Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes my PPort stays parked in garage for 2-3 days after a quick trip in the area. I always back into garage, turn off AC/radio, hit P for park, press the emergency before or just after I turn off the auto.

Twice now, on two different days, I go to start it, press the brake pedal, hit START button and the brake pedal feels stiff, stuck. Dash lights up as usual but brake pedal does not move up or down. And it doesn't start!! Nothing happens! I see on the read out to 'Press brake pedal to start', while I'm doing just that. I've done this with and without my seatbelt fastened. Thinking I needed to be strapped in to start. But I've started it before without my seatbelt on and not seen this.

I'm wondering if this is a symptom of a dying battery? I've read a couple threads here of the auto having to be run more often or the battery may die from being parked too long. It has stayed parked for 3-4 days at a time and nothing like this happened. It just seems too soon for a bad battery already. Maybe the electronic transmission is having some kind of glitch and this just occurs now and then. I press the brake, still stiff, I push the start button, nothing. After a few seconds, I open the door or just wait inside, do the start up steps again and it works normally.

Since it's only happened twice and it runs normally all other times, I doubt I can reproduce this for the dealership. After its' done this, it performs normally and did not do it again on the same day after stopping at other locations. Seems to me it's a electronic glitch, that's just a guess. Anyone experience this intermittently as I have?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,724 Posts
Sometimes my PPort stays parked in garage for 2-3 days after a quick trip in the area. I always back into garage, turn off AC/radio, hit P for park, press the emergency before or just after I turn off the auto.

Twice now, on two different days, I go to start it, press the brake pedal, hit START button and the brake pedal feels stiff, stuck. Dash lights up as usual but brake pedal does not move up or down. And it doesn't start!! Nothing happens! I see on the read out to 'Press brake pedal to start', while I'm doing just that. I've done this with and without my seatbelt fastened. Thinking I needed to be strapped in to start. But I've started it before without my seatbelt on and not seen this.

I'm wondering if this is a symptom of a dying battery? I've read a couple threads here of the auto having to be run more often or the battery may die from being parked too long. It has stayed parked for 3-4 days at a time and nothing like this happened. It just seems too soon for a bad battery already. Maybe the electronic transmission is having some kind of glitch and this just occurs now and then. I press the brake, still stiff, I push the start button, nothing. After a few seconds, I open the door or just wait inside, do the start up steps again and it works normally.

Since it's only happened twice and it runs normally all other times, I doubt I can reproduce this for the dealership. After its' done this, it performs normally and did not do it again on the same day after stopping at other locations. Seems to me it's a electronic glitch, that's just a guess. Anyone experience this intermittently as I have?
Where do you live? Is it getting cold at night? My CRV didn’t like cold starts after sitting in my garage for a few days in the bitter cold So Cal winters! ?

Why are you using your emergency brake if that’s what you meant above?

I’ve left my Passport for two weeks before starting it and it was ok, that doesn’t mean you could not have a bad battery though?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I have pushed the brake pedal harder when its' done this, nothing happens. I just try the START UP sequence again and it works.

HAHA, kinda wish it was a cold weather issue ProdGirl. Here in S.E. Texas, about 26 miles NE of Houston, it's been so very hot and humid for some time. Only due to this Imelda depression, no sunshine or 100+ degree days for a change; sweet relief.

Not sure if this could be a related issue, I just went out to try it again, started right up, no problem. Now, I did see there is a Update Pending ! sign on the icon screen. It gave me the option to run that update after I turned the engine off and exit the vehicle, so I pressed that option. It's prolly more a electronics update and not part of this issue. So I'll just keep an eye on this and bring it up when I eventually go to dealer for those odd, front end noises alot of us are hearing. :confused:

O.T., @ProdGirl, if you care to say, are you in TV, Movie or other production? My step daughter just won her fifth Emmy this past weekend for television production. She's been a Producer, now Executive Producer on some popular TV shows. Proud mom always her plus-one to attend the Emmys'. Thanks for the replies here. peace y'all, e.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oh I have pushed the brake pedal harder when its' done this, nothing happens. I just try the START UP sequence again and it works.

HAHA, kinda wish it was a cold weather issue ProdGirl. Here in S.E. Texas, about 26 miles NE of Houston, it's been so very hot and humid for some time. Only due to this Imelda depression, no sunshine or 100+ degree days for a change; sweet relief.

Not sure if this could be a related issue, I just went out to try it again, started right up, no problem. Now, I did see there is a Update Pending ! sign on the icon screen. It gave me the option to run that update after I turned the engine off and exit the vehicle, so I pressed that option. It's prolly more a electronics update and not part of this issue. So I'll just keep an eye on this and bring it up when I eventually go to dealer for those odd, front end noises alot of us are hearing. :confused:

O.T., @ProdGirl, if you care to say, are you in TV, Movie or other production? My step daughter just won her fifth Emmy this past weekend for television production. She's been a Producer, now Executive Producer on some popular TV shows. Proud mom always her plus-one to attend the Emmys'. Thanks for the replies here. peace y'all, e.
Wow that is odd. Typically a hard pedal is booster related, let us know if it worsens!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,724 Posts

Yeah - it’s not a cold weather thing!
I’d keep an eye on it and if it’s more persistent take to the awful dealer. Though they are unlikely to diagnose the problem...I swear they don’t know what they are doing.

I just did my system update yesterday too and haven’t noticed anything like you’ve got before or after.

As far as ProdGirl - I say it’s my ‘call sign’...I work in live production and entertainment. Did a few film projects, however, I don’t have the patience for film - so kudos to your girl. It’s a tough business for us females and even tougher to be successful!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @larryd, Jermboy777. Is this something that has to be addressed by a mechanic? Or just what happens in that type of environment? My last few '08 Pilot, '12 Ridgeline, '13 Crosstour or '15 Highlander never, ever did this to me. Is it a keyless-start thing? '13 Crosstour never did it. But I'll have to ask the wife to be sure.

Or just something that will happen now and then, just live with it? It is very intermittent so far; twice. Could it get worse in time? No mechanic am I, so if it's obvious to most, thanks for helpful replies.

As per Jack Gallow, "its' not vacuum Donnie, it's hot air". "Wrong lab partner; vacuuuuuum." ?

Sorry, just too much TV. :geek: peace y'all, e.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,304 Posts
Happens to me somewhat frequently. Haven't noticed any rhyme or reason for it and I drive it everyday. Just push harder.

Same here, mine is doing this quite often, I thought it was just me trying to rush things, because when I slow down it always seems to start...

Reactions: ErnieD2

·
Registered
19 Posts
This happen to me twice this week...for the first time. My Passport has 3,100 miles. Took a quick trip up to the Central Coast. First time was when I went to start the car in the morning after it had been parked outside in the hotel parking lot overnight. Second time after I got home and later decided to pull out of my garage and give the Passport a wash. I really had to push the brake pedal hard to get the starter to engage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Add me to the list that this happens. It's actually happening more often. Just cleared 7,000 miles.

:confused:

Reactions: Mikebones

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just bought my PP ExL on Monday and have less than 150 miles. This happened 2 days ago to me. Hard brake pedal and everything normal but wouldn’t start. I just waited a few seconds, put my seatbelt on and tried again and it started like normal. I had driven it a few hours before so it had not been sitting.

Also, having the steering pulling to the right issue, radio static at times, and somewhat harsh and noisy shifts here and there. Very disappointed thus far and starting to think the Grand Cherokee may have been the better option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is happening to me as well. Bought 10/14/19 and I have 270 miles on the car today (10/27/19). I see messages like BRAKE SYSTEM PROBLEM and HILL ASSIST PROBLEM, and PRESS BRAKE TO START... Has Honda said anything to anyone about this issue?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I didn’t see any messages when it happened to me. Everything on the dash looked normal. It just wouldn’t start. I’m sure Honda is aware of it and hopefully just a software update will fix it.

Mannylee: Maybe since you had the error messages pop up they were stored in the ecu and the dealer can pull them?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The intermittent hard pedal on startup has been going on for a while now with Pilots, and Ridelines. Some say it's a check valve on the booster others have tried to circumvent the issue by using remote start. On thing for sure is Honda hasn't fixed it or we wouldn't be hearing about it on Passports.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Steering wheel lock up.... - Depress then press brake pedal, move steering wheel left and right a few times, and then hit the start button. Has to do with Anti-Theft i believe, but it happens to me on occasion and it works every time.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
5 Posts

The intermittent hard pedal on startup has been going on for a while now with Pilots, and Ridelines. Some say it's a check valve on the booster others have tried to circumvent the issue by using remote start. On thing for sure is Honda hasn't fixed it or we wouldn't be hearing about it on Passports.
I just got 2019 Elite 2 days ago, Stiff brake EVERY time I start the car. Did you get this issue resolved or is this something I have to get adjusted to. Weird, I'm coming from a 2018 Ridgeline, the brake pedal NEVER felt this stiff! It's maybe moving an inch or 2 with a lot of pressure being applied just to start it. Thank you for any feedback.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts