Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Members. My dad bought the 1st year of the 2nd generation back in 1998.
He passed away 2 years ago at age 86. He liked it being short with a 205 hp V6.
I almost bought a Highlander, but i was lucky to hear about the new Passport just in
time. With a much better AWD than Highlander, and no unnecessary 3rd row for me.
Soon I will get the 1st year of the 3rd generation in 2019. I will take it up to the same cabin
in Big bear Lake CA. I just wish he was here to see how great this Passport is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome to the forum brettp. Think you made the right call in holding off on the Highlander. This is looking to be Honda's most off road capable vehicle to date.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks A and S.
The dirt road to the cabin is wide, flat, and on a slight angle for water run off, and an incline up to about 20 degrees. So FWD needs momentum to make it only about half way with 4 to 6 inches of snow. So a good AWD system is needed to avoid using chains, to easily make it to the cabin. I watched the 2016 Pilot and Highlander on gold mine hill on the TFL. Big difference.
TFL does a good slip test on most AWD systems on level and incline surface. The Pilot Did great.
Now Shorter and 1.1 more ground clearance, with the improved 9 speed, looking forward to taking this Passport up through the snow with no need for chains. Like a Jeep, it would be foolish not to get AWD in a Passport.

·
Super Moderator
1,115 Posts
Yay Brett! Do you live down in the city? I'm in Garden Grove, and even though I do mostly city driving, I do head up to the Sierras many times from Apr to Oct. I'm liking what I'm seeing with the PP (PassPort) and hope to get a Touring AWD model in time for next Summer.
Cheers!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Steven. I used to live in West Garden Grove near Valley view. I live down in Lakewood now.
To cold to live up in Big bear the whole winter. I just retired from Northrop and want one car that can do it all. A comfortable car that has power, midsize, that can drive in snow without the hassle of chains.
I have a small trailer up there, so a factory trailer hitch with a reverse camera will be nice. So I won't need, or want the tall roof rails, black wheels, and black mirrors. so that leaves me with one choice.
EX-L AWD. Also will be driving up the many fire roads up there to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The first 2 generations of Passports were really Isuzu Rodeos. My dads on a rare occasion would have a rapid acceleration for no reason. One time the car was in neutral. The last time it happened, he was just leaving the cabin on a turn on the dirt road. He lost control and it plowed into a dirt hill causing the car to roll over. I saw it happen and seemed like time stopped. I could not believe what I was watching. One complete roll over and back on its wheels with my parents inside. No fire, I shut off the engine, and took them out slowly due to broken glass everywhere. Both treated at the hospital with cuts. I am glad that this happened at low speed in dirt, and not in traffic at a higher speed. Could have been much worse. He did have it for about 10 years.
Remember. This one won't be an Isuzu. It will be a Honda. Only the name is the same.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Steven. I used to live in West Garden Grove near Valley view. I live down in Lakewood now.
To cold to live up in Big bear the whole winter. I just retired from Northrop and want one car that can do it all. A comfortable car that has power, midsize, that can drive in snow without the hassle of chains.
I have a small trailer up there, so a factory trailer hitch with a reverse camera will be nice. So I won't need, or want the tall roof rails, black wheels, and black mirrors. so that leaves me with one choice.
EX-L AWD. Also will be driving up the many fire roads up there to.
I used to drive with chains in some northern areas that didn't get plowed much but realized that sometimes a good winter tire and the right dimensions can go a long way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be harder to find good snow tires for the Passports 45 and 50 series tires.
Also the chains might hit the 20" wheels, as compared to the Pilot's 60 series 18" wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I might jump ship here, hearing all the reviews and the recall issue that angers some for the delay of their new Passport. Pretty much a full MSRP price, (no discounts) with a 4 year old Pilot body that gets worse MPG. A left over Non Honda 9-speed, while the Odyssey gets the new Honda 10-speed.
It's sad that this new 3.5 Earth dreams engine still uses a timing belt, while the Older Highlander
has a timing Chain!!! Also the Toyota has the Port and DI for less carbon build up. I like the S mode
shift gate that shifts more like a conventional automatic that, up and down shifts to the selected gear.
The D4S with a smooth shifting 8-speed is a good combo with 20/27 mpg for LE plus AWD.
I guess I will continue using my cell phone, being the highlander is outdated. I will just lower the
2nd and 3rd rows, and use it more like a truck. I can order the Trailer Hitch from the factory and
it already has the ATF cooler, and nice console arm rest, and a shifter to put my hand on.
As some of our Passport members said, a lot of these unsold Passports will just sit on the lots for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts