Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per the user's manual on page 272
Your audio system reads and plays audio files on a USB flash drive in either MP3, WMA, or AAC*1 format.
*1: Only AAC format files recorded with iTunes are playable on this unit.
For me this is a major hurdle. I dj as a hobby and record my mixes to lossless wav format. Using audio editing tools like Roxio music editor and Audacity, I can clip tracks then tag each track with the information and export to various lossless audio formats (flac). When played back on a computer, it's very easy to use many players to view the track but in the case of playback to the Passport it's very limited.
Since I purchased the Passport Elite, there isn't an option to purchase the factory cd player. I'm stuck with using the USB port for playback. MP3 files are lossy and do not have seamless transition between tracks. Apple AAC format is also lossy. WMA is lossy, but I did some research and found WMA lossless which actually does play back from a flash drive. The challenge now is to find a method to convert hundreds of WAV files to WMA lossless. Here are a couple recommendations.

1. ffmpeg - freeware open source command line tool converting to many audio and video formats. If you're tech savvy, this is the best utility for both Windows and Mac
2. NCH Switch - for Windows users wanting a graphic interface this is my recommendation. I've used the free version (no ads) and had no issues.

I'm no audiophile and the difference in quality between my wav converted to mp3 is almost negligible. The issue is one 80 minute mp3 cannot provide separation between tracks with track information. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite (Modern Steel Metallic, Black Interior)
63 Posts
What about using VLC on the iPhone to play your WAV (AIFF) files over Bluetooth?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While that's an option, bluetooth is lossy. Apple's music player can play wav files, so there's really no need for VLC player.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand that. It's an issue with media formats supported by the factory system. VLC doesn't need to do anything. Apple Car Play and Android Auto provide sufficient support for media playback. I can connect my iPhone 12 using a USB cable and have WAV file playback. Thus, lossless audio from my phone with track information. Having a different source such as a USB flash drive limits your format to the three (mp3, AAC, and WMA). Maybe I can be more specific by saying, let's not connect a phone to the factory stereo. Without a phone, whether Android or iPhone, your other option to play music is via a USB flash drive.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It sounds like you might need a better DAC than the one that's built into the factory head unit. Perhaps something like this:

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite (Modern Steel Metallic, Black Interior)
63 Posts
I don't understand that. It's an issue with media formats supported by the factory system. VLC doesn't need to do anything. Apple Car Play and Android Auto provide sufficient support for media playback. I can connect my iPhone 12 using a USB cable and have WAV file playback. Thus, lossless audio from my phone with track information. Having a different source such as a USB flash drive limits your format to the three (mp3, AAC, and WMA). Maybe I can be more specific by saying, let's not connect a phone to the factory stereo. Without a phone, whether Android or iPhone, your other option to play music is via a USB flash drive.
Ok, I get it now. You want to just plug a USB drive in and play from that. In that case, it would likely have to be a firmware update by Panasonic (who makes the head unit) to support additional formats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for both responses and they are both great solutions. I've been checking for software or firmware updates for the factory unit. In the future I am considering replacing it but I've already made a major investment on full speaker and amplifier replacement. The factory player isn't bad, it's just an awareness for others to know the limitations.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your a Mac you might want to look at either Adapter or Audacity. Adapter is a simple converter, Audacity is an editor/mixer/converter. Both free. Wondershare UniConverter does lossless WAV as well but is a paid program.

One question though. It is all that important for listening to music in a vehicle to go to all the trouble? I have yet to go to any music venue and have them play vehicle road noise in the background to enhance the experience. As a life long musician and audiophile I have built a quality system in the house where I can control the environment. For my Touring it gives me good audio for when I am driving considering the overall situation.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. I never quite understood putting a ton of money into something that is short term and probably not able to be pulled and installed in the next vehicle a few short years from now just to listen to music.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're not understanding my dilemma. If I make an 80 minute mix that is 15 tracks, I want the ability to play each track with information and seamless playback. In order to accomplish seamless playback you need lossless audio. Regardless if I playback an mp3 version in lossy format or lossless wav of the entire mix I then do not have track information.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you'd have much better luck having your questions answered on a car audio forum. I'm a life long audiophile, but my sole interest is in home audio.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you'd have much better luck having your questions answered on a car audio forum. I'm a life long audiophile, but my sole interest is in home audio.
I don't have questions, I'm stating that audio formats supported by the factory stereo include WMA lossless. I provided additional information on utilities to convert files to WMA lossless. That's all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You're not understanding my dilemma. If I make an 80 minute mix that is 15 tracks, I want the ability to play each track with information and seamless playback. In order to accomplish seamless playback you need lossless audio. Regardless if I playback an mp3 version in lossy format or lossless wav of the entire mix I then do not have track information.
Sorry, but I think you are not understanding the software.

In Music, the iTunes replacement you can do seamless playback. It's one of the options to remove the pause between tracks when you burn the playlist.

In Audacity you drop in the tracks you want, do not add track spacing, put the tracks end to end with no spacing, go into each track and and put in the information you want for each track.

I haven't been a Windows for years, so some of those options may or may not be in the Window versions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't have questions, I'm stating that audio formats supported by the factory stereo include WMA lossless. I provided additional information on utilities to convert files to WMA lossless. That's all.
Gotcha, Dude.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, but I think you are not understanding the software.

In Music, the iTunes replacement you can do seamless playback. It's one of the options to remove the pause between tracks when you burn the playlist.

In Audacity you drop in the tracks you want, do not add track spacing, put the tracks end to end with no spacing, go into each track and and put in the information you want for each track.

I haven't been a Windows for years, so some of those options may or may not be in the Window versions.
It's not the software. Again, it's the Honda Passport stereo system USB connection ONLY supports mp3, AAC and WMA. If I don't play from my iPhone, Apple Lossless ALAC is NOT an option to save to a USB flash drive to play back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well If you can't get an update to the head until that works, there is alway this option. Basically a fancy flash drive with more capabilities including what you are looking for. You might even be able to incorporate it into you DJ activities.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have yet to go to any music venue and have them play vehicle road noise in the background to enhance the experience. As a life long musician and audiophile I have built a quality system in the house where I can control the environment. For my Touring it gives me good audio for when I am driving considering the overall situation.

Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.
Same, I'm not arguing, and actually I appreciate the info because I have a lot of FLAC files, so now I know I can't use USB, which I was strongly considering, so now I'm just chiming in with my 1 1/2 cents.

My biggest issue with car audio is never dac/amp/transducer, it's always reflections/positioning, and that is something that will never be good inside of a tiny enclosed space where reflections cannot escape - yes! Your music does actually sound better with the windows down for that reason! Or at least that's what my baseless guesswork surmises 😋 I mirror the sentiments of many of you, where stock is pretty much "good enough" and let sleeping dogs lie - though I did lower the sub volume by one tick and lowered the bass eq by two ticks. It was quite boomy for the music I listen to. Again, internal reflections...

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,748 Posts
yes! Your music does actually sound better with the windows down for that reason! Or at least that's what my baseless guesswork surmises 😋
I've never heard that and certainly my PP doesn't sound better with windows cracked or down, it only forces me to increase the volume to overcome the wind noise...!

·
Registered
27 Posts
WHAT???
I THOUGHT THE HIGH VOLUME IS WHAT MADE THE MUSIC SOUND BETTER???
😂 😁 🤪

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The technical term is Loud As [email protected]#$. 🤣😂😅 In any case, I listen to House music and my ears prefer the insanely large club speaker setups with subs that rumble everything. VERY different from the other high-end system builds others have posted. To each their own. One thing for sure is get the best possible source music first then figure out what speakers and amplifiers you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts