Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
722 Posts
The system isn't saying they're overinflated, but I'm wondering if I drop them 8-10lbs, will I trigger an alert?
Yes, you should adjust the pressure to the recommended pressure on the car’s door jam. It should not cause a low pressure alert. With the higher pressure, your tires will be too high when hot.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like your psi is too high. If you are driving on the OEM size tires check the drivers door sticker to see the suggested pressure and set to there. If you have something other than the OEM's then you might want to check and see what the recommended pressure should be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, you should adjust the pressure to the recommended pressure on the car’s door jam. It should not cause a low pressure alert. With the higher pressure, your tires will be too high when hot.
Yes, I understand this :) I was just asking if it would throw an alert when it saw the big drop in pressure, and if it did, how would I fix that if I couldn't recalibrate the TPMS.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
722 Posts
Yes, I understand this :) I was just asking if it would throw an alert when it saw the big drop in pressure, and if it did, how would I fix that if I couldn't recalibrate the TPMS.
You should not get an alert unless you are well below the recommended pressure. Check the pressure of the tires with a handheld gauge if you are not confident of the onboard tire pressure display. There is nothing to calibrate or adjust with the TPMS. If you have a problem, visit the dealership service for warranty repair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With respect, please stop speaking to me as if I've never owned or worked on a car before.
When the car was PDI'd, I didn't know if the dealer had a way to 'set' the current pressure via TPMS as the norm or not. When the car had its PDI done, they set the pressure extremely high. I get that. But my concern was whether the car 'thought' that pressure was now the norm and as such, would throw a light if I dropped it by 10lbs. For example, my wife's Civic can be calibrated at whatever pressure you want, and when it drops, you get an alert; I could set hers at 60psi if I wanted to and the car would act as if that was the new normal once I did the calibration reset.

I'm seeing now that this is a different TPMS system than some other cars (including the other one in my driveway - well, the one that WAS there, she just got a CR-V) may have, in that it just 'knows' the right pressure and that's that.

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
475 Posts
I didn't know if the dealer had a way to 'set' the current pressure via TPMS as the norm or not. But my concern was whether the car 'thought' that pressure was now the norm and as such, would throw a light if I dropped it by 10lbs. For example, my wife's Civic can be calibrated at whatever pressure you want, and when it drops, you get an alert; I could set hers at 60psi if I wanted to and the car would act as if that was the new normal once I did the calibration reset.

I'm seeing now that this is a different TPMS system than some other cars (including the other one in my driveway - well, the one that WAS there, she just got a CR-V) may have, in that it just 'knows' the right pressure and that's that.
Not man-speaking, but my understanding is Honda has used both direct & indirect TPMS. Our Passport uses an automatic relearn direct TPMS, which is non-programmable. Our TPMS has a preset low pressure value, with no upper limit; therefore running 3 tires at 50 psi and 1 tire at 35 psi will not result in a TPMS warning. Though psi difference is greater than 10 psi and 30% from other 3 tires, the lower pressure tire is not below the level that was preprogrammed in the ECU.
Per manual: "The Low Tire Pressure/TPMS indicator will not come on as a result of over inflation."

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
Hello,

A couple of months ago I switched over to 18" Ridgeline wheels and Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in size 265/60/18.

As discussed in another thread, the ideal pressure for these tires is probably around 32PSI. So I set them at 32 (based on 2 accurate hand-gauges) and despite the TPMS reading 1-2 PSI lower (= 30-31 PSI on the display), I didn't receive a low pressure warning.

Then I did, and then I didn't, etc. and etc. I increased the pressure slightly to around 34 (again according to hand gauge, which meant 32-33 on display) and same story. Mostly "OK" (no warning), but then the warning.

My local dealer says they won't adjust TPMS lower then door sticker, and I guess I can understand that from a possible liability perspective.

I would think that any "learning" of these TPMS should have finished by now. What are my options (if any) to possibly reset/adjust the TPMS?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Same boat here, i went back up to 35 (about half way between what calculators say it should be and what the door sticker says). I'm still not 100% sure door sticker shouldn't be used always as chalk test was barely different at the various pressures.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You should try keeping things correct here in Fargo, ND where the temps can vary by 30 degrees in one day, usually colder I might add. I have just decided to manually adjust the tire pressures with my handy dandy inflator every month or so. When the temps drop, so does the tire pressure thus the low readings. Conversely if the temps go way up your readings will zoom. I shoot for 34psi in the morning prior to driving the vehicle and let nature take its course.:whistle:

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite, Black Copper Pearl
6 Posts
You should try keeping things correct here in Fargo, ND where the temps can vary by 30 degrees in one day, usually colder I might add. I have just decided to manually adjust the tire pressures with my handy dandy inflator every month or so. When the temps drop, so does the tire pressure thus the low readings. Conversely if the temps go way up your readings will zoom. I shoot for 34psi in the morning prior to driving the vehicle and let nature take its course.:whistle:
Nice to se another cold NODAK with a Passport

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
Well I'm in western Nebraska, and while we don't get quite the swings you get up there in ND, we do get plenty of swinging--particularly with this record-setting warm Fall. 'Could be that this is the main issue I'm having. I'm thinking that shooting for 34-35psi is probably a good strategy :)

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
I think you're probably right. I'm going to shoot for 34-35 and see how that plays out :)

Same boat here, i went back up to 35 (about half way between what calculators say it should be and what the door sticker says). I'm still not 100% sure door sticker shouldn't be used always as chalk test was barely different at the various pressures.

·
Registered
'21 EX-L AWD 18" Ridgeline Wheels, 265/60 Cooper AT3 4S, Curt Hitch, Dashcam
34 Posts
Hello,

A couple of months ago I switched over to 18" Ridgeline wheels and Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in size 265/60/18.

As discussed in another thread, the ideal pressure for these tires is probably around 32PSI.
I posted to the other thread with some readings I took this morning. Looks like the sweet (or sour?) spot on mine is 28psi before throwing a warning.

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
What I don't understand is why the display psi isn't even consistent as far as when I get the warning. I've had the display psi showing as low as 30 with no warning. But this afternoon I had to air up until the display showed 35 (37 on my hand gauge) before the warning disappeared. Maybe I'm not understanding how the display psi relates to what the sensor is reading?

·
Registered
'21 EX-L AWD 18" Ridgeline Wheels, 265/60 Cooper AT3 4S, Curt Hitch, Dashcam
34 Posts
What I don't understand is why the display psi isn't even consistent as far as when I get the warning. I've had the display psi showing as low as 30 with no warning. But this afternoon I had to air up until the display showed 35 (37 on my hand gauge) before the warning disappeared. Maybe I'm not understanding how the display psi relates to what the sensor is reading?
Only thing I can think of would be a delay in the dash display updating it's sampling of the pressure monitors in the wheels. (?)
I think the TPMS systems in vehicles are a benefit, both safety, MPG, and helps keep wear on the tires at a minimum, but I HATE having no ability to turn off the warning light, and the added cost.

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
So that preset low pressure value can't be changed via any of the consumer devices or dealer devices--say to a lower threshold for those of us who have gone to 18" wheels and differently-sized (and rated) tires for which the door sticker pressures wouldn't necessarily apply?

And do we have some actual confirmation of what that preset low pressure value actually is? Folks have posted/speculated on what that might be, but would be nice to know what that number actually is via Honda's engineers, etc.

[snip] Our Passport uses an automatic relearn direct TPMS, which is non-programmable. Our TPMS has a preset low pressure value, with no upper limit; [snip]

·
Registered
109 Posts
FWIW, I believe the TPMS readout only gets more accurate after the vehicle has been driven a little. Mine seldom matches my tire gauge when filling the tire, but seems to come around after driving a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have a low tire pressure warning on my left front tire. My tire guy added air all around but the warning light has nit reset. I don't have the option on screen for the tire pressure reset. What can I do?
Thank you,
Lisa

21 - 40 of 40 Posts