Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
James, have the dealer check it out. Should operate the same as the Ridgeline.
I had the dealership service tech start it up yesterday but of course I got the "totally normal"response, even know it's totally different from my 18 Ridgeline. I don't think I'd notice it as much if the seat was not retracted all the way back prior to starting. I hope this is something that I'll have to get adjusted to. I just never had a vehicle's brake pedal pressurize without pumping it while the car is off. Literally, I'll shut down the car, get out, then go back 2 min later and the brake pedal is fully pressurized. (77 Ford, 88 Volvo, Accord, two 3.2TL's, Ridgeline and now PP). Thank you for responding Mt. man, I'll seek one more opinion from a Honda tech that doesn't work for a dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the dealership service tech start it up yesterday but of course I got the "totally normal"response, even know it's totally different from my 18 Ridgeline. I don't think I'd notice it as much if the seat was not retracted all the way back prior to starting. I hope this is something that I'll have to get adjusted to. I just never had a vehicle's brake pedal pressurize without pumping it while the car is off. Literally, I'll shut down the car, get out, then go back 2 min later and the brake pedal is fully pressurized. (77 Ford, 88 Volvo, Accord, two 3.2TL's, Ridgeline and now PP). Thank you for responding Mt. man, I'll seek one more opinion from a Honda tech that doesn't work for a dealership.
PS Operational works great! Love the 19 Passport! Only the start up is my issue. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,724 Posts
And we are back to this...
Got a low battery alert Monday and this am AFTER driving to the eye dr, just 30 minutes away from where I live.

At 8am I went to my car in the garage at home and the brake was extremely stiff. It was about 47* last night. But my car was in the uninsulated garage. Had to press all the buttons on and off at least 7 times to get it to start.

What gives...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine was doing this rather frequently last year but it hasn’t happened in a very long time now. No idea why it was happening or why it has stopped. At about 38k miles now.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,304 Posts
Prodgirl, maybe it's not tied to the temperature, seems like 80% of the passport owners here live in colder climates that we do here in So. Cal, without these types of issues..

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
It’s so weird. It hasn’t happened since I was at my brothers in December or January and it sat naked out in the cold.

At least I don’t need to find a sleeping blanket for it when it gets below 70*. But this am I was probably 1-2 more tries before calling for another Uber to the eye surgeon!

I’ll do some more reading here in a few days, need to watch my screen time the next 3-4 days so my eyes heal.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
Mine was doing this rather frequently last year but it hasn’t happened in a very long time now. No idea why it was happening or why it has stopped. At about 38k miles now.
did you ever find a reason for it?

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
Prodgirl, maybe it's not tied to the temperature, seems like 80% of the passport owners here live in colder climates that we do here in So. Cal, without these types of issues..
it makes me about as furious as the low battery alert issue!

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
Update from this AM post.
stopped by my Honda shop guys in HB this afternoon to test the battery and ask if they have heard about this issue on any other new Honda’s. They only have me as a new Passport customer, but several Ridgelines, Odyssey’s, Civic’s, Accord’s and NSX, and No one has mentioned this issue with a difficult start and stiff brake pad, yet alone low battery alerts and they test good. No codes show up either?

·
Registered
206 Posts
did you ever find a reason for it?
Nope. Unless one of the maintenance things along the way just happened to fix it, didn’t do anything specific other than what the maintenance minder schedule calls for. Or maybe the jsport wheels and tire package with the lift kit happened to fix it. Just grabbing at straws though. I didn’t even notice or think about it having stopped until I saw this thread again the other day.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
Nope. Unless one of the maintenance things along the way just happened to fix it, didn’t do anything specific other than what the maintenance minder schedule calls for. Or maybe the jsport wheels and tire package with the lift kit happened to fix it. Just grabbing at straws though. I didn’t even notice or think about it having stopped until I saw this thread again the other day.
Same here. I just looked back and the first and last time this happened was 11 months ago! 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2020 Honda Passport that has had the stiff brake pedal with issues starting up and the low battery warning as well-- very frustrating. I have sent the American Honda company an email and included this forum link to let them know that there are a fair number of us with this issue. will let you all know if they write back with anything useful.

·
Registered
936 Posts
We have not experienced the hard pedal syndrome yet.. That being said;

SInce these cars are more like computers and less like cars, beginning in 2014, my wife and I have been "booting our cars up" prior to starting them. In the keyed vehicles, we turn the key forward, and then put our seat belts on. This gives the car time to do all the many electronic things it does before we actually start the engine.

In our new passport, we simply hit the start button before touching the brake pedal, buckle up, then start it.

We may not be accomplishing anything, perhaps we are.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Larry D pretty much summed it up, Honda has no fix AFAIK. In the four years that I had my Ridgeline it only happened a handful of times. I suggest that when it occurs and you can't depress the brake pedal to allow the starter to engage, try doing a remote start and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering wheel lock up.... - Depress then press brake pedal, move steering wheel left and right a few times, and then hit the start button. Has to do with Anti-Theft i believe, but it happens to me on occasion and it works every time.
Thanks! That worked for me!

Got a 1 month old PP, wouldn't start yesterday. Slammed the brake pedal, turn steering wheel left and right then pressed the button, started right up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks! That worked for me!

Got a 1 month old PP, wouldn't start yesterday. Slammed the brake pedal, turn steering wheel left and right then pressed the button, started right up.
I took my 2020 Passport to the dealer- they checked the battery- it's fine. I also wrote to Honda- they just said to take it to the dealer and not much else. They didn't say they were aware of this issue which is disappointing as just reading this forum, we can get a snapshot of this being a more pervasive than isolated incident. My mechanics had not heard of this issue as well. I think the combination of steering wheel lock plus a harder push on the brake pedal seems to be the solution. Other than that, my car has done really well on snow and ice.

·
Registered
409 Posts
On the RL forum this issue is mentioned too. It's well documented. A member fixed the issue himself. Honda wouldn't fix it. It involves the replacement of a check valve. It's an inexpensive fix I suppose it can be paid for out of pocket and be done with it instead of arguing with Honda.

Here is the lengthy thread on the Ridgeline forum.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 Sport Steel Metallic
77 Posts
Just purchased two 2021 pp, one for wife and one for myself. Mine is fine but when I drive the wife's, going to car wash or backing out of the garage her brake pedal is always hard as a rock, mine never. Not sure why or is it something to be concerned about. They are both sport models.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD Blue
108 Posts
Mine started doing the same thing a few months ago - harder push of the brake pedal before it would start. Once you get used to the fact it takes more brake pedal effort its not a big deal.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts