Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here installed S-VCM to disable the Honda VCM?
Just curious, wondering if newer Hondas need to worry about this.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite (Modern Steel Metallic, Black Interior)
62 Posts
I think most Passport owners have opted for VCMTuner II.

·
Registered
166 Posts
IMO all this VCM stuff is folks buying into the Pilot lawsuit of the past and thinking the engines are the same as they were back then. A bunch of hogwash IMO. However, on some Hondas I find VCM operation noticeable and that may be a reason to defeat it. I really thought that Honda would end up killing the V6's (hence VCM too) but looks like the V6 and VCM is here stay as evidenced by the next gen MDX. In my Accord V6 in summer highway driving I can easily get between 35-40 mpg. In the winter, VCM causes a lot of rumble strip effect but no engine issues at 6.5 years and close to 80k. I probably won't have the car long enough to see an engine issue (as those who fear VCM warn) but meanwhile, the CVT failed on my wife's 15 CRV at 62k. I'd be more concerned about CVT then VCM. Turbo's I'd like to avoid if possible. Also, problems I think Honda has failed to solve over generations of some of its products are mushy brake pedals, and torque converters creating judder issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on the fence about getting one for our Passport. Our 2017 Accord is terrible without it - had it to the dealer several times when new complaining about the vibration - "everything is normal". Put the muzzler on and haven't had a problem since and didn't notice any change in mileage. I notice it ever so slightly on the Passport so not really a problem vibration wise. Will probably get one though, more to keep everything running like it should be. Its the same with the auto stop/start system - just don't need the extra wear and tear on the starter and battery (yes they're designed for it, but the fuel savings is negliable so why bother).

My 2 cents
TM

·
Registered
166 Posts
In my Ridgelne I hardly felt VCM, barely noticeable. I guess a scangauge would answer the question but I think in these heavy vehicles, VCM engages less often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts