Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I usually install Nerf Bars on my trucks/SUV's. They are aftermarket, less expensive and easy to install. Not sure AutoAnything or others have them for the Passport yet? I'll wait to do those once they're available or may just leave them off. I found they did catch my shoe heal when exiting a Passport I test drove that had them. Have to be aware of them at first I guess. It does look good on this auto.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah I was kinda wondering about waiting for nerf bars also.. I couldn’t find any yet when I looked but I’m sure someone will have them soon. I like being able to get my foot full on the step so that’s why I like nerf bars, but I definitely like the look of running boards better though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the extruded running boards and find them to be a nuisance most of the time. They are ok when entering the vehicle but exiting is another story. When exiting, I tend to just miss it all together. It's not wide enough if you are pivoting out of the car and your foot is perpendicular to the step. You can barely get your heel on the board.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious, to those who have running boards, do you find them useful? Are you able to fit your foot on them pretty well? Do they help you get up over the edge of the seat so you’re not dragging across the edge? Lastly, plastic or die cast?

Thanks all!
I actually prefer not to have them as they do limit off road worthiness, but since I have to transport my mom regularly we got them because seeing her struggle to get in everyday was too much. I got the one where it has this gritty material on it that makes it nearly impossible to slip. Also blends in nicely on the side profile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mtunofun, you say they limit off-road performance. That is my question. Do they limit ramp over angle by sitting below the lower part of the stock undercarriage? Are you saying it does?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mtunofun, you say they limit off-road performance. That is my question. Do they limit ramp over angle by sitting below the lower part of the stock undercarriage? Are you saying it does?
I just looked under our Elite with die cast running boards and it doesn't appear to be lower than the components under the vehicle. If anything, they appear to be about the same height from the floor without doing actual measurements. The running boards themselves are higher than the undercarriage, but the metal pieces attaching the boards to the vehicle seem to be as far from the floor as the lowest parts.

Going to try to attach a picture showing ours, circled the metal bracket that attaches the running boards to the car so you can see how they are pretty much the same height off the floor.
20190726_154818.jpg

I definitely prefer the look of the running boards on the car, function aside. Car looks naked without 'em, and rugged with 'em.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That helps a lot. It’s the bracket that would pose the problem, if any. Thanks for the picture. Worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really want them. Either the die cast or “regular” ones but am concerned with the whole dirty pant-leg deal. My main reasons for getting them would be deflecting door dings in parking lots and aesthetics. Can anyone confirm that the running boards would be the first contact point from a neighboring car door?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don’t think they are near wide enough to deflect a door. I bought them because I’m short and like to step up before I slide my butt across the seat. I was afraid I’d break down the edge of the seat without them.
I have the diecast boards. They are super simple to install by one person. I have yet to dirty a plants leg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think running boards will help avoid door dings, especially in the case of a rear door hitting the car. Although, I suppose that would depend on the car. In most cases, I wouldn't expect running boards to offer that kind of protection.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
I don’t think they are near wide enough to deflect a door. I bought them because I’m short and like to step up before I slide my butt across the seat. I was afraid I’d break down the edge of the seat without them.
I have the die cast boards. They are super simple to install by one person. I have yet to dirty a plants leg.
I second all of these thoughts and add that even though the running boards may not take a hit before your door does, they are wide enough to get the person parking next to you to at least be more careful. I've had mine for at least six months and have yet to get a door ding...

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
My PP came with them (die cast) already installed. I haven't used them to get in or out (and actually do have to step further away upon exiting), but they look nice. They are too low to prevent door dings from other vehicles, or even shopping carts.

I suspect they will be helpful when loading items on the roof; I know in a former Pilot I often used them that way.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,539 Posts
I don’t have another car to see if the running boards will stop the door.

But after taking a side profile look and photo, a door will hit your door at the center bevel before it touches the running boards. I got them because I’m short (5’) and was climbing in and out of my Passport, and they look cool ??

·
Registered
25 Posts

But after taking a side profile look and photo, a door will hit your door at the center bevel before it touches the running boards. I got them because I’m short (5’) and was climbing in and out of my Passport, and they look cool ??

View attachment 4363
Do you have the regulars or the die cast? Would you mind posting a pic either way? The parts sites have them all zoomed in to obviously show the running boards in detail but I can get a firm grip of how they’ll look on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
Do you have the regulars or the die cast? Would you mind posting a pic either way? The parts sites have them all zoomed in to obviously show the running boards in detail but I can get a firm grip of how they’ll look on the vehicle.
Mine are the slim line black.
I originally was going to get diecast, but couldn’t decide without seeing them, so ordered both and in the end didn’t like them so I went with these. Wish I got a photo holding them next to my vehicle.

(Black) dimensions are: 74 x 12 x 8 inches
(Diecast) dimensions are: 82 x 12 x 9 inches

I can’t be certain if the diecast 1” width difference would give you door ding protection. Hopefully someone with them can get you a good side profile photo. 407guy has them, but not the photo you want. Maybe shoot him a message?

For my protection, I just take extra time to get a parking spot next to a curb and hope to not scratch my new wheels on that same curb!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can easily step over them when getting into or out of the Passport; I mainly installed them for the look. Although, I might start using it once I get the Traxda 2" lift kit installed. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts

View attachment 4363

How disappointing, I envision Super Mods as being at least 6' tall (and full of bronze).

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
Thanks for the pics Prodgirl and Wrascal. I really like them both but I think the die cast may give better grip in the winter for my kid ??
Diecast is certainly a better grip for snow and rain if that’s what you’ve got.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts