Honda Passport Forum banner

Spontaneous Exploding Sunroof?

12684 Views 30 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Ms.fortunecookie
A momento from our recent road trip...

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part Sunroof

The dreaded "exploding sunroof"? It was like driving in a wind tunnel on the entire return trip. Sunroof has been replaced and cost covered by my vehicle's glass insurance. I will be applying a protective film for some added protection or hold the shattered glass in place.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Wow, that would be scary if you were boogieing along on the highway.
The sunroof in my 2013 Accord exploded when the car was fairly new. Dealer said it wasn’t covered. I said BS and made a stink. All of a sudden it was covered. Google it - it happens more then you’d think.
Wow! That is so dangerous!
Was anyone hurt?

And I hope it wasn’t raining or snowing where you were?

Did you have any kind of aftermarket window tint on it?
I have heard if the right tint is not put on the sunroof, it can shatter.
Wow, that would be scary if you were boogieing along on the highway.
Oh yes, we were boogieing along a secondary road in winter weather conditions! Startling when it occurred and thought it was just ice that may have fallen on the roof (praying that there were no dents). Decided to peak behind the sunroof cover awhile later... :eek:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

The sunroof in my 2013 Accord exploded when the car was fairly new. Dealer said it wasn’t covered. I said BS and made a stink. All of a sudden it was covered. Google it - it happens more then you’d think.
Yes. I thought there was a previous thread on a shattered sunroof, but could not find it. Full glass insurance coverage has paid for itself... windshield replacement on the previous trip.

Wow! That is so dangerous!
Was anyone hurt?

And I hope it wasn’t raining or snowing where you were?

Did you have any kind of aftermarket window tint on it?
I have heard if the right tint is not put on the sunroof, it can shatter.
No injuries as the interior cover prevented anything falling in. Snowed most of that day and a few of the other day on the trip, but driving at a decent speed keeps the snow out (vacuum / suction effect). No tint on the sunroof, but the film that I will be installing should make make it more durable.
See less See more
I didn’t mention that when mine blew, about 70% went out and 30% came inside of the Accord. Unfortunatel, the junk that went out scratched the crap out of the roof and trunk of my coupe. I considered repainting these areas but I sold it instead.
I didn’t mention that when mine blew, about 70% went out and 30% came inside of the Accord. Unfortunatel, the junk that went out scratched the crap out of the roof and trunk of my coupe. I considered repainting these areas but I sold it instead.
Yes, most of the glass blew out. I stopped at the first opportunity that I could at a car wash (it was a long while) to vacuum any remaining shards. I have not had an opportunity to wash and inspect for any scratches.
Oh yes, we were boogieing along a secondary road in winter weather conditions! Startling when it occurred and thought it was just ice that may have fallen on the roof (praying that there were no dents). Decided to peak behind the sunroof cover awhile later... :eek:

View attachment 4540

Yes. I thought there was a previous thread on a shattered sunroof, but could not find it. Full glass insurance coverage has paid for itself... windshield replacement on the previous trip.

No injuries as the interior cover prevented anything falling in. Snowed most of that day and a few of the other day on the trip, but driving at a decent speed keeps the snow out (vacuum / suction effect). No tint on the sunroof, but the film that I will be installing should make make it more durable.
Jeez...you were really fortunate no one got hurt or even just some glass in them!
Reactions: 1
Are there any known conditions - extreme cold or hot etc that cause this to happen? Seems every new vehicle I get has a sunroof and I never use it. Now I worry that it is a liability.
Are there any known conditions - extreme cold or hot etc that cause this to happen? Seems every new vehicle I get has a sunroof and I never use it. Now I worry that it is a liability.
Read the Consumer Reports article linked in the first post. Occurrence is low, but increasing. In my case, I was driving in winter weather conditions, but don't know if there is a correlation. Just keep the sunroof cover closed, if not using. I rarely use the sunroof, unless it is a hot day and I tilt it to vent the cabin while parked. If you are really worried, a protective film will keep the pieces of glass in place.
iClick - This is the first I heard about the sunroof exploding for no reason. So it seems random enough like ”the clunk” club. I’ve heard of the wrong kind of tint being put on them and they can crack in extreme heat and cold. And I’ve had a sun roof in all 5 of my Honda’s and never had an issue with cracking, exploding or leaking.
BTW, the shop that replaced my sunroof said that he has seen an usual increase with sunroof replacement. Not necessarily specific to a Honda or a Passport.
Just glad to hear no one got hurt. Where I work we deal with blast and ballistic rated windows for biuldings, spall shield is a film we use on the interior layer to containe any shards or fragments during an event.
Thanks for the info. I’ve got aftermarket ceramic tint on all my windows, including a clear UV protection on the front and what’s required on the sunroof. But I’m checking with my brother and SIL on their VW Tijuana (that’s what I call it), I want to make sure they have tint on it as my two little nephews ride in the backseat.
What makes a sunroof explode and none of the other windows in a car explode? What's the cause? Glass too thin? What's the solution? I thought all automotive glass had to be shatterproof. Why not the sunroof glass? Ken in PA
What makes a sunroof explode and none of the other windows in a car explode? What's the cause? Glass too thin? What's the solution? I thought all automotive glass had to be shatterproof. Why not the sunroof glass? Ken in PA
It is tempered glass (breaks into small pieces versus shards), but not laminated glass (like the front windshield). The sunroof may have been damaged and the stress finally broke it? Side windows are not laminated glass.

There are glass films (anti-graffiti film) that can be applied to hold the glass in place should it shatter.
It is tempered glass (breaks into small pieces versus shards), but not laminated glass (like the front windshield). The sunroof may have been damaged and the stress finally broke it? Side windows are not laminated glass.

There are glass films (anti-graffiti film) that can be applied to hold the glass in place should it shatter.
A good analysis DudeCS on the various glass types on our PP. I appreciate the fragmentation properties of shattering into small shards to reduce passenger injury, but is there a glass that doesn't shatter spontaneously? It's this spontaneously shattering aspect that mystifies me. We only have a small sunroof, how about vehicles with the much longer/larger sunroofs? What's causing it? Sorry for going on so long . . . . . Ken in PA
It's this spontaneously shattering aspect that mystifies me. We only have a small sunroof, how about vehicles with the much longer/larger sunroofs? What's causing it? Sorry for going on so long . . . . . Ken in PA
See the article (link in the first post... i.e., "exploding sunroof"). It is a rare occurrence, but happening more frequently?
See the article (link in the first post... i.e., "exploding sunroof"). It is a rare occurrence, but happening more frequently?
It's the sudden shattering without cause, if I'm saying that correctly, that concerns me. Its causes need to be identified and appropriate materials used. Armored glass, aircraft glass? Just a thought.
I had a Ford C-Max which had a non opening pano glass roof. It took up about 2/3 at least of the roof space. I was washing the car the first week I had it and noticed a very slight crack when looking a certain way in the light. I made an appointment with Ford and took it in two days later. The crack continued to grow several more inches but there was absolutely no chip indicating it had been hit with anything. The car had just under 200 miles on it when I found it.

Ford dealer and then a Ford factory engineer looked at it and found no damage that could have caused the crack. They agreed it was either damage from when the glass was molded, or was a stress crack. They replaced the glass under warranty and I didn't have any further problems. They said it could have "imploded" eventually and the crack was very easy to miss unless viewed at just the right angle.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.