Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru owner here! Long time Impreza driver and LOVE the AWD in my Subaru. Was really considering the Forester for a long time but Subaru dumped the XT turbo model in 2019. Consistantly, reviewers are complaining about the lack of power in the 2019 Foresters. I really think Honda might have hit a sweet spot with the V6.

On paper, the 2019 Passport is really ticking off the boxes for me. Ride height, AWD option, power and more cargo room than the Forester. I'm no offroader but, I want AWD and the ability to get on some forest access roads in the Pacific Northwest. Thinking camping and mountian biking.

Any other Subaru owners thinking of making the jump to Honda?!

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,587 Posts
Hi Gordon, not a Subaru owner, but have spent the last year (or more) trying to figure out which AWD SUV to get and at one point thought the Outback might be it. The problem I have heard consistently from current Subaru owners (Both Forester & Outback) is the Lack of Power and coming from driving two BMW 6-cyl cars over the last 16 years, I did not think a whimy 4-cyl vehicle (including the new RAV4) would satisfy me.

Well, I drove the new Passport (only FWD) yesterday and it had loads of power, felt super well made, doors close like a truck (very solid - not thin & tinny), I'm sure the AWD will be even better and that is what I am targeting for my camping & fishing trips! Oh I also put the seats down and climbed into the back and could stretch out flat with no problems (I'm about 5'10") so with a 4" foam and my zero degree fleece-lined Ledge sleeping bag, I'll be plenty comfy.

Cheers..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Steven! I'm really happy to hear how the doors close like a truck and well built. Amazing that you can fit in the back with the seats down. This really does sound like a great vehicle for the camping crowd. Not all of us want to go rock crawling!

·
Registered
124 Posts
With the front seats slid forward and tilted forward, I measured 7 feet 3 inches of sleeping room in our 2020 EXL, AWD.
The V6 makes great power.
If you drive one, you buy one.
Good luck

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,587 Posts
Hi Gordon, not a Subaru owner, but have spent the last year (or more) trying to figure out which AWD SUV to get and at one point thought the Outback might be it. The problem I have heard consistently from current Subaru owners (Both Forester & Outback) is the Lack of Power and coming from driving two BMW 6-cyl cars over the last 16 years, I did not think a whimy 4-cyl vehicle (including the new RAV4) would satisfy me.

Well, I drove the new Passport (only FWD) yesterday and it had loads of power, felt super well made, doors close like a truck (very solid - not thin & tinny), I'm sure the AWD will be even better and that is what I am targeting for my camping & fishing trips! Oh I also put the seats down and climbed into the back and could stretch out flat with no problems (I'm about 5'10") so with a 4" foam and my zero degree fleece-lined Ledge sleeping bag, I'll be plenty comfy.

Cheers..

As long as we are resurrecting this one...

I've got an update, my post above was made in Feb-2019, roughly a month (Mar-2019) before I purchased my Passport and five months (Jul-2019) before I purchased a 2019 Forrester for my daughter, I tried to steer her towards a AWD CRV, but she did not like the look and it was many thousands more for about the same features. She is going to school in Colorado and no way did I want her taking her FWD 2016 Accord there, we wanted her to have an AWD vehicle, like most everything else there.

I have driven her Forrester there and back with her (approx 1,500 miles each way) and found it to be a very comfortable drive. Now, it is still not real competition for my PP as the price difference was about $12k, but it seems to be a great second car for a 20 year old...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Isn't a Subaru the same as a Colorado Cadillac?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Subaru owner here! Long time Impreza driver and LOVE the AWD in my Subaru. Was really considering the Forester for a long time but Subaru dumped the XT turbo model in 2019. Consistantly, reviewers are complaining about the lack of power in the 2019 Foresters. I really think Honda might have hit a sweet spot with the V6.

On paper, the 2019 Passport is really ticking off the boxes for me. Ride height, AWD option, power and more cargo room than the Forester. I'm no offroader but, I want AWD and the ability to get on some forest access roads in the Pacific Northwest. Thinking camping and mountian biking.

I traded my 2017 Subaru Forester Premium for a 2020 Honda PP Touring AWD

·
Registered
124 Posts
I need to look at dates before posting.
Still solid info guys.

(I own 2 chain saws, so pretty sure I'm forbidden from owning a Subaru, haha.)

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6 touring.
I made the switch to a 2020 Honda Passport Awd - I’m very happy with my decision. Couldn’t stand the sluggish performance of the 3.6 AND hated the cvt. Not to mention the continuous trips to the dealership. The dash noise was unbearable. And the constant door panel rattles drove me nuts. Subarus quality control is a joke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts