Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the slim ones installed on my Lunar Silver Elite as I had boards on my traded in '12 Pilot. They don't help me getting in or out (5' 10") but my 5' 3" wife does. I do hope they deflect snow and ice and other solid objects this winter from hitting the painted surfaces.
sorry, what do u mean by the slim ones?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
sorry, what do u mean by the slim ones?
I think it’s the ones I’ve got. They are often called slimline black, in some places.
When I researched options, this was all they offered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks wrascle. They certainly look the part but at a price of 50% higher than the standard black boards, I dknt know if they’re worth it to me. After all, it is my wife’s car and she couldn’t care less either way.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
Thanks wrascle. They certainly look the part but at a price of 50% higher than the standard black boards, I dknt know if they’re worth it to me. After all, it is my wife’s car and she couldn’t care less either way.
What I found about the running boards is if you are in lots of snow/rainy climates the die cast is best.
For me, in So Cal where it rains a few times a year, the standard slimline black is good.

When you go to the dealer, they may not have them for your Passport and they need to be ordered. But you can look at the Ridgelines on the lot for an idea on looks, they are usually standard on them.

And if you are installing, look at prices on Amazon, especially Monday. They are much less than the dealer cost!

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
"What I found about the running boards is if you are in lots of snow/rainy climates the die cast is best."

I don't believe either board is better (or worse) regardless of the weather.
When dry they'll all offer a secure step and when wet they'll all offer a slippery step.
And if off-roading they'll all be subject to damage.

Buy/ install the boards that most appeal to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking of getting these for access to a soft cargo carrier we put on our suvs. Standing on the door sill makes you lean back uncomfortably getting to it, so I thought this would be better for access. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
309 Posts
"What I found about the running boards is if you are in lots of snow/rainy climates the die cast is best."

I don't believe either board is better (or worse) regardless of the weather.
When dry they'll all offer a secure step and when wet they'll all offer a slippery step.
The die cast, with the very sharp crinkle finish is definitely better than a smooth surface for anti-slip.
Just bump a bare skin shin into it and you will find out how sharp!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was thinking of getting these for access to a soft cargo carrier we put on our suvs. Standing on the door sill makes you lean back uncomfortably getting to it, so I thought this would be better for access. Any thoughts?
They will certainly help for that.
Maybe go to a dealer to try before buying if they have one on display - PP / Pilot / RL - should all give a good idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ugh, I still can’t decide on which boards I want. The cheaper ones are cheaper but don’t look as good. It’s Frau Blazins vehicle so I don’t want to throw too much money. I wish I hadn’t read they make your pants dirty or I would have already bought them. If anyone has a set of the cheaper ones they want to sell used, please PM me.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
450 Posts
I read all of the comments in this thread. I’m tall and don’t need them. I do rub my leg on them every time I get out of my car. However, my 67 year old mom has a lot of difficulty lifting her leg up and into my car. and the running boards help.

I really bought them on faith because none of the Passports or Pilots at the dealership had them and none of the pictures gave me much of an idea how wide they would be. I’m glad to report that there’s plenty of room for my size 11 foot.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Ugh, I still can’t decide on which boards I want. The cheaper ones are cheaper but don’t look as good. It’s Frau Blazins vehicle so I don’t want to throw too much money. I wish I hadn’t read they make your pants dirty or I would have already bought them. If anyone has a set of the cheaper ones they want to sell used, please PM me.
The Cast Iron ones are awesome, but yeah, thet are not cheap...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Those are the more affordable ones and you have the same white color as me! Man, there is quite a bit of room the huh? I think I’m going to buy them. My main reasons of getting them are my small kids, the looks, and the fact that I may not need a bucket to stand in to wash the roof. Every time a friend sees the truck for the first time the remark on how tall it is. I’m 6’0” and have zero chance of washing the roof without an overturned pail or step ladder.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts

Here's a novel idea ... ask Ms Blazin what she wants?
When momma's happy ....

41 - 60 of 77 Posts