Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the small snap on cover on the upper left part of the center console is covering? It looks like the old shift lock(?) release that you would put your key into on the Accord if it wasn't running. I realize that's not the case with this transmission, since there's a special tool for this purpose now. This Passport was transferred from a sister dealership 60 miles away and only had 70 miles on it at purchase, so very few test drives. The cap they had jammed partially into it seems like it's from another vehicle and doesn't fit correctly edit: it does look to be the correct part from another photo of someones console in a different thread, it doesn't fit flush and sticks out about 1/4". No idea why someone would mess with this. Pics attached.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
there was a conspiracy theory discussion a while back, but no one took it any further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there was a conspiracy theory discussion a while back, but no one took it any further.

Thanks for the link. Guess I didn't search well enough and others also seem to have a loose/missing cover. What's odd is mine is a bit mangled like someone was messing with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
No worries. I just remembered being a part of the conversation.
I bet he previous owner was determined to find out what it was...only to find nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries. I just remembered being a part of the conversation.
I bet he previous owner was determined to find out what it was...only to find nothing.
It's brand new with 10 miles on it before being transferred 60 miles to a local dealer. Very odd.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
It's brand new with 10 miles on it before being transferred 60 miles to a local dealer. Very odd.
Odd...But that’s enough time for someone to get curious!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s exactly what it is; a park lock release slot, just not for our Passports. Remember this is basically a Pilot interior, and, the Pilot comes with the 6-speed auto on other trim levels. The 6-speed auto has the mechanical gear shift lever which utilizes that slot for the park lock release.

Does anyone know what the small snap on cover on the upper left part of the center console is covering? It looks like the old shift lock(?) release that you would put your key into on the Accord if it wasn't running. I realize that's not the case with this transmission, since there's a special tool for this purpose now. This Passport was transferred from a sister dealership 60 miles away and only had 70 miles on it at purchase, so very few test drives. The cap they had jammed partially into it seems like it's from another vehicle and doesn't fit correctly edit: it does look to be the correct part from another photo of someones console in a different thread, it doesn't fit flush and sticks out about 1/4". No idea why someone would mess with this. Pics attached.
View attachment 6818 View attachment 6819 View attachment 6820

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s exactly what it is; a park lock release slot, just not for our Passports. Remember this is basically a Pilot interior, and, the Pilot comes with the 6-speed auto on other trim levels. The 6-speed auto has the mechanical gear shift lever which utilizes that slot for the park lock release.
That would make sense. I guess if the cap won't stay in I'll just put a small piece of black tape over it and move on. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ha ha. Yea, nothing to really worry about

1 - 9 of 9 Posts