Honda Passport Forum banner

Roof rack + Full size spare tire?

11K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  ShutterBug 
#1 ·
For those who have a full size spare tire mounted on their roof rack... how do you get the wheel on/off? I mean a full size spare 30" AT wheel weighs at least 50lbs and I can't see how standing on running boards (or even your rear tire) will give you enough leverage to get it in/out of the rack.

Do you have a ladder? Do you just monkey climb onto the roof? Dropping it from 7ft and hoping it lands on the rubber doesn't sound like a good idea either.

#2 ·
I gave up finding a solution to toting around a full size spare and got Michelin tires with a 3 year road side service and warranty with America’s/Discount Tire.

Moab Junky on here has a rig set up with a tow hitch, but I didn’t want to go that route as I sometimes put my bike on a hitch rack.

Reactions: Moab Junky
#3 ·
I was introduced to a nice, although somewhat expensive solution for its size , device by another member here. We won't mention her name or the fact that she might be a moderator around here, but it works well for me.

But then at 6'3" it gives me plenty of height to get the tire out of the rack and down.

#4 ·
I was introduced to a nice, although somewhat expensive solution for its size , device by another member here. We won't mention her name or the fact that she might be a moderator around here, but it works well for me.

But then at 6'3" it gives me plenty of height to get the tire out of the rack and down.
I’ve got one of those for when I travel and go to the car wash. However, I was told with the latch on our vehicle aren’t meant for much weight, or lots of movement like getting a tire off the roof, even though rated for 400#’s.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies but it doesn't appear that a roof basket with a tire is a good solution. I like many things about my Passport, but some of their oversights are serious downfalls. I too thought it has a full size spare in the trunk. Shame on them for calling the Passport "Adventure ready" and only giving it a donut. (n) Don't even get me started on the lack of recovery points too :mad:

#13 ·
My thought to trying to hoist a 50+ lbs full size tire onto the roof and then get it down was never going to happen. I’m strong enough, but if I’m out backpacking for 3 days or on an off-road camping trip, I may be too tired for that. I’ve opted for a hitch-mounted tire carrier from Dirt Complex (still waiting to get it). The donut will be fine when I’m on pavement, but when I hit the trails I’ll definitely need the full size spare.

#16 ·
Im one of those crazy people who just uses the small spare without worry. I have 8 of the same 18” wheels and use those too if I’m near my garage. I dont tow, but I do some pretty rugged overlanding from time to time. Considering the jsport safari rack for those who dont already have the oem one (EXL and sport). Will definitely attach a fss up there and wont have much trouble standing in the door jam to get it. Im tall.

#17 ·
Thats not a problem if you have a 2WD. With AWD that donut makes you drive Reeeaaal Slllllooooow when it is on the ground, otherwise the system heats up and you get the blinky blinky, you're going to ruin something (overheat) warning.

I haven't experienced it yet but the wife did on her Rogue AWD. Finely she said screw this and called the wrecker out to get the vehicle as she has roadside assistance from Nissan.

That is why I want a full size tire. I don't want to be 60 miles east of Timbuktu and have to be driving 25 mph to get to the nearest gas station or repair shop. And I don't want to be stuck like this guy.

#21 ·
Because no one has mentioned it...
If your front tire goes flat, you need to take one of your (not flat) rear tires off and move it to the location of the flat (front) tire, then use the donut spare on the rear.

If you're a block or two away from the tire store, just put the donut on the front.

Reactions: DudeCS
#33 ·
Sorry! I should have been more clear. Here is what I've found so far. I like this idea because I was thinking about adding a cargo box anyway, so this gets me a little extra storage, along with a full size spare.

If anyone has any experience or insight on either of these, please let me know!

#36 ·

If anyone has any experience or insight on either of these, please let me know!
I've had both (well, the Megawarrior, which is the Loadwarrior's big brother, and the Model K locknload. Both have been great solutions, if perhaps for different reasons.

Loved the Megawarrior on my Outback. Big, not a terrible amount of wind noise, solid. Carries a lot of gear (keeping in mind to not exceed weight limits). Relatively easy to take on an off with the mounting solution Yakima uses (A T-Bolt on each mount). Would have kept it but it would not clear my garage entrance (height) on the PP.

The Locknload is a clever, if expensive, beast. T-Slots for mounting lots of things. Light, but strong aluminum construction. Yakima makes a nice strap arrangement specifically for strapping down a full-size spare. You can add side rails (for more $$$), but without the side rails you'll have an easier time pulling the spare down. With the locknload you can either use Yakima's crossbar mounts (not included), or the Timberline tower attachment, which clamps on the Honda factory side rails (no crossbars needed). With the Timberlines you can add the SKS key system to keep your rack from walking away from your PP if you park it outside, or where ever thieves with an eye toward expensive expedition racks slither...

I tried both of Inno's expedition racks as well. The small one is, well, small. The larger one, unfortunately, does not work and play well with Honda's factory cross-bar arrangement and bottoms out on the towers of the crossbars. It fits and can be locked down nicely, but sends a terrible vibration (unloaded) down into the passenger cabin between about 45 and just below 60MPH. I think some of that vibration would have been dampened by the crossbars if the rack wasn't bottomed out on the towers.

#35 ·
@Cilles
I agree! My 17" Ko2 mounted on a wheel is heavy. I could see me damaging the side of the vehicle or my shoulders lifting it. Go with a LT tire and mount it like
@REALM did.
Also carry a tire repair kit and little air compressor .

Reactions: JLH
#37 ·
The OEM rim + tire weighs 70 pounds.
The weight is not the issue. How to grip the tire and control the weight is the issue.

Owners are quick to modify their interior rear compartment to install a subwoofer, but not as quick to modify the same area to carry a full sized spare.

Reactions: PNWGarageDad
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.