Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Honda Passport Touring AWD. Obviously purchasing different trim levels gets you more polished black accents. One I actually wanted was the Gloss Black Tailgate Garnish, which comes from the factory on this Touring model as a flat black.

I paid $130 for just this piece (at the time shipping was free), and came with no instructions on how to install. I've seen it cheaper other places online.

• Time: 10-20 minutes
  • Parts Needed: Gloss Black Tailgate Garnish
  • Tools Needed: 8mm socket and socket wrench (AND) Small flathead screwdriver

I received the part and noticed it was pretty brittle, so handle with care. It has 9 plastic clips (Red) and two screw holes on the ends (Yellow).

Here is the before with old flat black garnish between the taillights.

Noticed on the inside of the tailgate the two bolts on the side...outside of the plastic at base of the plunger openers. I believe it was a 8mm socket (could be a 9mm if I am wrong here). One on each side.

Then carefully pulled the old garnish off. I was working in 25 degres weather, and broke a few clips, and snapped the old garish (oops). If it was warmer, I don't think anything would have broken. Then got to the above. This is the reverse camera, and two license plate lights. Fairly straight forward disconnecting. The white tab by my thumb was the tricky part, but a little flat-head helped pop it out toward myself without breaking.

Here is the old (bottom) and new top. I worked inside the garage to swap the lights and camera. Again, simple little tabs and pushed them together and pushed them down and out. Swapped them to the new. Very easy.

Here is the Passport with no garnish.

Here is the new gloss black garnish. I think it looks a lot better. Cleaner. Won't have to worry about putting any sort of plastic black restoring cleaner on this part.

I started by re-clipping all the wires (camera and two license plate bulbs). I then started from the center out (using gloves) to firmly connect the clips. I didn't push too hard because again it felt pretty cheap. Once I had them clipped (or it at least looked like it), I opened the tailgate and put the two bolts back on to tighten it all down.

Install was easy. I'd say a 3/10 in difficulty. Probably easier and a lower rating if the garnish was more solid feeling. Alas, I was afraid to snap it the entire time. It really is cheap feeling. I have some more pictures, but I'm limited to 10 on here. This took maybe 15 minutes with no idea on what I was getting myself into. I made sure to keep all the clips from the old garnish (since I broke mine), but would have kept the old garnish had I not.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Great DIY write up. It does look much better.

Reactions: patricksmith04

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
So you went from the flat black to gloss? I did not know they had an option for flat. Never have seen that.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Yes. I believe only the Elite comes with this part in the gloss black.
Thanks - I did not know that. I was originally trying to get a Touring I MSM. But after 4 months of looking in CA, NV and AZ, it was never to be found so went with the Elite, even though I don’t use several of the features.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Touring in Canada gets the gloss finish as well as most items on the Elite. The Canadian Touring is the top of the line, there is no Elite here.

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EXL. Obsidian Blue Pearl.
13 Posts
I'm also wanting to do this, I like the gloss finish much better than the matte, at least on that liftgate trim piece.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
243 Posts
My Passport looks clean even when it's not because it's white, but all the gloss black parts give it away because they get all spotted. As I was reading all the comments from people who prefer the gray wheels over the gloss black, I was thinking about how my black wheels look like the gray ones after I drive through some puddles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've always wondered why people hide their license plates in a forum post and yet those plates are prominently displayed when they're out and about driving around. :unsure:
I've thought about that also. In most states you can not get any personal info about someone from their license number unless you are law enforcement. The exception is if you have an amateur radio call sign license plate. The call sign can be looked up on the FCC site with owner's name and address.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
This has me thinking: I wonder if I can do a Carbon Fiber Wrap on that area...(?)
Corsa Motorsports told me they could wrap that trim piece and I was also going to have them do the front trim and the doors where it is black shiny. It might get done when I return.

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
2019 exl msm
19 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Honda Passport Touring AWD. Obviously purchasing different trim levels gets you more polished black accents. One I actually wanted was the Gloss Black Tailgate Garnish, which comes from the factory on this Touring model as a flat black.

View attachment 4522

I paid $130 for just this piece (at the time shipping was free), and came with no instructions on how to install. I've seen it cheaper other places online.

View attachment 4523
I received the part and noticed it was pretty brittle, so handle with care. It has 9 plastic clips (Red) and two screw holes on the ends (Yellow).

View attachment 4529

View attachment 4525
Noticed on the inside of the tailgate the two bolts on the side...outside of the plastic at base of the plunger openers. I believe it was a 8mm socket (could be a 9mm if I am wrong here). One on each side.

View attachment 4526
Then carefully pulled the old garnish off. I was working in 25 degres weather, and broke a few clips, and snapped the old garish (oops). If it was warmer, I don't think anything would have broken. Then got to the above. This is the reverse camera, and two license plate lights. Fairly straight forward disconnecting. The white tab by my thumb was the tricky part, but a little flat-head helped pop it out toward myself without breaking.

View attachment 4527 Here is the old (bottom) and new top. I worked inside the garage to swap the lights and camera. Again, simple little tabs and pushed them together and pushed them down and out. Swapped them to the new. Very easy.

View attachment 4530

View attachment 4531
Here is the new gloss black garnish. I think it looks a lot better. Cleaner. Won't have to worry about putting any sort of plastic black restoring cleaner on this part.

I started by re-clipping all the wires (camera and two license plate bulbs). I then started from the center out (using gloves) to firmly connect the clips. I didn't push too hard because again it felt pretty cheap. Once I had them clipped (or it at least looked like it), I opened the tailgate and put the two bolts back on to tighten it all down.

Install was easy. I'd say a 3/10 in difficulty. Probably easier and a lower rating if the garnish was more solid feeling. Alas, I was afraid to snap it the entire time. It really is cheap feeling. I have some more pictures, but I'm limited to 10 on here. This took maybe 15 minutes with no idea on what I was getting myself into. I made sure to keep all the clips from the old garnish (since I broke mine), but would have kept the old garnish had I not.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 4522

View attachment 4523

View attachment 4529

View attachment 4525

View attachment 4526

View attachment 4527 Here is the old (bottom) and new top. I worked inside the garage to swap the lights and camera. Again, simple little tabs and pushed them together and pushed them down and out. Swapped them to the new. Very easy.

View attachment 4530

View attachment 4531

Hope this helps!
I also installed the black garnish on the tailgate today. Was fortunate not to break it or any of the clips. Probably will post on ebay

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
I've thought about that also. In most states you can not get any personal info about someone from their license number unless you are law enforcement. The exception is if you have an amateur radio call sign license plate. The call sign can be looked up on the FCC site with owner's name and address.
It’s just in case there’s a nutjob or clepto on the forum that may be near you, and would like to “borrow” some of your accessories, etc. Or a disgruntled member looking to track you down. If they have a cop friend, they can run a plate for you, or, they can track you down in your general vicinity and match the plate.

I’ve got plenty of cameras, a dog, and a few things that cause some very painful lead poisoning. Not to mention some special skills that would ruin someone’s day. 😉

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Anyone with the flat black garnish that would want to trade for the gloss in SoCal?
I’d be even more estatic if you would remove and install on mine? I would be to nervous I’d break it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts