Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to recalibrate/reset the low tire pressure warning. I am in Chicago and it got cold quick, and I want to recalibrate. How can I do this? I am used to either a button or a setting option to cali rate.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
718 Posts
It does not exist on the Passport. There is a TPMS sensor on each wheel that relay the pressure to the car's electronics. Just refill tires to recommended pressures and drive.

Other types of TPMS use an indirect method for measuring tire pressure and does not have physical sensors on each wheel. This is the type that you may have had?

Text Font Line Document

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi all,

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to recalibrate/reset the low tire pressure warning. I am in Chicago and it got cold quick, and I want to recalibrate. How can I do this? I am used to either a button or a setting option to cali rate.
I was told by Discount Tire that some vehicles need to be recalibrated...some do not....I was told my MDX is self calibrating..You should call up your car dealer to get the straight scoop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not exist on the Passport. There is a TPMS sensor on each wheel that relay the pressure to the car's electronics. Just refill tires to recommended pressures and drive.

Other types of TPMS use an indirect method for measuring tire pressure and does not have physical sensors on each wheel. This is the type that you may have had?

View attachment 4209
This is so interesting. I get the advantage of this, but also all 4 of my tires are at 34psi and it shows two if them are low pressure. I am not sure how or why that is possible, and I have owned the vehicle for a month.

If all 4 are at 34 psi, but two show orange (for low pressure) and two show green for correct pressure, that cant be cleared? Seems like a flaw.

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
718 Posts
This is so interesting. I get the advantage of this, but also all 4 of my tires are at 34psi and it shows two if them are low pressure. I am not sure how or why that is possible, and I have owned the vehicle for a month.

If all 4 are at 34 psi, but two show orange (for low pressure) and two show green for correct pressure, that cant be cleared? Seems like a flaw.
I'm curious which two are orange versus the two that are green? Front versus rear low tire pressure warning may be set to a different threshold? Recommended tire pressure for my Elite is 37psi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious which two are orange versus the two that are green? Front versus rear low tire pressure warning may be set to a different threshold? Recommended tire pressure for my Elite is 37psi.
Front and rear driver side tires. It got cold in Chicago VERY fast, so will inflate to 37ish and hope that solves it! I'll report back. Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I do not quite understand the PP TPMS system either. What if I want to run a higher or lower pressure than 37 psi w/o getting a warning. How do I do that?

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
718 Posts
I do not quite understand the PP TPMS system either. What if I want to run a higher or lower pressure than 37 psi w/o getting a warning. How do I do that?
The high and low thresholds are set several PSI from recommended pressure. When your tires are cold in the morning or hot while driving, it is not sufficient to trigger the TPMS warning. So, you have some tolerance with the tire pressure. If the pressure is above or below the thresholds due to a puncture, extreme temperature changes, intentional pressure reduction for off-road use or using a wheel without a TPMS sensor (such as a spare), the TPMS will be displayed and it cannot be suppressed. This is the nanny-state of automotive safety.

Ignore the warning or do as Penny does...

·
Registered
266 Posts

Really doubt it is a flaw. The low threshold is right around 34. Sensor resolution matters, and I really doubt the resolution is 1 psi even if that is the display resolution. I checked the dash reading against my precision handheld digital meter and it is within half a psi, they are accurate enough.

There should be no need to calibrate if the sensors are not way out. Otherwise, that is just hiding a sensor problem. If the sensors are accurate and temp changes the pressure, that is physics and exactly how it should work. In winter you should be measuring and setting pressure back up to ~37, relative to the pre-driving temperature on the average winter day in your area.

Pressure is always relative to temperature so rather than try to change the numbers, fill up the tires!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Really doubt it is a flaw. The low threshold is right around 34. Sensor resolution matters, and I really doubt the resolution is 1 psi even if that is the display resolution. I checked the dash reading against my precision handheld digital meter and it is within half a psi, they are accurate enough.

There should be no need to calibrate if the sensors are not way out. Otherwise, that is just hiding a sensor problem. If the sensors are accurate and temp changes the pressure, that is physics and exactly how it should work. In winter you should be measuring and setting pressure back up to ~37, relative to the pre-driving temperature on the average winter day in your area.

Pressure is always relative to temperature so rather than try to change the numbers, fill up the tires!
Also, some air is lost just by driving around on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tire pressure went down and then back up. They are all showing the same pressure but one is green and three are red. So the only way to shut it off is to put more air in them??? That is annoying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First cold snap yesterday, two of my tires say low pressure, yet all four tires have the same PSI of 32.

My tire pressure went down and then back up. They are all showing the same pressure but one is green and three are red. So the only way to shut it off is to put more air in them??? That is annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
Inside the drivers door jam is a TIRE label, it lists the CORRECT pressure for your OEM equipped tires.
If you're outside of those limits then you will get a warning.

245/50/20 35 pounds
265/45/20 37 pounds
Compact Spare 60 pounds

A very simple solution is to run the correct pressure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Inside the drivers door jam is a TIRE label, it lists the CORRECT pressure for your OEM equipped tires.
If you're outside of those limits then you will get a warning.

245/50/20 35 pounds
265/45/20 37 pounds
Compact Spare 60 pounds

A very simple solution is to run the correct pressure.
I'd disagree with you a bit on that. The label lists the recommended tire pressure based on factory research with handling, MPG and comfort factored in. The correct pressure is what you believe is best for your driving characteristics! If it were my everyday ride, I'd be at a bit below 37. But SWMBO likes 37.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
There are owners who add additional air to this 'recommended' pressure - to gain better MPGs.
There also are owners who intentionally bleed air out so as to gain a better feel for the road.
Additionally there are many who never check their tire pressure.

I believe the tire and auto engineers have a better understanding of the various trade-offs made to ensure comfort, provide good handling and SAFETY.

They designed the TMPS to reflect their recommendations; when you see a TPMS alert its time to properly inflate all four tires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There are owners who add additional air to this 'recommended' pressure - to gain better MPGs.
There also are owners who intentionally bleed air out so as to gain a better feel for the road.
Additionally there are many who never check their tire pressure.

I believe the tire and auto engineers have a better understanding of the various trade-offs made to ensure comfort, provide good handling and SAFETY.

They designed the TMPS to reflect their recommendations; when you see a TPMS alert its time to properly inflate all four tires.

Seconded. The alerts aren't annoying, they are keeping us safe. Especially with these skimpy 20" tires you want proper pressure. Pressure changes with temperature. I've only had to fill once and I live in the cold. I don't understand all the complaints about being notified by the vehicle of something you should be monitoring anyway. Have people been driving around with drastically over or under inflated tires all this time? Probably. That chews up tires too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
First cold snap yesterday, two of my tires say low pressure, yet all four tires have the same PSI of 32.
The sensors have fractional precision, the display has only whole numbers. That is why at the threshold some tires may show low and others not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also found this thread when researching how to reset TPMS like I can in my wife's Civic.
So here's a question... my new PP came to me inflated to 45-47 on all four corners (yes, cold). The system isn't saying they're overinflated, but I'm wondering if I drop them 8-10lbs, will I trigger an alert?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts