·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found it while searching for used 2019 PP on Autotrader

Anybody tracking this recall?

Recall #Y7Y 2019-20 Multi model Front Control Box

Did a search on the forum and saw nothing.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, thats what I posted the link to above
all I know is I checked my VIN and have no TSBs so that won't apply to me I guess
:) taking mine in to the dealership tomorrow...said it was just a software update

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
313 Posts
Interesting - but does it help with the time delay when going into or out of Reverse?
Does it make the car shift from Reverse to Drive and not hesitate when driving forward? No, unfortunately, it still hesitates.

·
Registered
217 Posts
:) taking mine in to the dealership tomorrow...said it was just a software update
The safety recalls shown above are for the 2020 model. Or at least that's the only model that has presented this message so far.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
PANDA is our resident TSB expert, let's see what he has to add...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I received the same notice as @kgamsg posted above. Apparently (my dealer?) signed me up for a Carfax service of some type, so they sent me an email. I did a software update yesterday, but if that’s what the recall was referring to, it is really strange to call it a “recall” !

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
209 Posts
I received the same notice as @kgamsg posted above. Apparently (my dealer?) signed me up for a Carfax service of some type, so they sent me an email. I did a software update yesterday, but if that’s what the recall was referring to, it is really strange to call it a “recall” !
Same here, my dealer set me up with the CarFax service and received the e-mail notice. I did the software update when I saw the notice on the head unit. Agree not sure if these are both one in the same issue, if so calling it a recall seems like overkill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was at the dealer today for an oil change and tire rotation, and they said the recalls are for a software update to a fuel sensor, and another item that require parts, but they didn’t elaborate.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Brought the 2019 PP in to dealer today to replace headlight that was fogging up. I asked them to check for recalls. They said there was one that involved the gauge cluster. Only their #1 tech could do the work. It involves an update to the cluster and the cluster has to be removed from the dash to do that. So I am leaving it overnight. I checked my email a bit later and Dept of Trans. had sent me an email re the very same issue. The cluster can just go blank. For on e good timing on my part. ...I did tell them to not touch the infotainment in any way as I have had no issues with that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
when I put my VIN into the Honda site it said no recalls. Did (or does if you haven't yet had the work done) it come up for you? I suspect they don't show all valid recalls but not sure. I've never got email from Dept of Trans - what state does that? And what kind of issue was it about?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Brought the 2019 PP in to dealer today to replace headlight that was fogging up. I asked them to check for recalls. They said there was one that involved the gauge cluster. Only their #1 tech could do the work. It involves an update to the cluster and the cluster has to be removed from the dash to do that. So I am leaving it overnight. I checked my email a bit later and Dept of Trans. had sent me an email re the very same issue. The cluster can just go blank. For on e good timing on my part. ...I did tell them to not touch the infotainment in any way as I have had no issues with that.
A Passport owner Daltongang posted on the Pilot forum that he had his done. He posted "Took 47 minutes from the time I drove into the shop until the time they pulled it out of the car wash. Pretty painless recall In my book."

Doesn't sound like the cluster has to come out. Only a software update using a Honda tool known as a Combimeter. Honda says in their Service Bulletin 20-047

Make sure you have completed online training module ECC30: Combimeter Reflash Procedure before doing this update. Claims submitted without this training will be rejected."

Reactions: Cilles

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
313 Posts
That's good information to know before I head down to the dealership. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
190 Posts
There is an OTA infotainment update that is available using your WiFi connection . . . however there is a specific Service Bulletin regarding new recall in this thread:
Post Honda Service Bulletins Here

This is not a TSB - it is a RECALL; it requires Honda tech to disassemble gauge cluster for repair. If you are concerned about your service department's care/respect of your vehicle (Beachbum07, ProdGirl, & others including myself), especially around the gloss black trim;. take several detailed pictures of your dash area >before< leaving your car at dealership . . . better to have picture-proof to document possible cosmetic damage 🤬

Reactions: mtgriff

·
Registered
12 Posts
when I put my VIN into the Honda site it said no recalls. Did (or does if you haven't yet had the work done) it come up for you? I suspect they don't show all valid recalls but not sure. I've never got email from Dept of Trans - what state does that? And what kind of issue was it about?
2020 Touring AWD here. I checked yesterday and it said 0 recalls. Checked again today and got notices for 20V-439 and 20V-440.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Below is what I received from Dept. Of Trans.:
I looked into some of the available info included. It does mention the techs have to use a Honda Combimeter. Some gauge clusters have a connector on the back some do not. Maybe that is why my service advisor said the gauge cluster has to come out while others do not. Then again, service advisors have not been know to be the most knowledgable ;-) I will update after picking it up tomorrow.

From: "U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)" <[email protected]>
Date: 8/4/20 2:02 AM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Important Recall Info That MAY Affect Your Vehicle
Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.
Why am I getting this email?

You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.
The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.
To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.
NHTSA Recall ID Number :
20V439
Manufacturer :
Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)
Subject :
Instrument Panel Software Incorrect/FMVSS 101/111
MakeModelModel Years
HONDAODYSSEY2018-2020
HONDAPASSPORT2019-2020
HONDAPILOT2019-2021

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
190 Posts
I looked into some of the available info included. It does mention the techs have to use a Honda Combimeter. Some gauge clusters have a connector on the back some do not. Maybe that is why my service advisor said the gauge cluster has to come out while others do not.
Removal of gauge cluster is required regardless of connector . . . refer to page 8 of the Service Bulletin.
And I got l-o-t-s of tools, but it's doubtful any service facility except a dealership could afford a Combimeter in their service department (attachment below). $$$$$

The complete recall information regarding this is located in the Passport TSB thread(y)

More info here:
This recall affects 600,000 Passports, Odyssey, & Pilots

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts