Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here’s my issue. 2019 EX -L AWD with 9700 miles. The PP has been trouble free until this issue occurred. Just made a 700 mile trip from Michigan to North Carolina in dry conditions. Since my arrival, there’s has only been 1 very brief rain event that was mainly drizzle that lasted maybe 15 minutes. That event was 1 1/2 days ago, and the PP was used several times with no issues since. Today, after the PP had been sitting for the entire day, we made a short trip to go shopping. After a 20 minute ride, I noticed water dripping from the plastic panel directly below the left bottom corner of the glove compartment. The drip had filled the right all weather mat with about 1/2” of water. i’m sure the mat was dry when I left. Both temperature settings on the AC panel were set at 71 degrees, and the outside ambient was 70, so I don’t think that the AC was on. I dropped the glove box and checked the cabin filter, but everything was 100 % dry. Since parking the PP the drip has stopped. Has anybody experienced this issue? I’m really scratching my head to explain the source. Any insight would be appreciated. BTW - I’ve never opened the sun roof.
craig

·
Registered
60 Posts
Been through a car wash recently ? DIY with HIGH pressure water near the base of the windshield ? Any tree or other debris near the drains and fresh air intake on the windshield cowl ? During fall in northern climates with seasonal foliage changes it's quite possible a acorn husk, pine needles or other fauna is blocking a drain. It's also hoarding time for little rodents to stash food in naughty places so see if anybody has paid your ride a visit. I'm under car hoods every day and see this almost everyday.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pete. I spent some time inspecting the PP and it looks like I had a clogged evaporator drain. I slid under the PP and noticed that the drain hose was dry, so I took a small bulb type turkey baster and blew air into the drain tube. The first half a dozen attempts were met with quite a bit of resistance, but I did get a few drops of water and could hear water bubbling when I squeezed the bulb. After repeated attempts, i could blow air up the hose easily and I started to get more water and the hose was dripping regularly. I’ve since driven the PP a few times with AC, and everything seems to be working, as I’m now getting a constant drip of water out of the tube. What has me baffled, is how the drain could have clogged in the first place? what clogged the drain and where did it come from, as I don’t see how leaves or debris could make it to the evaporator housing inside the cabin. I’m wondering if a label or some other manufacturing material could have been left inside.
craig

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
669 Posts
What has me baffled, is how the drain could have clogged in the first place? what clogged the drain and where did it come from, as I don’t see how leaves or debris could make it to the evaporator housing inside the cabin. I’m wondering if a label or some other manufacturing material could have been left inside.
craig
Open the hood and check along the windshield cowl for debris. Leaves, pine needles, seeds tend to collect near the hood hinge. Debris may have collected beneath the cowl, gotten pass the hinges? If you are able, remove the cowl and vacuum the area below.

Clean around the rear cargo hatch when opened, too. Debris can collect along the rear hatch opening and around the black plastic trim near the tail lights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Craig I once had a spider spin a bunch of silk in my Subaru drain hose, a metal coat hanger I unwound worked fine. Stick something up the pipe and twist it to make sure the foreign object isn't still up there. A handgun cleaning brush works well also. Happy probing !!

Pete

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Sport
58 Posts
Thanks, Pete. I spent some time inspecting the PP and it looks like I had a clogged evaporator drain. I slid under the PP and noticed that the drain hose was dry, so I took a small bulb type turkey baster and blew air into the drain tube. The first half a dozen attempts were met with quite a bit of resistance, but I did get a few drops of water and could hear water bubbling when I squeezed the bulb. After repeated attempts, i could blow air up the hose easily and I started to get more water and the hose was dripping regularly. I’ve since driven the PP a few times with AC, and everything seems to be working, as I’m now getting a constant drip of water out of the tube. What has me baffled, is how the drain could have clogged in the first place? what clogged the drain and where did it come from, as I don’t see how leaves or debris could make it to the evaporator housing inside the cabin. I’m wondering if a label or some other manufacturing material could have been left inside.
craig
Where the heck did you find the drain tube. I could not for the life of me find where it is.

Please describe or better yet pic/video.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where the heck did you find the drain tube. I could not for the life of me find where it is.

Please describe or better yet pic/video.

Thanks
The drain tube is located behind the right front wheel towards the center of the vehicle. just slide underneath and you’ll see a rubber hose hanging from the firewall that’s about 3/8” ID. It doesn’t hang below the body structure, so you have to look around a bit. Good Luck, it’s not hard to find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The drain tube is located behind the right front wheel towards the center of the vehicle. just slide underneath and you’ll see a rubber hose hanging from the firewall that’s about 3/8” ID. It doesn’t hang below the body structure, so you have to look around a bit. Good Luck, it’s not hard to find.
I thought I had a clog and found the tube, which was dry, and disconnected it with via the clamp at the firewall. I ran 30" wire all the way in, still no water. I was getting a musty smell when I turned the air off on a cooler day, so I assumed it was backed up. Turns out I park on an incline with the front of the Passport higher and it doesn't drain when I park. I turned it around so it was pointing down on the incline and water came pouring out... not a great design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts