Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Obsidian Blue Pearl Honda Passport Elite
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just took delivery on a new 2020 Obsidian Blue 2020 Passport. I love the vehicle and everything about it except I get a small squeak in the back when I drive over slightly uneven roads. I thought it might be in the compartments by the spare tire. Couldn’t find I there. I am going to lube the door seals ( especially the tail gate) with Honda silicon grease to see if this solves the issue. Any other ideas?
I know, I’m picky. My 18 year old s2k is solid as a rock.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
I've had no unusual squeaks and have done some dirt roads, I'm planning on a Camping Trip in early October which will give me a chance to try out my new (July) All-Terrain tires and (18") wheels.

If your oiling does not fix it, your next (obvious) step is taking it back to the dealer, Another PP owner here, had something loose under the vehicle, that the dealer was able to tighten.. **** luck...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,871 Posts
Is it a squeak or creak like an old pick up truck?

I had a creak that drove me nuts because the passport is so quiet.
Finally, I narrowed it down to the back seat and sprayed oil on and tightened anything I could get to and It stopped!

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
I had this very annoying sound coming from the back seat every time we went anywhere, it did stop when I let my wife ride up front.... cue high-hat...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hope this earlier post of mine helps other's out that have a "Rattle Coming from the back seat area" I originally didn't know if it was the front passenger seat or the "B Pillar" trim (Front seat belt area) or it was the back seat or rr door trim rattle... it drove me nuts from the first cold day I owned my Passport. Cold made it worse. So... I pulled the back seat out and bingo... 2 culprits. There is a cable under the seat (see pic below) routed thru a plastic clip and an inertia "ear" (I'm pointing to it in pic below) that also rattles along the latch area. I fluid filmed the ear and I put foam wrap on the cable and put it back in the plastic guide with the foam tape. The vehicle for the first time is quiet with NO Rattles! I am celebrating tonight! LOL. That was rattle-city! Honda needs to be more careful for this type of issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice work on finding the rattle. What did it take to remove the back seat? 2 bolts? I looked up fluid film so I get that. Do you have a pic of the wrapped cable or was it bare and that is a wrapped pic. Also can you tell what that cable goes to?

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my second picture (see post above) you can see the cable, as it's black and loops thru the white plastic L-shaped hanger. See pic 2.
Not sure what it's for possibly a cable to fold the rear seat back from the lever on side of seat?? but there is an electrical harness for the heated seats next to it also. On Elites and Touring the rear seats are heated. I took foam wrap and put it only on the black cable and tucked it back into its bracket. I believe that cable, which has a hard protective sleeve around it is the source of most of ticking- rattle sound as it loosely fits in that (also) hard white bracket....driving down a slightly bumpy road, it was an orchestra of ticking and rattling. It sounded like 2 pieces of plastic rubbing / rattling together. Problem has been solved since doing this.
The seats come apart by popping the 2 plastic trim pieces on the floor in the rear allowing you to access the the rear seat bolts. Pretty straight forward to figure out the rest. My left seat behind the driver never had an issue, so I left it alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope this earlier post of mine helps other's out that have a "Rattle Coming from the back seat area" I originally didn't know if it was the front passenger seat or the "B Pillar" trim (Front seat belt area) or it was the back seat or rr door trim rattle... it drove me nuts from the first cold day I owned my Passport. Cold made it worse. So... I pulled the back seat out and bingo... 2 culprits. There is a cable under the seat (see pic below) routed thru a plastic clip and an inertia "ear" (I'm pointing to it in pic below) that also rattles along the latch area. I fluid filmed the ear and I put foam wrap on the cable and put it back in the plastic guide with the foam tape. The vehicle for the first time is quiet with NO Rattles! I am celebrating tonight! LOL. That was rattle-city! Honda needs to be more careful for this type of issue.

Attachments
This will be very helpful information for my husband. I have the rattle in my 2020 Elite, but I also have a squeak. Both are worse when the weather is cooler, and they occur on subtle sustained bumps, not large ones. Of course the noises stopped when I took it to the dealer, and I could hear their eyes rolling on the phone when I tried to explain it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This will be very helpful information for my husband. I have the rattle in my 2020 Elite, but I also have a squeak. Both are worse when the weather is cooler, and they occur on subtle sustained bumps, not large ones. Of course the noises stopped when I took it to the dealer, and I could hear their eyes rolling on the phone when I tried to explain it.
I'm pretty sure that this will fix both of your issues. It's an easy fix once you loosen the back seat cushion on the right side. Let us all know if it's better once you / your husband does the fix. Foam tape or small pipe wrap from a Hardware store / Home Depot works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this will fix both of your issues. It's an easy fix once you loosen the back seat cushion on the right side. Let us all know if it's better once you / your husband does the fix. Foam tape or small pipe wrap from a Hardware store / Home Depot works great.
We used this cable wrap to do as you suggested Amazon.com: Alex Tech 10ft - 1/2 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black: Home Improvement and it seems to be working very well! We were also able to do it without removing the seat ... it just took some serious contortion artistry to get in there. It's so nice to not feel that dread waiting to hear the rattle or squeak every time I drive. Thanks so much for your help! We are very grateful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Turns out it is not related to the foam of the spare tire kit (an admin will be removing my previous post). The noise continued even after removing the kit entirely. So, back to the drawing board. It is also not related to the cargo cover. I completely folded that over onto the back seats and drove around a bit like that and the noise continues. It seems to switch to the driver side of the vehicle (in the door frame) as well from time to time but mostly stays to the cargo area. The sound typically happens when accelerating, turning and hitting bumps. Definitely a squeak...not a rattle or creak. The creak is a deeper sound...someone compared that sound to an old ship. That is not this...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Touring AWD
19 Posts
Can you replicate the squeak from outside the vehicle? (With someone else driving)

I had something similar and found out it could be the dust cover that surrounds your rotors. When my passport hit potholes or sometimes during turns, I would hear a tiny “chirp” like sound that turned out to be my front passenger rotor dust cover making contact with the rotor momentarily. Pried it away with a flathead tool and good as new.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you replicate the squeak from outside the vehicle? (With someone else driving)

I had something similar and found out it could be the dust cover that surrounds your rotors. When my passport hit potholes or sometimes during turns, I would hear a tiny “chirp” like sound that turned out to be my front passenger rotor dust cover making contact with the rotor momentarily. Pried it away with a flathead tool and good as new.
My sound is internal. I'm going to take it to the dealer to have them troubleshoot with a chassis ear. It's mostly in the cargo area but occasionally in the driver's door frame. This is my first Honda and I'm not impressed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts