Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Because no one has mentioned it...
If your front tire goes flat, you need to take one of your (not flat) rear tires off and move it to the location of the flat (front) tire, then use the donut spare on the rear.

If you're a block or two away from the tire store, just put the donut on the front.

Reactions: DudeCS

·
Registered
842 Posts
I put an extension hose on my PP spare so I can check the psi w/o taking the wheel out. $12 on Amazon.
Oatey 274-038 Extension Hose, 3/16"" x 3'
For many Pilot owners the extension would probably be of little value. There are a few threads on the Pilot forum about the spare lifting mechanism freezing up, not letting the spare drop. Usually discovered on the side of some road, although some found the problem when they went to get the spare out of the way to do some work on the back end of the vehicle.

The lifting mechanism gets wet from underneath and rust sets in. By forcing them to drop the spare they shake the rust loose. Of course that only works for those that think about their spare in the first place, so I doubt that the extension hose would do those that don't much good either.

The like you posted is definitely a convenience for Passport owners though.(y)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’ve got one of those for when I travel and go to the car wash. However, I was told with the latch on our vehicle aren’t meant for much weight, or lots of movement like getting a tire off the roof, even though rated for 400#’s.
I think I could make you one out of Balsa wood and it would hold you!
I think your car will be fine with you on it! ;)

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Those door latch hooks are rated for thousands of lbs of force (vertical and horizontal). You won’t bend it even if you tried.
Unfortunately, the 'fulcrum' of the step presses against the painted sheet metal . . . and does not share that 'thousands of lbs' rating . . .

·
Registered
21’ Silver touring
38 Posts
Unfortunately, the 'fulcrum' of the step presses against the painted sheet metal . . . and does not share that 'thousands of lbs' rating . . .
View attachment 10307
not
I was introduced to a nice, although somewhat expensive solution for its size , device by another member here. We won't mention her name or the fact that she might be a moderator around here, but it works well for me.

View attachment 10290

But then at 6'3" it gives me plenty of height to get the tire out of the rack and down.
Cue body damage in 3...2...

·
Registered
220 Posts
For those who have a full size spare tire mounted on their roof rack... how do you get the wheel on/off? I mean a full size spare 30" AT wheel weighs at least 50lbs and I can't see how standing on running boards (or even your rear tire) will give you enough leverage to get it in/out of the rack.

Do you have a ladder? Do you just monkey climb onto the roof? Dropping it from 7ft and hoping it lands on the rubber doesn't sound like a good idea either.
NEVER DROP AN INFLATED TIRE LIKE THAT. IT MAY COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU. That said, I suggest brut force support and or a qualified assistant for removal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was introduced to a nice, although somewhat expensive solution for its size , device by another member here. We won't mention her name or the fact that she might be a moderator around here, but it works well for me.

View attachment 10290

But then at 6'3" it gives me plenty of height to get the tire out of the rack and down.
Tell m about the stress placed on the door u hook. Will door latch action be affected adversely? The unit carries 400lbs what does the u hook support?

·
Registered
220 Posts
For those who have a full size spare tire mounted on their roof rack... how do you get the wheel on/off? I mean a full size spare 30" AT wheel weighs at least 50lbs and I can't see how standing on running boards (or even your rear tire) will give you enough leverage to get it in/out of the rack.

Do you have a ladder? Do you just monkey climb onto the roof? Dropping it from 7ft and hoping it lands on the rubber doesn't sound like a good idea either.
Perhaps a Spare Tire Hitch Carrier may work for some. Be sure to get one that will disconnect/pivot to open the hatch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry! I should have been more clear. Here is what I've found so far. I like this idea because I was thinking about adding a cargo box anyway, so this gets me a little extra storage, along with a full size spare.

If anyone has any experience or insight on either of these, please let me know!

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
883 Posts
@Cilles
I agree! My 17" Ko2 mounted on a wheel is heavy. I could see me damaging the side of the vehicle or my shoulders lifting it. Go with a LT tire and mount it like
@REALM did.
Also carry a tire repair kit and little air compressor .

Reactions: JLH

·
Registered
2021 PP EX-L AWD OBP
201 Posts

If anyone has any experience or insight on either of these, please let me know!
I've had both (well, the Megawarrior, which is the Loadwarrior's big brother, and the Model K locknload. Both have been great solutions, if perhaps for different reasons.

Loved the Megawarrior on my Outback. Big, not a terrible amount of wind noise, solid. Carries a lot of gear (keeping in mind to not exceed weight limits). Relatively easy to take on an off with the mounting solution Yakima uses (A T-Bolt on each mount). Would have kept it but it would not clear my garage entrance (height) on the PP.

The Locknload is a clever, if expensive, beast. T-Slots for mounting lots of things. Light, but strong aluminum construction. Yakima makes a nice strap arrangement specifically for strapping down a full-size spare. You can add side rails (for more $$$), but without the side rails you'll have an easier time pulling the spare down. With the locknload you can either use Yakima's crossbar mounts (not included), or the Timberline tower attachment, which clamps on the Honda factory side rails (no crossbars needed). With the Timberlines you can add the SKS key system to keep your rack from walking away from your PP if you park it outside, or where ever thieves with an eye toward expensive expedition racks slither...

I tried both of Inno's expedition racks as well. The small one is, well, small. The larger one, unfortunately, does not work and play well with Honda's factory cross-bar arrangement and bottoms out on the towers of the crossbars. It fits and can be locked down nicely, but sends a terrible vibration (unloaded) down into the passenger cabin between about 45 and just below 60MPH. I think some of that vibration would have been dampened by the crossbars if the rack wasn't bottomed out on the towers.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The OEM rim + tire weighs 70 pounds.
The weight is not the issue. How to grip the tire and control the weight is the issue.

Owners are quick to modify their interior rear compartment to install a subwoofer, but not as quick to modify the same area to carry a full sized spare.

Reactions: PNWGarageDad
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.