Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20191004_161053.jpg

I have limitations with the height of my Passport (PP) getting in/out of my garage, so I’ve been researching crossbars that are more of a low profile. The stock Honda crossbars and the Thule & Yakima bars that clamp on top of your existing roof rails add too much height for my needs.

Yakima does however offer what’s called the RailBar (for a very expensive $458), a low profile crossbar that sits about the same height as the rails. This was originally manufactured by Whispbar and bought out by Yakima several years ago. You can still find new & used Whispbars for about half of what Yakima wants, but I could never find the larger S47 bar that is required for the PP.

In my research of the Whispbar I found some knockoffs or rebranded bars being sold at greatly reduced prices. The problem was none of them would say they were compatible with the PP because Whispbar doesn’t list anything past 2017. I did find a cross reference between the Yakima and Whispbar part numbers (see below).

The first one I bought thru Wal-Mart from Lt Sports titled: “Universal Roof Rack Top Rail Adjustable Clamp + Aluminum 47" Cross Bars Carries” for $175 (found slightly cheaper on EBay but purchased thru Wal-Mart because I could return easily).
https://tinyurl.com/y6dg62qw

The second one I bought for $68 on EBay from seller “Benzhug” Car Accessories, titled: “Roof Rack Cross Bars Luggage Carrier Set For 2009-2017 Honda Pilot Anti-Thief US”.
https://tinyurl.com/y6n74p4w
This bar is shown on EBay as being slightly curved to match the roof line but it was actually straight (same as the one above).

These two crossbars were exactly the same thing with the same instructions sheet, and the only difference was the key and the packaging.

The only obvious difference between these two and the Yakima bars (since I haven’t seen one in person) is that Yakima uses a slightly longer nut https://www.yakima.com/railbar-clamp-bolt-and-nut, making it easier to get the threads started, where the others use a standard nut. There is no branding or engraved part numbers on the pieces as you will see with Yakima’s.

Review:
The bars are expanded close to there limit of 47.25” so that reduces some of the rigidity. When applying force to the bar I get a slight movement coming from the connection where the adjustable bar slides into the clamp head (not from the clamp to the vehicle rails). The locked covers don’t fit exactly perfect but the Yakima’s look like they may be the same. These bars have a T-Slot for easily adding accessories which the Honda crossbars do not.
Since I am only using these for ski racks I am not so concerned with the strength. I would probably feel comfortable loading two road bikes but I certainly won’t be putting 5-6 mountain bikes as I did with my last vehicle. A cargo box would likely be ok as it probably doesn’t produce as much torque to the bars going around corners as multiple bike racks do.
Now I just need to paint them black.

Note: clamp nut is installed backwards in the photos (which is backwards from a normal installation)

20191004_161600.jpg 20191004_161053.jpg 20191004_155544.jpg 20191004_155516.jpg 20191004_154817.jpg 20191004_154739.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
If its same I'm seeing from your link, they have a Make Offer price. So might get it for slight less. I put it on Watch and that usually drives the prices down abit too. Looks cool. Thanks, Ich Bein der Sprocket, LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not intentional on hijacking your thread and also I’m Not a PP owner yet but May i ask what is the exact height from the ground up to the top edge of the rail vs top of cross bar? As this will be one of the important information I need to confirm from folks like you as this may be the only deciding factor I may choose outback over PP. as I only have a 72.0” opening on my garage door and Honda website lists the height as 71.6”.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not intentional on hijacking your thread and also I’m Not a PP owner yet but May i ask what is the exact height from the ground up to the top edge of the rail vs top of cross bar? As this will be one of the important information I need to confirm from folks like you as this may be the only deciding factor I may choose outback over PP. as I only have a 72.0” opening on my garage door and Honda website lists the height as 71.6”.
I had similar clearance issues and that is why I went with this crossbar. If your clearance issue is with the garage door and not the header, take a look at adjusting the door so it opens further.

The crossbar extends 7/8" above the top of the roof rail.

The height from ground to top of crossbar is approx 72 3/4".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had similar clearance issues and that is why I went with this crossbar. If your clearance issue is with the garage door and not the header, take a look at adjusting the door so it opens further.

The crossbar extends 7/8" above the top of the roof rail.

The height from ground to top of crossbar is approx 72 3/4".
thank you for the reply sprocket.....
Coincidentally was watching that on you tube the weekend but was so tired from doing yard work that I forgot to adjust mine. Will try it this week...and also want to ask you again if you don’t mind...did you had an issue opening up your moon roof while you have your skis/boards or any box hooked up on the low profile crossbar?

thanks in advance again.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
798 Posts
thank you for the reply sprocket.....
Coincidentally was watching that on you tube the weekend but was so tired from doing yard work that I forgot to adjust mine. Will try it this week...and also want to ask you again if you don’t mind...did you had an issue opening up your moon roof while you have your skis/boards or any box hooked up on the low profile crossbar?

thanks in advance again.
It’s better to ask these questions upfront to avoid surprises. Plenty of helpful people here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
..and also want to ask you again if you don’t mind...did you had an issue opening up your moon roof while you have your skis/boards or any box hooked up on the low profile crossbar?
I'm not sure what you mean by issues opening the moon roof?
I only use ski racks on the crossbars, ski bindings come close to hitting the roof but so far everyones have cleared it.

20200207_162638[1].jpg 20200207_163056[1].jpg 20200207_163129[1].jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts