driving the crossover (which then drives the new door woofers & A pillar tweeters) ... in other words, the original A pillar tweeters wires from the OEM amp are left unconnected?

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Interesting, what did you have adjusted? I remember you previously had them changed to -3dB on the tweeters (very common on all the Honda upgrade threads I've read).

Also just to clarify, do you know if the OEM amp is only driving the crossover (which then drives the new door woofers & A pillar tweeters) ... in other words, the original A pillar tweeters wires from the OEM amp are left unconnected?
I think the OEM Amp is a DSP Amp, meaning the crossovers are set internally. The shop that did the majority of my install, plugged in his iPhone and ran a white noise app and thought the same thing.

My new DSP amp software has the ability to undo any incoming equalization and restore the full frequencies, so they can be re-tuned to each speaker. That's why when I used the crossovers that came with my speakers they were "crossing-over" signals that had already been adjusted, so by hooking up raw speakers directly to the OEM wires may be a better choice, although it will depend on the speaker...

make sense?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the OEM Amp is a DSP Amp, meaning the crossovers are set internally. The shop that did the majority of my install, plugged in his iPhone and ran a white noise app and thought the same thing.

My new DSP amp software has the ability to undo any incoming equalization and restore the full frequencies, so they can be re-tuned to each speaker. That's why when I used the crossovers that came with my speakers they were "crossing-over" signals that had already been adjusted, so by hooking up raw speakers directly to the OEM wires may be a better choice, although it will depend on the speaker...

make sense?
I think I'm missing something, "new DSP amp software" - did you add a new amp with built-in DSP/adjustable crossovers, or are you somehow able to remove the DSP based crossovers in the OEM head unit with a software upgrade/change?
I'm looking at the same Focal 165AS or perhaps JL Audio C5s.

·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think I'm missing something, "new DSP amp software" - did you add a new amp with built-in DSP/adjustable crossovers, or are you somehow able to remove the DSP based crossovers in the OEM head unit with a software upgrade/change?
I'm looking at the same Focal 165AS or perhaps JL Audio C5s.
Oh yeah, I upgraded big time, have a look here:

And yes, I'm referring to the new Amp DSP software, I don't think there is any way to get into the OEM software.

The Focals sound REALLY good, I was playing the remastered version of Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon today and it sounds great. The Focal 165AS Performance speakers are wonderful speakers. Here they are at Crutchfield:

But (call me crazy) I'm going with these Focals in the front:

And these Focals in the rear:

So as good as the $760 dollar Focal set up sounds, $3,300 worth should sound even better!

Hey, I plan on selling my AS165's as soon as I remove them, not sure if that would interested you, but I'm gonna be asking $200 per pair..

Cheers!

Reactions: nefilim

·
Registered
748 Posts
For Elite & Touring Owners, having the 540w Stereo: List and discuss your Stereo upgrades (or questions about upgrading), in here.

NOTE:
I also made a thread for the Basic 150w Stereo for those of you wishing to discuss issues regarding those models.

I'll go first, made a trip to a local Stereo store and they told me that they have upgraded two Passports in the last few months.

The latest Passport owner bought the Infinity REF-6530cx component speakers but the OEM 540w Amp was too under-powered to properly drive them, so they swapped them out two sets of Focal 165as and those sounded awesome and the Passport owner was super happy!

So I ordered two pairs of the Focal 165AS and will replace the front and rear Tweeters and the front & rear door Mid-Range/Woofers

Here is the Crutchfield link to the speakers I ordered, they have really great reviews:

As for what it's going to cost: well for two sets of these speakers, Installation, Dynamat in all four doors, and tax, it came to $800. (Which I thought was a pretty good deal, since the Focal speakers alone are $760 from Crutchfield).

Anyway, they had to order them and I will have them installed on Nov 16th, so I will update this thread after installation.
Hi, I have enjoyed reading your various posts re audio mods. I am interested in replacing the A pillar tweeters. I am looking for ones that will just snap into the existing openings. Also do not want to mess with new crossovers, etc. Hopefully something around $200 for the set. Would you have any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hi, I have enjoyed reading your various posts re audio mods. I am interested in replacing the A pillar tweeters. I am looking for ones that will just snap into the existing openings. Also do not want to mess with new crossovers, etc. Hopefully something around $200 for the set. Would you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Perfect timing, have a look at these: JBL Club 605CSQ

If you go to Crutchfield and put in your make & model, they will tell you what will fit and what adapters you will need!

The above speakers are 3ohm vs the OEM 2ohm speakers, they should work fine, just might have to turn it up a bit louder - BUT you may not have to as the JBL as spec'd at 93db - which is VERY effecient, so their is a chance they may even go louder, since we do not know the rating on the OEM speakers.

At any rate, these have very good reviews from 3 other Honda owners. You should NOT have to use the JBL crossovers, just do a speaker for speaker swap.

Cheers!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi, Thanks for getting back so quickly! I tried Crutchfield's site but all their suggested speakers called for some sort of alternative mounting such as hot glue or silicone. Perhaps they just say that about all.
I thought the PP speakers were 2 ohm, not 4.
Did I think wrong ?
I will definitely look into the JBLs. Actually, I am pretty pleased with the setup I have i.e. Infinities in the doors, Dynamat in the doors, and MLV everywhere I could put it. All thanks to your recommendations! But I have run out things to spend $ on the PP so I thought I would change out the tweeters then the C pillar speakers after that. :)

·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Nope, that was a typo, they are 2 ohm...

that might get tricky as I think the speakers in the C-Pillars (Touring/Elite) are some sort of Tweeter/Midrange..

Next up for you is replacing the Amp (lol)... It makes a huge difference

Anyway, aren't you in San Diego? If so, I will gladly demo my set up for you if you ever get up OC way, just let me know ahead of time...

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi @stevenD. You are a wealth of information, thank you for sharing all of this knowledge with us. I have a question for you regarding my front component speaker upgrade. I'm going with the Infinity Kappa 60csx component speakers in the front doors and A pillars of my 2020 Elite. Should I use the included crossover or just replace speaker for speaker? Thanks again for your help!

·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi @stevenD. You are a wealth of information, thank you for sharing all of this knowledge with us. I have a question for you regarding my front component speaker upgrade. I'm going with the Infinity Kappa 60csx component speakers in the front doors and A pillars of my 2020 Elite. Should I use the included crossover or just replace speaker for speaker? Thanks again for your help!
Hello CDW Sorry for the late reply, I believe the OEM stereo is DSP, meaning the frequencies sent to each speaker is controlled by the AMP/DSP Unit, I would try with & without the crossovers and see what sounds best...!

And be sure to sound deaden your doors...!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi @stevenD, thanks for the response. I ended up having as stereo shop (in a town I was visiting) install the Infinity Kappa speakers and they had a couple issues, so I'm glad I had 'experts' do the job. They did install the crossovers and the speakers sound good. They suggested that I add an amp for at least the front speakers and i think I will. Do you have any suggestions on the right amp for the job? I have the Infinity Kappa components in the front and the Infinity Reference (Kappa's don't fit) in the rear doors. The remaining speakers are all stock. And yes, I did install sound deadening in all 4 doors after the speaker install, I agree that it was a must!

·
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi @stevenD, thanks for the response. I ended up having as stereo shop (in a town I was visiting) install the Infinity Kappa speakers and they had a couple issues, so I'm glad I had 'experts' do the job. They did install the crossovers and the speakers sound good. They suggested that I add an amp for at least the front speakers and i think I will. Do you have any suggestions on the right amp for the job? I have the Infinity Kappa components in the front and the Infinity Reference (Kappa's don't fit) in the rear doors. The remaining speakers are all stock. And yes, I did install sound deadening in all 4 doors after the speaker install, I agree that it was a must!
The Amp will really depend on who far you want to go and your budget, a simple 4 channel amp can powers two sets of two-way speakers with crossovers (Passive), but if you want the best sound, running 8 channels (Active) is the only way to go...

I'd visit several car stereo shops get their quotes and reccomendations and then hit me up here, I'll help as much as I can.

PS: I can get (sell Hertz) stuff at amazing discounts and they make a lot of great gear...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts