Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I had my passport for almost 2 months now and I have an issue and not sure if anyone else can relate. The car will make a squeaking noise coming from the cargo area in the back (while driving). I don’t think it is the 2nd row seating. I’ve checked everywhere behind the trunk near the spare tires and could not find what is causing the noise. It looks like it is coming from inside the vehicle. When there is moisture on the car the noise is not there. This issue occurs only when the vehicle is in motion and has no moisture. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello All,

I had my passport for almost 2 months now and I have an issue and not sure if anyone else can relate. The car will make a squeaking noise coming from the cargo area in the back (while driving). I don’t think it is the 2nd row seating. I’ve checked everywhere behind the trunk near the spare tires and could not find what is causing the noise. It looks like it is coming from inside the vehicle. When there is moisture on the car the noise is not there. This issue occurs only when the vehicle is in motion and has no moisture. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Did you check that the spare tire is tight? I had to get a tire changed and they didn’t tighten the spare tire and I had a horrible squeaking back there till I retightened it. Just a thought

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check that the spare tire is tight? I had to get a tire changed and they didn’t tighten the spare tire and I had a horrible squeaking back there till I retightened it. Just a thought
The spare tire is securely tight as I never touch it since I got it. Thanks for the suggestion. I do want to point out the squeaking noise sounds like I have a case of water in the trunk rubbing against each other. When there is no water/moisture on the vehicle the noise is not there. It only makes the noise when the vehicle is dry. A friend of mine actually sat in the trunk when the car is in motion and he thinks the noise is from the passenger side in the back of the trunk. When he applied pressure on the right side of (inside) the trunk the sound stopped. Do you think there is something wrong with the trunk door inside?

Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just to eliminate the possibility I would take the spare out. The spare sits on that foam/rubbery material and that material could be rubbing against something because if it is that will make a terrible squeaking sound.

And that’s located in the exact area you mention so if someone puts weight on that area it’s going to hold the tire and the foam
In place, which would be why the noise stopped when the person was back there

·
Registered
121 Posts
The spare tire is securely tight as I never touch it since I got it. Thanks for the suggestion. I do want to point out the squeaking noise sounds like I have a case of water in the trunk rubbing against each other. When there is no water/moisture on the vehicle the noise is not there. It only makes the noise when the vehicle is dry. A friend of mine actually sat in the trunk when the car is in motion and he thinks the noise is from the passenger side in the back of the trunk. When he applied pressure on the right side of (inside) the trunk the sound stopped. Do you think there is something wrong with the trunk door inside?

Thanks!
I hope you find it. There is nothing more annoying than a squeak/rattle. That is exactly what my loose spare tire sounded like cases of water. I sat in the back and had someone drive so I could listen? weird that moisture is effecting the noise?. Did he put pressure on the floor to get it to stop? If not maybe it’s loose back panel. Could be the gas funnel or something else is not secure in the cargo bin area?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,904 Posts
I have a creeky backseat, when I go from a stop to a go. It drives me nuts! ?
If I push on the seat, either side I can hear the creek. I’ve sprayed lubricant underneath where all the bolts, brackets, frames, etc are. Pushed and pulled, put the seat down and up dozens of times. Nothing helps. And I won’t be going to the dealer unless something goes bad or the clunk gets much worse!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently have a squeaking noise from the cargo area. Very annoying because once it starts you can't not hear it.

I checked around the hatch and under the cargo floor. What I found is that a corner of the panel on the door had come loose. I pushed on it and it did snap back into position but then I could easily unsnap it again with light pressure. I haven't driven it since so I'm not sure if that was the cause. Will try to report back after next drive.

Still, the panel snapping out of position so easily is a quality concern.

·
Registered
2020 Passport EX-L
116 Posts
I recently developed a squeak in the cargo area as well. I thought to check the spare even though I've never used it and it was actually turned out to be pretty loose. I'll have to see if it comes back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anything resolved their squeak? I have the exact issue as the OP. It only does it when it's dry. If it was sitting outside overnight (like at the dealer...before troubleshooting...:mad:) or raining out, I do not hear it. Getting ready to ditch Honda for good but thought I would try one last-ditch effort...

·
Registered
28 Posts
This might sound crazy but make sure your license plate is bolted down on all 4 holes… I replaced my wife plate frame and it started to make a noise and found out it was the frame itself!
Thanks. I will check it out. I doubt that's it because my sound is definitely coming from inside the vehicle. Also, I'm sure that plate issue would be making a noise all of the time. This sound is moisture dependent and only occurs when the vehicle is bone dry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks. I will check it out. I doubt that's it because my sound is definitely coming from inside the vehicle. Also, I'm sure that plate issue would be making a noise all of the time. This sound is moisture dependent and only occurs when the vehicle is bone dry.
This might sound crazy but make sure your license plate is bolted down on all 4 holes… I replaced my wife plate frame and it started to make a noise and found out it was the frame itself!
Sleepy... Checked it out and all four spots of the plate are mounted securely. It definitely wasn't coming from outside the vehicle. That probably is a faint sound as well. Anyway, it was worth checking out. It was really dry today and it's squeakin and squawking at every sharp bump and sudden movement from fully stationary.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sleepy... Checked it out and all four spots of the plate are mounted securely. It definitely wasn't coming from outside the vehicle. That probably is a faint sound as well. Anyway, it was worth checking out. It was really dry today and it's squeakin and squawking at every sharp bump and sudden movement from fully stationary.
Have you checked the spare tire to make sure it's completely tight & everything around it is secure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you checked the spare tire to make sure it's completely tight & everything around it is secure?
Oh yeah... Probably the first thing I checked. In fact, I thought it was the tire changing kit under the tire that was made of STYROFOAM... Perfect squeak source. But, I took that out, the tire out completely AND folded the cargo cover over onto the folded down back seats. I also took out the cargo tray... It was completely bare in the cargo area. Went for a ride... Squeak, squeak, squeak... Very embarrassing. Always wanted a Honda but this will not help keep me a customer.

I was hoping the OP would reply if he found a solution. It's EXACTLY what I'm experiencing. It's a moisture dependent issue. Happens when it's dry. Anyway, I'm thinking he got rid of his and is no longer active on this forum. I'm about to join him...;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I know I'm a bit late to this post but has anyone found the problem on this noise..? Turns out I have the same squeak and Honda techs can't seem to pin point the source. They've checked every bolt to make sure non are loose. And guess what, noise still there. its driving crazy and it is crazy my PP is a 22 Trailspoprt that squeaks . Taking it back this week for a second time and hope they can find something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello, I know I'm a bit late to this post but has anyone found the problem on this noise..? Turns out I have the same squeak and Honda techs can't seem to pin point the source. They've checked every bolt to make sure non are loose. And guess what, noise still there. its driving crazy and it is crazy my PP is a 22 Trailspoprt that squeaks . Taking it back this week for a second time and hope they can find something.
Kriz,

Sorry for your issue but I was actually hoping that a 22 owner would respond. The 22 version is mostly a cosmetic change and these common PP issues should still be occurring.

Anyway, no other owners including the OP that had this issue have responded. I'm assuming they got rid of their PP or are just dealing with it. There is another similar squeak/creak that occurs from the front that someone resolved in another thread, but unrelated to this (Creaking Noise).

Please...PLEASE!!!...if you find resolution after taking it back again, could you reply to this thread? It would be greatly appreciated. My dealer won't do anything until "it gets worse". It may help if I can pinpoint the source since they obviously can't.

FYI, a local Honda mechanic told me it could be coming from the tailgate. I noticed some posts on the PIlot forum related to the tailgate latch. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. Tired of it though...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kriz,

Sorry for your issue but I was actually hoping that a 22 owner would respond. The 22 version is mostly a cosmetic change and these common PP issues should still be occurring.

Anyway, no other owners including the OP that had this issue have responded. I'm assuming they got rid of their PP or are just dealing with it. There is another similar squeak/creak that occurs from the front that someone resolved in another thread, but unrelated to this (Creaking Noise).

Please...PLEASE!!!...if you find resolution after taking it back again, could you reply to this thread? It would be greatly appreciated. My dealer won't do anything until "it gets worse". It may help if I can pinpoint the source since they obviously can't.

FYI, a local Honda mechanic told me it could be coming from the tailgate. I noticed some posts on the PIlot forum related to the tailgate latch. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. Tired of it though...
My PP Trailsport has only 7 month and the Squeak noise sounds like it come from the outside even though you can hear it from the inside. It's annoying specially when you're driving and people turn around to hear your car squeak .
I will let you guys know what I find. Honda can keep my car until the resolve this issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My PP Trailsport has only 7 month and the Squeak noise sounds like it come from the outside even though you can hear it from the inside. It's annoying specially when you're driving and people turn around to hear your car squeak .
I will let you guys know what I find. Honda can keep my car until the resolve this issue.
Kriz,

Yes, it's definitely comes from somewhere that has access to outside air which is why it quiets down when moisture is present (raining, left outside overnight, etc). The thought is the area is being "lubricated" at that point. Then, when it dries out, squeak... squeak... squeak...

Anyway, hopefully your dealer can figure it out. Please let me know if they find the source.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm actually at the dealership in regards to this same issue. Even over the smallest bumps I'll hear squeaking noises from the rear. Literally non stop squeaking when driving on the freeway. Almost like crickets chirping. I have a '21 EX-L FWD. With 19k miles. And of course it's pouring down raining here today after months of no rain.
I doubt they'll pinpoint the issue. I guess I should have checked the spare tire area before dropping the car off

1 - 20 of 31 Posts