Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Passport last week July 3rd. I test everything before driving off the lot and when i tested the hands free lift gate, it sounded like rocks tumbling inside the hatch. Well..of course, no service crew to look at the problem so bring the car back at your convenience and we will make it right, said the salesman. So, I brought back the car today. Spent almost two hours at the dealer. Salesman comes out and says the "rocks" were broken glass from the factory. Like the car window was broken during assembly and shards of the glass fell into the nooks and crannies of the hatch structure. Said they were raising and lowering the hatch to vacuum out the bits. But I guess they kept not getting all of it. So the General Sales Manager comes out and apologizes and said they need more time to make it right. I live two hours from the dealer which he realized since there were other dealers closer that I could have purchased the vehicle from. (he had the best price which is why I willing to travel two hours to get the car). He would give me a loaner while he works on the car and they would do something to make it worth my while. What that is I have no idea. Since I have other Friday off from work, another trip back to the dealer in two weeks to drop off the car and have them work on the problem....and then another trip back to the dealer to pick it up. I am going to send word to Corp Honda that they should look what happen on that shift with this car. Should have never left the factory if what is being surmised happened. And no, I am not holding my breath that Corp Honda will really care and truly follow up on the incident. I work in Manufacturing and at least the companies I worked for took complaints seriously and would look at all the records pertaining to when the product was manufactured to determine what went wrong. I'll post more info about this saga as it develops. Thanks for reading this and letting me vent.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Wow, that's a new one for sure, you can complain to Honda and it will probably even get flowed down to the Assembly Plant, but like you said, I doubt they ever respond.

On the other hand, your dealer has said they will do something. You should ASK for something for FREE, Running Boards, Cross Bars, Rear Cargo Mat, pick something, tell them it would help restore your faith in Honda and the dealership, otherwise, I gottta feeling it's gonna be a $25 gift card to the Parts Dept, a free Oil change or a free Car wash..!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I just typed up and sent a long letter to Corp Honda about the incident. I agree that Corp Honda won't respond or let me know what happen. I too agree it will be some type of gift card...restaurant, or something.. Lighted Running Boards works for me! In this day of social media, forums, etc, it is very easy for an individual to post when bad stuff happens. 30 years ago, maybe your close friends would be the only ones to know. Now, 50,000 people can find out what happen and keep finding out months later. So it is in a business best interest to keep a customer happy and satisified. We all read reviews and draw our own conclusions on them. Sometimes, it just takes a couple of bad reviews for others to decide NOT to engage with a business...loss sales.....

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
WOW! That tops the charts for today’s trending posts!

Reactions: Mrevets

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the response I got from Honda Corp on my "rocks" in the hatch

We are very sorry for the late response. American Honda Motor Co,. Inc unfortunately had to shut down all networks due to an outside source. We are back up and running and are assisting all our customers as fast as possible. We offer our sincere apologies for the circumstances which prompted you to reach us.

Your input assists us in fully understanding our customer's perspectives and we thank you for sharing your experience with us. Honda documents and uses feedback in developing training for dealership management. Honda dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses in charge of their own daily operation including, but not limited to, the sales and service provided. We have documented your feedback and have placed a formal complaint against the dealership on your behalf as they are responsible for the vehicle upon delivery.

We thank you for being a valued Honda customer and appreciate the opportunity to document your feedback.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here was my response

I would say thanks for the reply but in this case, did Honda learn from having to shut down your network and have a business continuity plan to handle this situation? Maybe you should look into having a backup plan so you can continue with your commitment on replying within three days....

I am disappointed in your response to my letter. The problem with my Passport is not a problem that occurred at the dealership. It is a problem that occurred at the factory. If you would re-read my letter, I specifically asked questions on what happen at the factory with my vehicle during the manufacturing process. You failed to answer those questions. Doesn’t the factory take any responsibility for the quality of the vehicles it produces? Your response indicates Honda Manufacturing doesn’t and pushes the responsibility to the dealer. Is that really your position as a company? To remind you of what questions I asked, I have copied my initial letter below.

It is also disheartening on my return trip to the dealer today to have this problem resolved. When I arrived at the dealer this morning, my wife and I walked into the showroom and were ask what help we needed. I said I was here to have my brand new car repaired. A salesman proceeded to walk us over to the service counter. When I gave my name to the one of the two individuals sitting at separate desks and said we were here to have our car fixed, he asked if it was for the Passport and I responded yes. He looked us up and had no work order for our repair. He looked through the stack of work orders for repairs and did not find any document. I proceeded to tell him this had all been arranged from our visit on July 10th and there was to be a loaner car for us to take while the broken glass would be removed from the vehicle. Again, he had NO idea on what I was talking about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Continued

I also proceeded to tell him that I sent an email to Jack Munley on July 17th stating that we would be returning on July 24th with the vehicle for the work to be done. Obviously, no one in the service department was made aware of our return 14 days after our visit on July 10th when the General Manager said he needed more time to repair the car and would “make it right with us” since we had to travel two hours to the dealership. Finally, our original salesman, Matt showed up with keys to the loaner vehicle for us to take.

This greeting in the service department not knowing why we were there is really unacceptable. Plenty of time elapsed for communication to the service department that we were would be arriving on July 24th and to know exactly why we were there. Also, there has been no communication on how this was “going to be made right” with us. I would have expected the General Manager to have greeted us today and explain all of this to us and what his plan was.

We will see how this plays out two weeks from now when I go back to pick up the vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Mrevets, all of your posts, comments and letters were very well written and well explained, it's sad that neither the Dealership nor Honda Corp posses the intelligence and customer service skills to address your problem, concerns and issues.

Please keep us updated on how this plays out.

And one question, "How many hours away from you is the next closest Honda dealership?"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
StevenD - thanks for the response. There is one dealer 1/2 hour away from my house...but had ZERO customer service skills when I walked into the dealership. I was like a bother to them. The next dealer 45 minutes as the crows flies. We purchased our Honda van from them in 2014. They gave a good price but the dealer 2 hours away beat them by $900. I was willing to drive 2 hours to save $900 on the Passport. When I purchased my RAV4 from Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville, NC, he beat all the local dealers by $2000. Cost me $500 to fly down plus I was able to get 0% financing in 2012 compared to the 1.9% the local dealers were offering...so even more money saved. I'll keep everyone posted. Glad there is a forum to share.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
72 Posts
Do you know for a fact that the incident happened at the factory? Or are you just going on what the dealer told you?
I call shenanigans on the dealer. I find it very hard to believe that if it indeed actually happened at the factory, they would let it pass through the glass install station, then final inspection. You can believe whomever you want, I personally would hold the dealership responsible. They took delivery of the vehicle and then under the guise of good faith, honesty and professional business ethics, sold you a fit and perfect vehicle. Did it say used, as is on your sales slip? Registration? or lien? I call dealership Bullshit. Probably happened during transport, or on their lot. I personally would have them send a flat bed, pick up the vehicle, repair, vacuum out the crap, then when complete, wash, detail, apply a professional paint sealant and hand you a $250 visa gift card for lying and hugely inconveniencing you. 🤔

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vehicle was new with only 12 miles on it when I picked it up. The dealer should have heard the rocks in the hatch before they signed over the vehicle to me. It was during checkout of the vehicle when I, my wife and salesman heard the rocks. We'll see how this plays out... The way to make me whole is installation of lighted running boards. I did send an email to the service manager and general manager expressing my displeasure with today's interaction. If it did not happen at the factory, it will be interesting to see how Corp responds back to my second email. Will Corp throw the dealer under the bus?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Response from Corp to my reply

Thank you for your continued correspondence. We certainly understand this is frustrating and once more apologize as this is not expected when when purchasing a new vehicle. Our office deals mainly with warranty and product concerns. As such we are not involved in the sales process and for the best assistance we recommend to continue to work the selling dealerships General or Sales Manager. We have documented the additional feedback pertaining to your complaint.

Kind regards,

Honda Automobile Customer Service

·
Registered
808 Posts
I picked up my Passport last week July 3rd. I test everything before driving off the lot and when i tested the hands free lift gate, it sounded like rocks tumbling inside the hatch. Well..of course, no service crew to look at the problem so bring the car back at your convenience and we will make it right, said the salesman. So, I brought back the car today. Spent almost two hours at the dealer. Salesman comes out and says the "rocks" were broken glass from the factory. Like the car window was broken during assembly and shards of the glass fell into the nooks and crannies of the hatch structure. Said they were raising and lowering the hatch to vacuum out the bits. But I guess they kept not getting all of it. So the General Sales Manager comes out and apologizes and said they need more time to make it right. I live two hours from the dealer which he realized since there were other dealers closer that I could have purchased the vehicle from. (he had the best price which is why I willing to travel two hours to get the car). He would give me a loaner while he works on the car and they would do something to make it worth my while. What that is I have no idea. Since I have other Friday off from work, another trip back to the dealer in two weeks to drop off the car and have them work on the problem....and then another trip back to the dealer to pick it up. I am going to send word to Corp Honda that they should look what happen on that shift with this car. Should have never left the factory if what is being surmised happened. And no, I am not holding my breath that Corp Honda will really care and truly follow up on the incident. I work in Manufacturing and at least the companies I worked for took complaints seriously and would look at all the records pertaining to when the product was manufactured to determine what went wrong. I'll post more info about this saga as it develops. Thanks for reading this and letting me vent.
The QC people at the plant let that vehicle out to the dealership? Stunning!

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Someone suggested it was broken at the Dealership, who did a half-ass job repairing it, which is also very possible....

I've been to several Assembly Plants over the years (in Mexico, Canada and the US) over the years and if they find anything wrong, it gets pulled from the line and goes to a rework group before being shipped out, so I find it hard to believe it happened at the assembly Plant...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest update - Original saleman called Monday to say car is finish and said they were keeping it one more day to make absolutely sure. Called last night to tell us they were keeping in one more day to make sure absolutley everything was perfect. Asked about the General Manager's comment that "he was going to do something to make it right" and what exactly was that, he said he could not answer that since that was above him. Have not heard back today yet.

There is a whole lesson in what could have been done to avoid all of this. Would make a great case study for a management class teaching about customer service.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Latest update - Original saleman called Monday to say car is finish and said they were keeping it one more day to make absolutely sure. Called last night to tell us they were keeping in one more day to make sure absolutley everything was perfect. Asked about the General Manager's comment that "he was going to do something to make it right" and what exactly was that, he said he could not answer that since that was above him. Have not heard back today yet.

There is a whole lesson in what could have been done to avoid all of this. Would make a great case study for a management class teaching about customer service.

Its nothing more than Customer Service 101.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts

I'm glad your issue is almost over and you can start enjoying your purchase...!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So last Friday I drove the car to dealer to have it fixed with the "rocks" in the hatch. Here it is, one week later, and no word if the car fixed. Last communication was on Tuesday night - said he would get back to us....radio silence since then..... still racking up the mileage on their 2019 Pilot that gave me to drive around it. Driving it for the week made me realize I like my 2020 Passport..very similar..but don't need the third row....but I would really like to drive my new car.....We decided NOT to pursue contacting them to find out the status of the car...the ball is in the dealer court...Not planning on driving out there on Saturday to find out it is not ready....... thanks to all for following this perfect case study....and allowing me to vent... :)

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Time for a long road trip in the Pilot...!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts