Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a rattle from the rear undercarriage when going over bumps. You can only hear it with the window open. I've gone under and can't seem to find the cause. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem in my Passport Sport. Brought it to the dealer I got the vehicle from three times. They said it was due to the parking brake brackets being loose. The third time they had it for a day and when I picked it up last Monday I didn’t hear the rattle. That is until today when I decided to listen again just to make sure. Sure enough I went over some bumps in the road and I heard the rattle again. I really can’t believe it and I think I should bring it to another dealership for service.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got under mine and noticed if I hit the parking brake cables there was some rattle, but I don't think it's the same noise. I only hear mine with the window down and going slow (about 15mph). I checked under the spare tire as in the previous post for out of place tool. Everything was in the right place. I wonder how they tightened the brackets. The cables just go through a loop but I suppose they may have just squeezed the loop tighter.
Please keep me posted and thanks

·
Read Only
160 Posts
I got under mine and noticed if I hit the parking brake cables there was some rattle, but I don't think it's the same noise. I only hear mine with the window down and going slow (about 15mph). I checked under the spare tire as in the previous post for out of place tool. Everything was in the right place. I wonder how they tightened the brackets. The cables just go through a loop but I suppose they may have just squeezed the loop tighter.
Please keep me posted and thanks
My guess is sway bar bushings. All hondas have clunky sway bar sounds in my experience. My new passport does, at least I assume thats what it is. Only other sound I hear is the diff thunking now and then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is sway bar bushings. All hondas have clunky sway bar sounds in my experience. My new passport does, at least I assume thats what it is. Only other sound I hear is the diff thunking now and then.
Sway bar bushings on brand new vehicle? My son had a 2008 Element and bushings had to be replaced because of rattle at about 80k miles.

·
Read Only
160 Posts
Sway bar bushings on brand new vehicle? My son had a 2008 Element and bushings had to be replaced because of rattle at about 80k miles.
I have found on some hondas that the sway bars just make noise at the bushings, even if the bushings are fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have a fix for this or is it the bushings? Mine is doing the same thing I noticed yesterday when my windows were down.

·
Read Only
160 Posts
Anyone have a fix for this or is it the bushings? Mine is doing the same thing I noticed yesterday when my windows were down.
A quick test could be to spray some water underneath where the sway bar and bushings are on each side. See how it affects the sounds.

It could also just be exhaust or heatshields in that area.

·
Read Only
160 Posts
I have found on some hondas that the sway bars just make noise at the bushings, even if the bushings are fine.
Also it could be the sway bar endlinks. I believe the 10k service calls for those to be checked/torqued. Hondas just do have noisy suspension though so I don’t worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone teat drove another passport than the one they own to see if it's in all vehicles?
I have 2019 passport. Bought it new and driving down my street there are 3 of the large speedbumps where the entire car rides on top for a quick second before driving off. My front right has a major clunk. Iys heard from inside the vehicle. I had a 2015 CRV, my wife has a 2020 crv, and neither make a bit of clunking noise. I've owned 10 cars in my life and worked on many more. I have even been a passenger In many friends cars. I know cars well enough to know that sound me something is wrong. A ball joint, swaybar, something. I see some people in the forum saying oh ya honda has loud suspension or loud sway bar and I guess for a rattle that may be true as some people post here but personally I am having an obvious clunk/bang noise not a rattle. In my experience that means something I'd bad.

Took it back to the dealership and they drove it around their block. Said they didn't hear anything. No kidding, I told them over bumps! Asked if they would take 15 minutes and drive down my street they said no. They said I'm driving over speed bumps too fast lol. I drive twice as fast in our crv and no noise.
My next idea is to go test drive another passport and see try to take it by my house on the bumps.
I hear the clunk over lesser bumps around town as well but it's not as horrific as speed bumps. It's really pissing me off. I saw somewhere that a dealership changed out several parts for someone and the clunk went away.
Since it's all under warranty If I knew what the cause was I would pay upfront and when they see it's a bad joint they can refund me... well they probably wouldnt but at this point I would spend $800 to make the clunk go away.

Has anyone had luck finding the mother clunking problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Going to throw my experience in here: I bought my 2020 Passport and within 4 days had an awful rattle that seemed to be coming from the rear somewhere.

Turns out it was from two places: first, I removed the dealer frame around my license plate. After that the license place was loose and it rattled over bumps. I put a blank frame on with rubber spacers to keep the plate stable and that rattle went away.

The other rattle came from my spare tire...I pulled it out to examine the sub woofer for an audio upgrade, and when I put it back the metal plate that presses the spare tire down was not fully secure. I laid a cloth rag over the spare and then screwed the plate down on top of the, which fixed it.

Now my Passport is solid and rattle free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reviving this thread. Mine is only two days old, hit some bumpy roads today and heard the rattle. Saw this thread, dove under the car and checked the ebrake cables and sure enough thats the culprit. Not sure if its a bad design or what but at least its not a structural or suspension problem or anything like that. Ill ask the dealer when I go for my first service if there is a fix.

IMO, annoying rattles are MUCH less annoying when you know what they are and it isnt anything broken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts