Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'21 EX-L Modern Steel
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am turning this over to you guys and gals. I have given up, my brain is fried, and before I spend $1000+ on tires I need your thoughts. Right front tire keeps getting eaten up. I have always had them rotate and check alignment at every oil change. I had them align and rotate the tires when I noticed this, because I really don't want to prematurely have to put on tires. Within 1000 miles of the last rotation and alignment the right front is starting to get eaten up again. Tire pressures are at 37psi. 95% of the time its just me and a empty passport driving. Does not feel like its pulling, except from road crown. I have added pictures, although they don't do it justice. Seems like the right front is being eaten on both the inner and outer tread. Then, I am between Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, Defender 2, or Bridgestone Alenza AS ultra, which I feel might be for a different topic.

Thanks for any info that could help me!

21 PP EX-L
26,500 mi

Font Parallel Rectangle Machine Engineering
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

·
Registered
'21 EX-L Modern Steel
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. When the tow was adjusted I assumed it would fix it. However I never thought about the crown of the road causing more wear, and even the Honda dealership told me the continentals we're junk. I just assumed that was typical dealer "we don't want to deal with it" jargon.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks for the info. When the tow was adjusted I assumed it would fix it. However I never thought about the crown of the road causing more wear, and even the Honda dealership told me the continentals we're junk. I just assumed that was typical dealer "we don't want to deal with it" jargon.
I am at 17000 miles and mine are down to 6/32 ish.
Also, it seems like the dealer is not flipping sides on the front when rotating causing the ride side tires wear more than the left side.

·
Registered
'21 EX-L Modern Steel
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm probably going to take it to another dealer and have them rack it before I put tires on it. Just to make sure. I know that the alignment report says it's okish. But, idk if their rack is calibrated right.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What if you checked the air pressure, with a digital gauge and found out the right tire's tpms was off, by 7 or 8 pounds?
More likely though, it's the front to back rotation sequence, without crossing them.
Are you getting 17 or 18" tires, which are hundreds less than the 20s? I went with 2007 - 09 MDX 18" rims.

·
Registered
'21 EX-L Modern Steel
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always use a digital tire pressure gauge. I'm gonna go with you and jasonpp and say bad rotation practices. Although, based off of jason, I feel like I'm doing good on OEM tires @ 26.5k.
I'm going to stick with factory 20's. I'm most likely gonna trade it in '24,(unless Honda does something stupid with the 24 PP) cause of the mileage I do. Hopefully this will be the only set of tires I have to put on it while I own it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I always use a digital tire pressure gauge. I'm gonna go with you and jasonpp and say bad rotation practices. Although, based off of jason, I feel like I'm doing good on OEM tires @ 26.5k.
I'm going to stick with factory 20's. I'm most likely gonna trade it in '24,(unless Honda does something stupid with the 24 PP) cause of the mileage I do. Hopefully this will be the only set of tires I have to put on it while I own it.
I drive a lot of mountain roads and also the roads here in Colorado are very course.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Regarding tire rotation, I marked my tires last time and found that there was only two tires relocated at my last service at the Honda dealer. I got into a bit of an argument over it and the reliability of the fact they say they do other things, but I cannot trust them. There was a brake service in there as well. They initially insisted they'd rotated the tires, then admitted it was only two. At the same time insisting that this was enough as the "highly" skilled" and trained service person was only moving the tires that appeared to be wearing and in need of rotation.

Just FYI, I hope you don't fed this line too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Regarding tire rotation, I marked my tires last time and found that there was only two tires relocated at my last service at the Honda dealer. I got into a bit of an argument over it and the reliability of the fact they say they do other things, but I cannot trust them. There was a brake service in there as well. They initially insisted they'd rotated the tires, then admitted it was only two. At the same time insisting that this was enough as the "highly" skilled" and trained service person was only moving the tires that appeared to be wearing and in need of rotation.

Don't go to the service dept., unless it's a warranty issue.

Yours is a tale as old as time. Everything associated with an auto manufacturer is subject to underhandedness.
It's not just the salesmen, the finance clerk, and the questionable advertising tactics...it's everything.

In the early 90s, I bought a civic from Carland Honda in Roswell GA. When it was time for a particular (valve adjustment) service, they offered a bevy of extra things, for a few more dollars. When the car was ready, I wanted to verify what had been done and quickly found that I had paid for nothing.
I told the service ticket writer and had to show him what had not been done. He called the tech over and one by one I checked the list and over 75% of the items had never been touched and were in need of attention.
The Service ticket writer offered no excuse and would not remove the fee for the service.

Thankfully, years later via Facebook, I've been able to locally find reputable techs that do bigger side jobs (TB) on their weekends.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've owned 2 PP's, a '19 and now a '22. My wife has a '18 Pilot. I have to say, I love the Conti's - they are one of the best all-season radials I've ever had. They go through everything and anything - i just put a new set on the Pilot - that's how good I think they are. I live in central Maryland, so we get it all. I agree, it looks like the toe is off. Also, and I've experienced this before, make sure the wheel is not messed up in any way - like from hitting a pothole or a curb. Do you hear any noise from that front wheel/tire?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've owned 2 PP's, a '19 and now a '22. My wife has a '18 Pilot. I have to say, I love the Conti's - they are one of the best all-season radials I've ever had. They go through everything and anything - i just put a new set on the Pilot - that's how good I think they are. I live in central Maryland, so we get it all. I agree, it looks like the toe is off. Also, and I've experienced this before, make sure the wheel is not messed up in any way - like from hitting a pothole or a curb. Do you hear any noise from that front wheel/tire?
I personally think there are better wearing tires out there for better prices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't go to the service dept., unless it's a warranty issue.

Yours is a tale as old as time. Everything associated with an auto manufacturer is subject to underhandedness.
It's not just the salesmen, the finance clerk, and the questionable advertising tactics...it's everything.

In the early 90s, I bought a civic from Carland Honda in Roswell GA. When it was time for a particular (valve adjustment) service, they offered a bevy of extra things, for a few more dollars. When the car was ready, I wanted to verify what had been done and quickly found that I had paid for nothing.
I told the service ticket writer and had to show him what had not been done. He called the tech over and one by one I checked the list and over 75% of the items had never been touched and were in need of attention.
The Service ticket writer offered no excuse and would not remove the fee for the service.

Thankfully, years later via Facebook, I've been able to locally find reputable techs that do bigger side jobs (TB) on their weekends.
I just changed oil and filter on my daily commuter a 1996 Honda Civic EX 1.6 auto with 284,000 miles. I pulled the valve cover, turned her over with a wrench and checked the valve lash, still in spec. 🤠👍

·
Registered
'21 EX-L Modern Steel
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I love when you ask for something, dealerships say...eh, don't need it, or only need half. It can be as simple as this, a tire rotation, you didn't ask for just 2, and you paid for all 4.😠

·
Registered
9 Posts
The OEM Continentals on my 2020 Passport started chunking rubber at 25,000 miles. My trusted tire guy said it was probably due to improper curing when made. Continental was no help, actually wanted me to send them in to be examined. Can you imagine?
Discount Tire gave me more credit for them than I expected from Continental. Went ahead and got new 17” rims and Michelin 245/65/17 tires. Much happier. BTW, I still have the 20” Black Elite rims that I would like to sell.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The OEM Continentals on my 2020 Passport started chunking rubber at 25,000 miles. My trusted tire guy said it was probably due to improper curing when made. Continental was no help, actually wanted me to send them in to be examined. Can you imagine?
Discount Tire gave me more credit for them than I expected from Continental. Went ahead and got new 17” rims and Michelin 245/65/17 tires. Much happier. BTW, I still have the 20” Black Elite rims that I would like to sell.
I remember Continental was recalling some of the Pilot/Passport tires due to a curing process issue that can cause the tread to separate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts