Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also have approached this issue and I’m not about to pay $ 50 or $250 for it... but upon further examination on the ZF tranny, it’s just a square peg on top of the tranny, I’m going to try some ratchet extension, 1/4-3/8-1/2 reverse it and see if it fits, cause you’ll still need the extension because it’s pretty down there...... and if it does, that’s a whole lot cheaper for an extension at harbour freight.....
Will report back.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have approached this issue and I’m not about to pay $ 50 or $250 for it... but upon further examination on the ZF tranny, it’s just a square peg on top of the tranny, I’m going to try some ratchet extension, 1/4-3/8-1/2 reverse it and see if it fits...... and if it does, that’s a whole lot cheaper for an extension at harbour freight.....
Will report back.....
Thats not going to work. You turn the shaft, it springs back when you let go. The adapter has a lock on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have Honda Care which presumably means a tow operator familiar with Honda vehicles and hence (possibly) the special shift-to-Neutral procedure. But only in a perfect world I guess, since Murphy's Law would dictate that the failure would be in an area where no such dealers or skilled tow operators are available!

:p

·
Registered
502 Posts
Like any roadside service, Honda Care probably simply calls a local tow service regardless of their "special experience" with Honda vehicles. I would hope most reputable tow companies know how to handle these situations.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
261 Posts
Received the tranny neutral adapter in the mail yesterday. It is a quality OEM tool and it's priced fair at $50. Slipped it in an old Crown Royal velvet bag I had and lives in my tool bag that I keep in the under floor storage (I hate to hear things rattle in the car). Hopefully I never need to use it, better to have and not need than need and not have!

·
Registered
70 Posts
OK, $50 on eBay vs $260 from Honda seems like a no brainer. I'll spring the $50 to have peace of mind I do have the tool should I need it.
What a bunch of Pirates!!!! Why? Why? No sense of morals whatsoever!! $200+ for a $50 part that cost a few dollars to make!!! For a $40000.+ vehicle it should be in the glove box FREE!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same here I got mine for $50 with free shipping. I'd agree that perhaps this forum generated enough hits to their site that they felt like they could jack up the price. It's insane that Honda is charging $260 for this.
Has anyone actually looked close at where it attaches, and what it turns down there? Wonder if someone could post a photo of the bottom of the tool. Maybe something "cheap" will work instead?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, I snagged one yesterday for $50 bucks, and today they've boosted the price to $150. Must have had a run on them and decided to see what the market would bear! Sorry pshadoa! This is the revised listing:

Not only that, mine was "free shipping" and the new listing has a $6 charge for that!
I tell you what, I'll give you $100 for your tool and you'll make like 50% profit 😂

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wouldn't a tow truck operator simply jack up the car and put those small wheels/tires they carry under the vehicle's tires to winch it up on a flat bed?

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
825 Posts
Wouldn't a tow truck operator simply jack up the car and put those small wheels/tires they carry under the vehicle's tires to winch it up on a flat bed?
For peace of mind, and avoid potential costly repairs, $100-150 is a small insurance policy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I built my own. It isn't beautiful and it's not ugly. $20 for a couple of pieces of steel, a 3/8" drill bit, and a jig saw blade, and a couple of nuts and bolts.
Too bad my Photobucket account isn't usable anymore, otherwise I'd post photos.
If I'm too cheap to buy an OEM tool, you know I won't pay Photobucket a ransom.

Reactions: P0nzy and Sendbeta

·
Registered
152 Posts
I built my own. It isn't beautiful and it's not ugly. $20 for a couple of pieces of steel, a 3/8" drill bit, and a jig saw blade, and a couple of nuts and bolts.
Too bad my Photobucket account isn't usable anymore, otherwise I'd post photos.
If I'm too cheap to buy an OEM tool, you know I won't pay Photobucket a ransom.
Me too, but I have a lathe and a milling machine and a welder. I will make one also......

·
Registered
428 Posts
It would be great to see what you made. You do not need Photobucket.
Just take pics with your phone and add them to your post from the phone memory. (Gallery on an Android). Use the paperclip icon at the bottom of the reply window to add the pics.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I plan on purchasing or making the tool. Kinda silly that Honda would design a transmission without an easy fail safe to allow a shift into neutral. I discovered this early on into my passport ownership. With my vehicle on jack stands I was attempting shift the transmission into neutral by holding the N button for two seconds. With engine turned off, it automatically switched back to Park. My plan was to wipe down the insides of my front rims and turning them at the same time. This obviously isn't possible without the stupid tool. Also I manage a large fleet of vehicles and we deal with a tow companies on a regular. I hate say it but majority of them would not have the tool nor how to use it. It gives me nightmares to think, tow companies would probably just drag your AWD Passport onto a flat bed if you had a no start condition, unrelated to a dead battery. Why Honda, why?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts