Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
'22 Sonic Gray Pearl Trailsport
70 Posts
In my experience when you run an odd sized tire the AWD will throw a code. The spare is only to get you to somewhere that can get you back to normal so the spare is strictly short term no matter what you're running. I carry a $5 plug kit from Harbor Freight. it's quicker to plug then it is to change it.

· Registered
920 Posts
In my experience when you run an odd sized tire the AWD will throw a code. The spare is only to get you to somewhere that can get you back to normal so the spare is strictly short term no matter what you're running. I carry a $5 plug kit from Harbor Freight. it's quicker to plug then it is to change it.
Short distance is not that big of a problem. However it’s recommended to have space saving spare on the front axle in the case of the Passport so you are not wearing out the clutch packs in the rear prematurely.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
229 Posts
Question: is the spare the same for every PP trim? I have the elite but put on TS wheels+tires. Since there is a (pretty much) negligible difference between the Elite OEM radius and TS OEM radius, I'm hoping the spare radius is enough.

I am in the lookout for a 5th OEM TS rim+tire that we can take for long trips.

· Registered
920 Posts
Question: is the spare the same for every PP trim? I have the elite but put on TS wheels+tires. Since there is a (pretty much) negligible difference between the Elite OEM radius and TS OEM radius, I'm hoping the spare radius is enough.

I am in the lookout for a 5th OEM TS rim+tire that we can take for long trips.
The spare is the same on all PPs and it’s a smaller size than the normal wheels. This is why I suggest putting it in the front for longer drives.

· Registered
177 Posts
With two different sized tires on the same axillary the differential carrier gears will be spinning constantly as opposed to only when going around a corner. That's why you want to keep your speeds low and not travel any further than necessary on the temporary spair.

· Registered
2022 PP Elite AWD
229 Posts
With two different sized tires on the same axillary the differential carrier gears will be spinning constantly as opposed to only when going around a corner. That's why you want to keep your speeds low and not travel any further than necessary on the temporary spair.
I guess this applies to any spare tire, even if the spare tire is the exact same specs, as the tread life of the spare is different from the 3 other wheels?

Another question is premature tire replacement. Example:
I removed my OEM 20s at 800 miles. I just found that one of them has a screw and the location is one that shouldnt be repaired (outboard tread). So if a new tire is purchased, how bad does 3 800 mile tires vs the new tire?

· Registered
920 Posts
I guess this applies to any spare tire, even if the spare tire is the exact same specs, as the tread life of the spare is different from the 3 other wheels?

I removed my OEM 20s at 800 miles. I just found that one of them has a screw and the location is one that shouldnt be repaired (outboard tread). So if a new tire is purchased, how bad does 3 800 mile tires vs the new tire?
800 mile is not that big of a deal. Most AWD system will tolerate 1/32 of an inch difference in tread depth.
If you want the new tire to be worn quickly matching the rest just stick it on the front passenger side. For more than 1 tire rotation or so.

· Registered
923 Posts

Not necessarily, if the spare is a full sized spare then it is best to keep the spare in the rotation so they all wear evenly.

Mileage doesn't mean much when replacing a tire. When replacing a tire the tread depth of the good tires is what it important. As a rule you don't want any more than 1/32nd - 2//32nds difference between the old tires and the new tire. This is especially important for AWD & 4WD vehicles. For AWD and 4WD vehicles it is best to replace all 4 tires or 5 tires if you have a full size spare.

It is also recommended that the replacement tire be the same brand, model and size tire as what is currently on the vehicle if you are replacing only one tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts