Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have approached this issue and I’m not about to pay $ 50 or $250 for it... but upon further examination on the ZF tranny, it’s just a square peg on top of the tranny, I’m going to try some ratchet extension, 1/4-3/8-1/2 reverse it and see if it fits, cause you’ll still need the extension because it’s pretty down there...... and if it does, that’s a whole lot cheaper for an extension at harbour freight.....
Will report back.....
.....$50. I could handle! But $100/200 is just a freakin' rip off! Shame on Honda! Any machinists out there up for making some of these and under-cutting THE COMPANY?

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
Again I'm the nay-sayer ...
the sky is not falling, don't worry, be happy.

It's the towing companies responsibiliy to tow you safely - IF you break down under any conditions.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
429 Posts
Maybe they’re not standard equipment because Honda doesn’t want anyone who doesn’t know what they’re doing shifting their Passport into Neutral while they’re not in the car. Since they’re not standard equipment, Honda probably doesn’t make many of them, and that’s why they’re so expensive. Or, maybe Honda makes them expensive so not many people will buy them because they don’t want people who don’t know what they’re doing shifting their Passport into Neutral while they’re not in the car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
Maybe they’re not standard equipment because Honda doesn’t want anyone who doesn’t know what they’re doing shifting their Passport into Neutral while they’re not in the car. Since they’re not standard equipment, Honda probably doesn’t make many of them, and that’s why they’re so expensive. Or, maybe Honda makes them expensive so not many people will buy them because they don’t want people who don’t know what they’re doing shifting their Passport into Neutral while they’re not in the car.
Honda actually provided the documentation in case an owner gets stuck, and how to use the lock release tool.

I trust no one with a tow truck or flatbed. Typically, they are not mechanics, and would more than likely damage your transmission. They generally remind me of the TV commercial with the big strong guy saying “I pick things up and I put things down”. That’s the extent of they’re expertise. Sure, if they break it, they’ll be responsible. But, do you want a messed up trans and be without your PP for several days while it’s fixed? Think of the risk/reward when deciding.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Honda actually provided the documentation in case an owner gets stuck, and how to use the lock release tool.

I trust no one with a tow truck or flatbed. Typically, they are not mechanics, and would more than likely damage your transmission. They generally remind me of the TV commercial with the big strong guy saying “I pick things up and I put things down”. That’s the extent of they’re expertise. Sure, if they break it, they’ll be responsible. But, do you want a messed up trans and be without your PP for several days while it’s fixed? Think of the risk/reward when deciding.
Now I don't know for sure but it says you have to use three extensions and a 3/8 ratchet and the tool? really ? you need a tool box in your car just incase you have to be towed?

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
When was the last time you needed a tow truck? For that matter when was the last time you even had a flat tire traveling down the highway?
With cell phone in hand I'll take my chances.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Now I don't know for sure but it says you have to use three extensions and a 3/8 ratchet and the tool? really ? you need a tool box in your car just incase you have to be towed?
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $13 ratchet, an 18” socket extension, and a clearance set of metric sockets that was missing one socket for $5. I think the tool requires a 14mm socket, but will check this weekend. Doesn’t take up much space at all in the storage bin. Wrap them in a towel or canvas tool wrap to keep from rattling around. Honda should include the tool for free. But since they don’t, I don’t my spending the money for peace of mind. I don’t need a part time pizza delivery guy/tow truck driver messing up my transmission.

Like I said, I’d rather be safe than sorry. That’s just me. Plan for the worst, because that’s how my luck usually runs.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
When was the last time you needed a tow truck? For that matter when was the last time you even had a flat tire traveling down the highway?

Now you jinxed yourself! 🙂

·
Registered
153 Posts

I had a flat when I ran over a bolt and it ruined the tire and wheel on my CRV but I had a full-size spare I put in, so it paid off. Cell phones don't work every where then what? Be prepared is better than what if reasoning

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet that most tow trucks carry only 2 wheel dollies. If the front end is accessible with a normal tow truck boom the rear tires can be rolled via the wheel dollies. The problem could arise if your passport is blocked in by another car or parked in an area where it would need to be winched out. I have taken my previous vehicles in some really remote locations (on climbing trips) that require 4 wheel drive or AWD to access. If a flat bed tow is called I would suggest to the tow company to make sure they have 4 wheel dollies for my AWD PP. We all drive Honda's and as we know they are extremly reliable. My Honda Element has never left me stranded in 13 year of ownership, knock on wood. Even my starter motor gave me an indication that it was on its last days, with a slow crank to warn me before replacement. Most people don't keep their vehicles for 10 plus years, I do and plan on keeping both my Element and Passport for as long as I possibly can. I'm still interested in making a tool and will keep others on the forum updated with pictures when its done. Happy driving everyone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bet that most tow trucks carry only 2 wheel dollies. If the front end is accessible with a normal tow truck boom the rear tires can be rolled via the wheel dollies. The problem could arise if your passport is blocked in by another car or parked in an area where it would need to be winched out. I have taken my previous vehicles in some really remote locations (on climbing trips) that require 4 wheel drive or AWD to access. If a flat bed tow is called I would suggest to the tow company to make sure they have 4 wheel dollies for my AWD PP. We all drive Honda's and as we know they are extremly reliable. My Honda Element has never left me stranded in 13 year of ownership, knock on wood. Even my starter motor gave me an indication that it was on it last days, with a slow crank to warn me before replacement. Most people don't keep their vehicles for 10 plus years, I do and plan on keeping both my Element and Passport for as long as I possibly can. I'm still interested in making a tool and will keep others on the forum updated with pictures when its done. Happy driving everyone.
That all sounds good but like my New CRV had a battery issue and went dead parked. now what do you do? a19" extension ,ratchet and the tool or a Battery and jumpers..... Or a tow truck and two wheel dolly he can't get on. I think the smart money is a set of jumpers to power it up and put in neutral, if won't start.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That all sounds good but like my New CRV had a battery issue and went dead parked. now what do you do? a19" extension ,ratchet and the tool or a Battery and jumpers..... Or a tow truck and two wheel dolly he can't get on. I think the smart money is a set of jumpers to power it up and put in neutral, if won't start.
This issue is that 9 speed PP transmission will only shift into neutral with the engine running. It requires fluid pressure to release the park pin. Hence the problem. With the engine off it’s stuck in park. No way around it, except the manual release at the top of the transmission with the said tool. Also as a mechanic I'd like to roll my Passport if its in the shop, not starting it, or if its disabled for some repair reason. The tool is only handy for some.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
It all depends on how well prepared you want to be, and what your comfort level is with rolling the dice on a tow. To each his own.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What did you do to your hand?
Redoing my steps on the deck and screws wouldn't back out of the one's that weren't rusted off. so I was cutting the rise off the treads and the 41/2 grinder with a new cut off wheel slipped and got me in the hand behind my index finger, chunked a piece out.....

41 - 60 of 61 Posts