Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a month it finally came in and is on, at least for now.
My goal here was simply a way to carry a full-size spare on trips, as I’m not a donut fan. Had too many flats in my time.

Install took about 3 hours, but that’s also with installing the one time setup pieces like wheel plate, Rotopax mount, etc. I could probably mount the thing again in like 30 minutes, as would have to remove the tire first. Sucker is just too heavy with both on there at once.

Initial impressions:
1) This thing is friggin solid
2) It’s hard enough to lift a 65 lbs spare onto this thing, so I can’t imagine doing my Plan B which was my roof basket
3) It fits perfectly for me on the OEM hitch with good distance from the hatch
4) It’s tight, but not super difficult to open
5) “Most” rear view camera view is lost, as expected, but I can still see a little around the tire
6) It makes my Passport squat .35” lower in the rear than it did before, which I already had an issue with after the lift, as my rear was already about .5” lower than the front after my lift, which I already did not love, as personally hate the pre-runner look. Before was not noticeable, but now it’s quite obvious at .85” difference between front and rear.
Not the fault of the Ultra-swing by any means though of course.

I’ll try to get some day pics, but overall it’s a solid piece of hardware, but don’t think I’m going to like the squat, as once I’m loaded up with gear the rear squat may be unbearable.

My options at that point are:
A) Lift the rear more
B) Sell the Ultra-Swing and live with the spare secured in the back for trips, and just have the donut for around town.
C) Put it in storage and use on my next vehicle, as at least it’s not Passport specific

Will see how good or bad it looks like in the daylight tomorrow, and I have a trip coming up soon which will tell the tale on gear travel squat.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@johara1 … license plate relocates onto the tire swing, I just haven’t mounted it yet. And rear view camera personally for me isn’t that big of a deal. I’m 40, so most of my life was spent without them. They’re nice to have, but I’ll take a full size spare over it any day. Especially for times I’m traveling far from home, camping, or with a trailer, the donuts are fairly useless. Ok around town, but that’s about it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve decided to go with plan C for now, and just shove my full size spare in the back like this, which costs me around 8 sq ft of space, and makes the back under floor area not easily accessible. I can however get to the front under floor by just loosening one strap.

Uktraswing will sit in storage until:
A) I have a trip where I must have the extra interior space and need to move the spare
B) Someone wants to buy it
C) I buy another vehicle

·
Registered
2021 MSM Honda Passport Touring AWD
99 Posts
I’ve decided to go with plan C for now, and just shove my full size spare in the back like this, which costs me around 8 sq ft of space, and makes the back under floor area not easily accessible. I can however get to the front under floor by just loosening one strap.

A) I have a trip where I must have the extra interior space and need to move the spare
C) I buy another vehicle

View attachment 11404
Where did you get the tire cover you use when inside the trunk?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@The_Big_Aristotle ... They’re Kurgo Tire Totes: Seasonal Tire Totes - (4-Pack) which seem to be used by people who have dedicated winter tires they switch out with their all seasons every year. The tire totes allow you to wrap the tire as shown, has a carry handle, and little cards so you can mark which tire is which to help you rotate. I simply bought it for this. :giggle:

Reactions: linkdude64

·
Registered
2021 MSM Honda Passport Touring AWD
99 Posts
@The_Big_Aristotle ... They’re Kurgo Tire Totes: Seasonal Tire Totes - (4-Pack) which seem to be used by people who have dedicated winter tires they switch out with their all seasons every year. The tire totes allow you to wrap the tire as shown, has a carry handle, and little cards so you can mark which tire is which to help you rotate. I simply bought it for this. :giggle:
Gotcha. That’s what I thought. Thought there may be a single.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
883 Posts
Such a super clean install you did on the spare with the tire cover in the cargo area!

Same here, in my 40's and been driving since I was 15, so a rear camera is not that important to me.
That Rigd ultra swing looks so good!

Another plus for having the Rigd , will protect the rear.
The other day I was parked on the street in Seattle and saw a person that could not parallel park for crap and smashed into 2 cars while squeezing in the spot. 😬

·
Registered
402 Posts

C) I buy another vehicle

View attachment 11404
I'm liking this idea but can't tell from the pics how you attached the tie down straps to the small tie down anchors that are there. Do you feel this setup gives enough lateral stability so it won't tip over? I suspect that is what the wheel chocks help with.

I have all the parts and you and I have configured our vehicles pretty similar.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll try to get pics of how I have it secured, but basically there’s 1 ratchet strap on the front and back of the tire.
One strap loops through the front of the wheel on a spoke half way up the tire and through the rear cargo floor anchor point (I used a D-ring attached to it), and then the other strap goes through the rear of the wheel on the spoke about half way up through the front cargo floor anchor point (D-ring also used).

It definitely does not have any sway with the ratchet straps at all, but if you looped the straps too low to like the bottom of the wheel, it would impact the stability, so going high on the wheel is the key.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks! I will go get some D rings or such and give it a try next time I head out of town. I normally keep the tire flat in the back so I can close the cargo cover so people don't see what is in there but on trips I pile things high and cover with a sleeping bag instead.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Got my Passport rear lifted .75" more to offset the sag, and am about to travel so put the Ultraswing back on with the lighted license plate mount, and took some pics.
Install 2nd time takes about 30 minutes, with probably 15min of it just trying to get the stupid hole to line up so I can get the pin in.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive carrying rack Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
883 Posts
Love the setup!

Reactions: REALM and ProdGirl

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dirt.com's ultraswing spare tire carrier which was featured on the new Passport Trailsport version at the recent Aventure show in AZ will come out in the future with a Passport back up camera relocation or workaround kit per their customer service/sales contact. Dirt.com is aware that there will be a market for this kit and their sales for the UltraSwing likely to increase once the kit is available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.