Honda Passport Forum banner

Stereo System Test Music

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Beachbum07 
#1 ·
Let’s put together a list of music that you consider to be great to test a car stereo system’s performance. What do you like to use to evaluate a system?

#3 ·
Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" album, especially the song "Time". Great song for evaluating the bass response of any system. Alan Parsons was the recording engineer on this album and its considered to be one of the finest recordings and engineering mixes in rock history. Not bad for a 47 year old recording.

Reactions: Beachbum07
#4 ·
Here is mine, designed to cover all aspects....

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

Edward Elgar - Cello Concerto in E Minor

Giuseppe Verdi - Requiem

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Dave Brubeck - Take Five

Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (full version)

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain

La donna è mobile” from Verdi’s Rigoletto

“L’amour est un oiseau rebelle” from Bizet’s Carmen

Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife

Nat King Cole - Stardust

Duke Ellington -Take the A Train

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson - Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys

Flatts & Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Indiana Jones Theme song

Star Wars Theme song

The Pink Panther Theme song

The Godfather Theme song

#7 ·
Here is mine, designed to cover all aspects....

Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture
Great list! For the 1812 Overture, the best version is on the Telarc Digital label, which has the actual cannon fire. I think I’ve got the CD. Gotta dig it out now.

#5 ·
Great list but you left two out...
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
Willie Nelson / Ray Charles - Seven Spanish Angels

Reactions: Beachbum07
#6 ·
Some great ones here, you can see by all the answers that music is a personal thing and "what moves" one person not gonna please the next, meaning the short and simple answer is "Whatever you favorite artist or song is"!

For the ones old enough to remember, music used to be about the musical artist themselves and the message they were trying to covey. Music was created by Musicians, talented ones! The 60's and 70's featured the greatest guitar players, drummers, keyboardists, etc, as it was truly the Age of Musicians!

Predominantly starting in the 80's and pretty much dominating all popular music today, it was all about the Choreography! It no longer mattered if you were an excellent musician, as everything is pretty much created via synthesizer, what matters is that you have a bunch of dancers that can move in unison to your babbling lyrics about the boy that dumped you or some mindless Rap song, which again replaces guitar solos with rhyming words mumbled about putting women down, making money or your cool shoes!

SORRY, I needed to vent...

The remaster CD of Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon is an excellent choice, both Time (when all kinds of clocks go off) or Money (with the intense clanging of coins) sound awesome on a nice stereo system.

They actually asked this recently on a music that I am a part of and I said:

Simple Minds: New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) Remaster 2002 release (Virgin #78644221)

The drums POUND, the bass THUMPS, the guitar SCORCHES and the vocals are CRYSTAL CLEAR... The people whom I have played this CD for, in my PP with my upgraded speakers, get this big smile on their faces and shake their heads in amazement!

#9 ·
Some great ones here, you can see by all the answers that music is a personal thing and "what moves" one person not gonna please the next, meaning the short and simple answer is "Whatever you favorite artist or song is"!

For the ones old enough to remember, music used to be about the musical artist themselves and the message they were trying to covey. Music was created by Musicians, talented ones! The 60's and 70's featured the greatest guitar players, drummers, keyboardists, etc, as it was truly the Age of Musicians!

Predominantly starting in the 80's and pretty much dominating all popular music today, it was all about the Choreography! It no longer mattered if you were an excellent musician, as everything is pretty much created via synthesizer, what matters is that you have a bunch of dancers that can move in unison to your babbling lyrics about the boy that dumped you or some mindless Rap song, which again replaces guitar solos with rhyming words mumbled about putting women down, making money or your cool shoes!

SORRY, I needed to vent...

The remaster CD of Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon is an excellent choice, both Time (when all kinds of clocks go off) or Money (with the intense clanging of coins) sound awesome on a nice stereo system.

They actually asked this recently on a music that I am a part of and I said:

Simple Minds: New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84) Remaster 2002 release (Virgin #78644221)

The drums POUND, the bass THUMPS, the guitar SCORCHES and the vocals are CRYSTAL CLEAR... The people whom I have played this CD for, in my PP with my upgraded speakers, get this big smile on their faces and shake their heads in amazement!
Thanks Steve! Agree on the personal taste aspect. Any recommendations are helpful, and could help broaden the spectrum for some of us.

#13 ·
Sad as it may be, I overlooked them on purpose, being the best sounding Big Band has zero interest to me, I do delve a bit into Classical music however...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.