Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of the few people that truly hate shiny black wheels, so I decided to try my hand at Plasti Dip. While the process was frustrating, I can't even begin to explain how much happier I am with the look. If and when the Plasti Dip wears off I will probably go the powder coating route in exactly the same color.

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.12.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.13.01 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.13.33 PM.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Love it. What colour of plastidip was it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anthracite Grey. Decided to try a wheel kit from dipyourcar.com. I wasn't sold on the color after looking at the online pics, but when the first couple coats were down I loved the look.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks sick! I did a lot of Plasti-Dip stuff on my Tundra. It’s held up well for the past 4 years or so.

I’m thinking about getting the exhaust tips powder coated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Anthracite Grey. Decided to try a wheel kit from dipyourcar.com. I wasn't sold on the color after looking at the online pics, but when the first couple coats were down I loved the look.
Sweet, thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good. I've been curious about people's experiences with Plastidip since a few DipYouCar videos came across my YouTube recs a few weeks back.

·
Super Moderator
2,307 Posts
I really like it better than the black as well, looks great, can you describe the application process you used?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the same process shown on the dipyourcar.com videos. The first coat was a light base coat to give future coats the ability to adhere to. After the second coat, you can apply the coats much thicker to create a smooth application instead of a textured one. I highly advise using a spray trigger because it makes the application process MUCH easier. I actually removed the wheels to do this, and masked off the insides to prevent the inside of the wheel from being coated with dip:
Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 6.35.56 AM.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks great!

In your first post you said "the process was frustrating". What made it so?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part of the issue was the waiting for coats to dry, while the other part was my own negligence. After the third coat I ended up hitting the bottom edge of the can into one of the 5 spokes on the wheel creating a divot. I was able to mostly flatten it out and spray over it, but since I know where it is it catches my eye. You have to really be looking for it to actually see it, but it still annoys me. The smell of this stuff was horrible as well, and since it was so windy outside that day I had to spray in a closed garage. Even though the garage was closed I still ended up with a couple specks in the finish...

·
Registered
162 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts