Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have learned that the VCM on some Hondas can apparently cause a noise/vibration that sort of sounds and feels like drivng over rumble strips but is a much more muted sound/vibration. My Touring started this after about 2500 miles. More so while mountain driving than freeway. I am home after a vacation and am going to nearby mountains to see if I can replicate the noise/ vibration. Will be interesting to see if it does not show up in Sport mode.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know you said winding roads but can you describe what you’re doing when it happens? Acceleration? Braking? Coasting/deceleration?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, all are closed. I googled rumble strip effect on Hondas and am pretty sure what I found is what I am experiencing. Will take it in to dealer next week. ( Started at around 2500 miles, now has 4200 miles.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd be surprised if this anything other than the VCM activating. I get this on my V6 Accord with VCM. I used the S-VCM tuner to disable VCM and never heard it once with VCM disabled. It's exactly as you describe, a muted rumble strip-type noise and you can usually feel a slight vibration in the cabin. Normal operation of VCM in that case.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had that noise on my 16 Pilot but supposedly dealer never heard it when they drove it. Mine seemed like it was when the engine got stuck switching to eco mode. I don’t know all the tech terms but I could see the dash indicator white and once it switched to green the noise went away. That’s probably no help LOL!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are right in that it is related to the VCM. Especially after reading more about it. Not sure though why I never heard/felt it in the first 2500 miles only after that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine didn’t start until I had like 20,000 miles on there. Someone mentioned to me after the fact that maybe it was faulty motor mounts????

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you are right in that it is related to the VCM. Especially after reading more about it. Not sure though why I never heard/felt it in the first 2500 miles only after that.
I suppose its possible Honda has programmed the ECU to lock out VCM until pre-set break-in mileage is reached.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have done a little more diagnostic work on the conditions where the "rumble strip effect" is happening. It will occur almost always on an upshift to either 7-8 or 8-9 when the speed is at 47 mph and when after the shift the engine has dropped to approx. 1700. I cannot get it to occur under any other conditions so far. I plan on diving around 300 miles tomorrow to LA and back. Hoping to gather more info so I can pass it along to dealer when I take it in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After driving the PP some more I have found that mine makes the "rumble strip" noise always when the tranny upshifts from 7 to 8. It does it both in "D" and in "Sport". In fact, I can get it to repeat by using the paddles to force 7-8 upshifts. As I have mentioned previously, it never presents when accelerating briskly downshifting, or braking.. Still interested in seeing if anyone else is having the same issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After driving the PP some more I have found that mine makes the "rumble strip" noise always when the tranny upshifts from 7 to 8. It does it both in "D" and in "Sport". In fact, I can get it to repeat by using the paddles to force 7-8 upshifts. As I have mentioned previously, it never presents when accelerating briskly downshifting, or braking.. Still interested in seeing if anyone else is having the same issue.
Any update on this?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it to the dealer yesterday. They were able to replicate the noise. They said they had not seen this issue before. They contacted Honda Tech and were told this a "characteristic" of the nine speed transmission when a transmission cooler is installed which my PP has. I am not satisfied with that reply and contacted Honda myself. Rep took all the info and said Honda Tech would be in touch within 24 hours.I will post again after I hear from them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Took it to the dealer yesterday. They were able to replicate the noise. They said they had not seen this issue before. They contacted Honda Tech and were told this a "characteristic" of the nine speed transmission when a transmission cooler is installed which my PP has. I am not satisfied with that reply and contacted Honda myself. Rep took all the info and said Honda Tech would be in touch within 24 hours.I will post again after I hear from them.
Thank you! Looking forward to their response.

·
Registered
373 Posts
So it’s ‘Characteristic’ for a transmission to shake the crap out of itself? Sounds like the response you’d get at a Kia dealership. I call Bulls___t on that response.

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are so right! That is why I am being as proactive as I can at this point to not let Honda skate on this. I really like the PP but every time I drive it now all I can think about is that darn noise. I want to tow my son's car and trailer to a track 200 miles away at the end of Nov. Not happening unless Honda can rectify the tranny issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same issue for months. Started this thread 3 months ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts