Honda Passport Forum banner

Sunday Afternoon Tire Change

4413 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  MrPMS
I was about to leave the house when I was interrupted by a lovely message about the tire pressure.

Sure enough, I had a flat tire.

My 16-year-old son helped me change it.

Once we got the tire off, we could see why it was flat.

The toy tire is so cute! :p

See less See more
Reactions: 3
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Like the song says: "1 is a lonely number"...

Looks like you got "screwed"...

Easy fix in that location...
Reactions: 2
I prefer "Glazed Donuts" myself.
Reactions: 1
The toy tire! 🤣
I hope you have tinted windows while driving to the tire shop!
A couple of times, each year I check the pressure in my spare tire.
The valve stem points down (as in all my Honda/Acura cars) so I have to struggle to get the spare out of the plastic tub area. I have to put the rear seat down, so I can lift the tire, slide it forward, and clear the tub area. I really need to work on a vertical storage solution.
Nothing beats starting your week like a trip to the tire store, but Discount Tire took good care of me. They had me out of there in less than thirty minutes, and it was free.

Reactions: 3
Nothing beats starting your week like a trip to the tire store, but Discount Tire took good care of me. They had me out of there in less than thirty minutes, and it was free.

Plug or patch or both?
How far can you drive an AWD Passport with the donut spare? I would think that the rear clutch packs are working overtime with the difference in rear wheel circumference.
I'd have to consult the manual to see how far you are supposed to drive on it. I wouldn't want to go very far, and luckily, Discount Tire is only a couple of miles from my house, and I never needed to get above 40 MPH.

I'm glad that others had shared their experiences because I would have been freaked out a little by all of the warnings popped up about different systems that were having problems because of the toy tire. I still had notifications popping up after my regular tire was back on, but they went away after leaving the parking lot.
Well all considered it turned out well. Folks at Discount Tire have some of the best customer service, hence why I bought my tires from them! Good thing it was the rear tire. I don't think I'd want to drive with that donut on the front. :eek:
How far can you drive an AWD Passport with the donut spare? I would think that the rear clutch packs are working overtime with the difference in rear wheel circumference.
Based on the experience the wife had with her Nissan Rogue AWD it's not just distance, but speed. They only way to keep the temp down for her was to drive not just granny slow, but great granny who has cataracts slow, as in no faster than 20 mph. Why she had to learn that I'm not sure. She has roadside assistance so why she called them and had them put the donut on instead of having them tow it in the first place I do not know.

And yes for those who might be wondering, she had Nissan road side assistance change the tire to the donut, found out she could only creep along and had them come back and then tow it to the Nissan Dealership. They got a good chuckle out of it.
I've not studied the manual for the Passport but with my old AWD Fusion Ford insisted that the donut be installed in the rear regardless of where the flat occurred. That makes for interesting multiple tire swaps in the breakdown lane. I don't think the Fusion AWD system was as active as the Passport but it makes sense when a car is essentially FWD in the majority of driving conditions.
I've not studied the manual for the Passport but with my old AWD Fusion Ford insisted that the donut be installed in the rear regardless of where the flat occurred. That makes for interesting multiple tire swaps in the breakdown lane. I don't think the Fusion AWD system was as active as the Passport but it makes sense when a car is essentially FWD in the majority of driving conditions.
This is the only mention of not putting the donut on the front that I found, but it applies to having chains on the tires.

Do not mount tire chains on a compact spare tire. If a chain-mounted front tire goes flat, remove one of the full-size rear tires and replace it with the compact spare tire. Remove the flat front tire and replace it with the full-size tire that was removed from the rear. Mount the tire chains on the front tire.

It also talks about not going over 50 mph. Not sure that is a speed that can be achieved safely. I hope I never have to find out.
Reactions: 2
I was about to leave the house when I was interrupted by a lovely message about the tire pressure.

View attachment 7584

Sure enough, I had a flat tire.

View attachment 7585

My 16-year-old son helped me change it.

View attachment 7586

Once we got the tire off, we could see why it was flat.

View attachment 7587

The toy tire is so cute! :p

View attachment 7588
Good for Discount Tire for taking care of you. Most tire shops won’t make a repair on the outside tread sections anymore. One reason I have a Safety Seal plug kit in case I need to fix it myself.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.