Honda Passport Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Once again I'll be the spoiler. Using the econ button doesn't kill any horsepower, it simply restricts its availability with a more relaxed power release - while also cutting back on other power consuming uses (AC). Mash the go pedal hard and it'll still giddy-up.

Drive with it a day and you'll soon be accustomed to its dynamics.
I've tried that a couple of times, each time using the Econ for a couple of days. I couldn't get over the feeling it was more sluggish than it should be. Then when turning off the Econ mode it felt more like I thought it should and more like I expected the vehicle to perform.
My brother had a 2017 Ridgeline which he always ran in Econ mode and he thought it was fine, even in Seattle freeway traffic where he lives. A couple of months ago he traded it in for a 2020 Pilot. I'll have to ask him if he's also running the Pilot in Econ mode.

Reactions: Gray_Beard

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
My current PP is the third Honda where I've chosen to use the Econ mode. The first day of use they do seem (to me) to be sluggish - but then I adapt to them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm old enough (and retired) to actually have welcomed it once I realized that it was the Econ mode that made for my non-jackrabbit starts. Sorta reminds me to Take It Easy, You're In No Hurry To Get Anywhere Anymore!

·
Registered
156 Posts
i can't handle econ, most times i am in sport mode

Reactions: Powdertrax

·
Registered
156 Posts
ok sure S mode, but it shifts for you press D twice makes it
drive much better imo.
the down shifts are wonky but they are in any mode with this tranny

·
Registered
156 Posts
better yet press D twice then put it in sand mode.
gets off line good then lots of rear wheel bias
and no pesky traction control

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
The "S" standing for Sport is something others, such as Road & Track have referred to as well. I seem to recall some of the early videos (perhaps the Moab ones) also referred to the "S" as Sport. It also could have been called the Power mode, except "P" was already taken (Park).

From R&T: "That's paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission which is at its best when you put it in Sport mode, sacrificing fuel economy to stay in lower gears for quicker response. You also get paddle shifters, but I didn't really bother with them."

Link: Five Things Enthusiasts Might Like About the 2019 Honda Passport

Reactions: P-A-N-D-A

·
Registered
37 Posts
ON my 2020 I have burned a full tank on Econ and a full tank on regular Drive
I experienced better MPG on Regular Drive --?
I think I tend to have to accelerate a bit more in Econ to get it going.
Mixed use driving city/highway but mostly stop & go at 45MPH
I will use Regular driving mode and not worry about it --
EX-L AWD (does AWD change the equation?)

·
Registered
124 Posts
ON my 2020 I have burned a full tank on Econ and a full tank on regular Drive
I experienced better MPG on Regular Drive --?
I think I tend to have to accelerate a bit more in Econ to get it going.
Mixed use driving city/highway but mostly stop & go at 45MPH
I will use Regular driving mode and not worry about it --
EX-L AWD (does AWD change the equation?)
After one year and 16k miles of driving my passy, ive learned that ECON is great for those long highway stretches and NOTHING more lol.

·
Registered
883 Posts
So I did an experiment yesterday evening. Had to make a run to the Orlando airport and back. Each way was about 35 miles, 30 on the freeway.

On the drive down, in D with cruise control set at 72, I was able to get 24.5 mpg. I'm impressed.

On the drive back, in D but with Econ pressed and cruise control at 72, I was able to only get 23.2 mpg.

I guess Econ isn't for freeway cruise control driving.

shrug

(Odometer = 500 miles.)
I'm not surprised to hear that the econ button does not improve gas mileage.

Its just another box Honda checked off to appease the EPA.

My Wife was pushing the Econ button in the CRV and complaining about how gutless it was.
I told her it was bad for the engine and she never pushed it again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
thats why I miss my last Si
only button it had was vsa

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished my third round trip to Arizona (3200+ miles each). This time I decided to use the "Econ" mode. Over the whole trip, the fuel economy increased by about 3 MPG.
I did take this picture but it is a bit misleading. It was taken at the bottom of a 4000 ft. loss in elevation that covered 40 miles.

·
Registered
2021 MSM Honda Passport Touring AWD
49 Posts
I just finished my third round trip to Arizona (3200+ miles each). This time I decided to use the "Econ" mode. Over the whole trip, the fuel economy increased by about 3 MPG.
I did take this picture but it is a bit misleading. It was taken at the bottom of a 4000 ft. loss in elevation that covered 40 miles. View attachment 11370
Always wondered what it would do…probably much more useful on long journeys such as yours.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I’m happy with eco on mine. Just turned 1k miles and average is 23.8. The dash meter lines up closely with hand calc so I don’t bother figuring anymore.
I’m approximately 65-70 percent city, rest highway.
My trip to work is normally 23 mpg but when I baby it have milked it for 28

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
161 Posts
I have not seen a major jump in fuel economy driving in Econ mode, in fact I almost always end up getting better fuel economy with Econ mode OFF. I really only prefer using Econ mode during low speed driving so to prevent the transmission from clunking between gears at lower speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did find that the Econ mode was better for sustained highway driving. With stop and go driving, the lack of acceleration is alarming.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I personally love the ECON mode as I have found a situation where it is an excellent tool. I am helping a neighbor girl learn to drive.

In Econ mode there is no way she can screw up and accelerate across the vast expanse of parking lot that I have been working with her in. She has quickly learned to gently apply pressure to the gas peddle making for smooth starts. Her stoping still needs work. She's not bad, but she hasn't learned yet to lift off the brake slightly that instant before the vehicle ceases movement.

She has now transitioned to the standard mode quite nicely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sold on the ECON button except as an effective way to get tatered by a semi-truck trying to cross the highway. It literally demasculates what is otherwise a fun and powerful vehicle to drive. I have experimented with it briefly and hated how it changed the driving experience. I love my Passport and a big part of that is the thumping motor. I will gladly pay an extra two bucks when I fill it up.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am not sold on the ECON button except as an effective way to get tatered by a semi-truck trying to cross the highway. It literally demasculates what is otherwise a fun and powerful vehicle to drive. I have experimented with it briefly and hated how it changed the driving experience. I love my Passport and a big part of that is the thumping motor. I will gladly pay an extra two bucks when I fill it up.....
same. I got my 19 the month they came out and have literally never pressed the button. I’ve forgotten it existed. Until today.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts