Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Read Only
392 Posts
Nope, 6'3" Running boards are pretty much just a foot catcher for me and my grown kids who are 6'4", 6'5" and 6'3" respectively. The wife at 5'7" is good without them as well.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Running boards also provide a more rough and outdoorsy look and prevent rocks from hitting your lower door panels while driving on dirt roads...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had running boards on my 2012 Pilot, and my wife has them on her vehicle. I’m tall, and I find them to be a hindrance, always having to step over them without having my dress slacks or khakis run up against them, which isn’t always easy. Very happy not to deal with that in this car.

my advice is to get them only if you need the step up. Otherwise, you’ll tire of them quickly.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
Running boards also provide a more rough and outdoorsy look and prevent rocks from hitting your lower door panels while driving on dirt roads...

Conversly many have been damaged by off-roading. I found boards necessary on my truck and helpful on my PP (to reach into the roof box).

·
3,249 Posts
Couldn't have said it better, myself....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had 2008 highlander for over 12 years and never thought about getting boards. Not sure what the exact sit height is but feels like 1-2 inches difference between HL and PP. I thought that I may damage front sit eventually if I keep scooting.... I am 5.8 and over 50 years now so it will not get any easier in the future either. I installed boards within a month and pretty happy I did so.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
I had 2008 highlander for over 12 years and never thought about getting boards. Not sure what the exact sit height is but feels like 1-2 inches difference between HL and PP. I thought that I may damage front sit eventually if I keep scooting.... I am 5.8 and over 50 years now so it will not get any easier in the future either. I installed boards within a month and pretty happy I did so.
I have a tough time swinging my right leg into my SUVs, so I have to get running boards on my new PP. Otherwise, I’d skip them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 5'3"" and absolutely love them. Can I get in and out without them? Yes. Do I want to? No. I ordered them on my new Passport, and they put the plastic-looking ones on. I switched them for the die-cast for looks only, but am glad I did. Wouldn't change my mind at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got the running boards, took them off two days later. Both my wife and I found they made getting in and out harder. We've had many SUVs though, and are used to the effort to get in. I doubt they do anything to protect the vehicle. With the way the brackets are they reduce ground clearance by an inch or so as well, and they are sheet metal brackets so scrape them once and they will be ripped off. On the other hand, if you are scraping the bottom of the PP on anything there are likely to be significant problems in general.

In my opinion, the running boards are mostly for looks, and secondly can be helpful for some to get in and out.

With and without photos:

Hi, you interested in selling the running boards? I see you may be located in Colorado were my son is with his PP.

View attachment 4186
View attachment 4188

·
Registered
2020 Lunar Silver Metallic EX-L
11 Posts
As of now, the only reason I can think of to get running boards is because it looks cool and I think I'm okay with that!

·
3,249 Posts
As of now, the only reason I can think of to get running boards is because it looks cool and I think I'm okay with that!
Minivans typically DO NOT have Running Boards, so to distance the Passport away from a mininvan look and to more of a rugged look, Running Boards, 18" wheets and A/T tires are the way to go, oh and maybe a roof cage...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have them and glad they are added. It makes it way easier for our 9 year old to get in and out of the vehicle. I too like them to get in and out of the driver's door. I use them all the time. I would think to avoid getting pants dirty just use them all the time. After a while it will become habit to step on them getting in and out. I recommend them.

Old post, I know, but can you post a link to the running boards you have? These look really good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have noticed that the running boards seem to be a popular accessory with Passport owners. How many purchase them for their looks and the protection of basically a long splash guard and how purchases them to facilitate ease of entry into the vehicle? The reason I ask is my wife and I pick up my Mom each weekend to go to church and out to eat. She's 81 years old about 5'5" tall and in fairly good shape for a 81 year old female. But, she's stated that it's a bit of a challenge to get on to the rear seat. Now I haven't seen any Passports with running boards on them that I could walk up to and check out, only what I've seen in pictures. But to me they look like their too cramped and high on the vehicle to serve as a step. I imagine stepping on the board and being too high and have to crouch down to get into the PP. Of the 3 choices of OEM running boards the die cast seem to be the best choice for function. Yet, I had running boards on my 2001 Tahoe and hardly ever stepped on them and my wife didn't care for them because she would get the back of her pant leg dirty because it would hit the running board when she got out.
But, we both agree if they do help with getting in and out of the PP easier for my Mom then we would consider them. I would appreciate anyone's insight or comments. Thanks, Chris
Mine came with running boards I bought it used and I'm so glad they're on there I don't think I'd be able to get in and out of the vehicle without them I just had knee surgery so they're really a plus now

21 - 36 of 36 Posts